PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a VX?

Jigg
02/21/2007, 10:39 AM
Hey All,
I'm planning on building up a VX as a show/demonstration vehicle for my offroad accessories company. I can't think of any other 4x4 with the options and the head-turning effect that these vehicles have.

I'm mainly a Chevy guy (ZR2's in particular), and i know that there are certain option packages and features that one should look for when purchasing a ZR2, along with common problems to watch out for.

My question is, what should I look for when buying a VX? I'm going to start looking relatively soon, but won't really concentrate on buying for another 6 or 8 months unless i find something awesome.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Justin

etlsport
02/21/2007, 11:11 AM
welcome!!
if you look through recent posts, theres a very nicely maintained proton yellow VX for sale in New Jersey.. id seriously consider that one

there arent really packages on the VX.. its either a VX or an ironman VX (white paint, roof rack and ironman decals on seats and outside of the VX, but other than that, identical to all others)

if you use the search feature of the site, you will come up with lots of results, this question gets asked once or twice a month

Jigg
02/21/2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks... i just searched around a bit and it seems like the windows are the most common problem? I can deal with that. I checked into the ironman edition, and that doesn't seem like anything i'd look for specifically.

Thanks for the heads up on the yellow one in NJ. I'm very specifically looking for a black or silver one with the black/grey interior

JHarris1385
02/21/2007, 12:20 PM
2000 and 01's come with auto-climate control. and stock 18'' wheels.

Jigg
02/21/2007, 12:24 PM
Awesome. I think i'd have to find an '00 or '01 based on the color/interior options i'm looking for, right?

Is there any market for the stock 18's? I'd be lifting it and replacing the wheels/tires right away.

JHarris1385
02/21/2007, 12:26 PM
Yes there is.

1.) It makes a good full spare for someone.
2.) They is normally one on ebay at all times going for about $200+ (they are discountinued)

Jigg
02/21/2007, 12:37 PM
Awesome, thanks.

One other question, does the vehicross share any parts with other vehicles? I read that the trooper skidplates will fit on it?

JHarris1385
02/21/2007, 12:40 PM
3.5 engine is on the passport, rodeo, tropper......They also share other random parts with each other. Any other parts you have in mind?

etlsport
02/21/2007, 12:52 PM
i just pulled a new dashboard from a 90's (forget what year.. i think 96) rodeo thats identical except color

the video from this thread talks about similarities the VX has to other isuzus

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10295&highlight=isuzu+video

nfpgasmask
02/21/2007, 01:01 PM
I would look for:

1) A good stock VX with lower miles (I say stock cause you never know what kind of hack jobs were done before you, not everyone does clean mods)

2) Good maintenance records

3) Roof rack (this is a big pain to locate after the fact)

4) Your choice of color

I think windows and oil consumption are the two main things to "watch out for".

Bart