PDA

View Full Version : is this normal??

etlsport
02/18/2007, 05:53 PM
changed my oil today.. as i was putting the bottles of used oil in a bag a couple hours afterwards to get ready to take them up to be disposed of.. i noticed at the bottom of a couple of the bottles there looked to be sediment of some kind.. when i turned the bottles over they kind of looked like air bubbles.. the biggest deposit of it was in the last bottle i poured.. i heard somewhere that sometimes metal shavings showed up in oil before engine failure :( ... i really am paranoid about my VX.... anyway, im gonna take the oil to a shop tomorrow and have a mechanic take a look at it just in case, any ideas what it might be that i could suggest? i plan on taking a magnet to it later to see if that has any effect (ie look for metal in it)

forgot to mention.. this was my third oil change with quaker state 4x4 synthetic 10w30

Triathlete
02/18/2007, 07:27 PM
If it is metal you can determine that easily with a magnet.

IndianaVX
02/18/2007, 08:00 PM
i havent done it to my vx yet, but i have put a drain plug with a magnet on it in all my other trucks and cars. is there one available for the vx??
this would help on the next change sport, to see if there are more shavings in the oil\pan on the next oil change.........

psychos2
02/18/2007, 08:32 PM
You will find out more by cutting open the filter than looking at the oil from the pan. shawn

johnnyapollo
02/18/2007, 08:45 PM
Could be water in the oil (it sinks to the bottom) - notice any rust on your dipstick or around the filler?

-- John

etlsport
02/18/2007, 09:05 PM
Could be water in the oil (it sinks to the bottom) - notice any rust on your dipstick or around the filler?

-- John

OOOOO thats a very distinct possibility.. it started snowing after id drained my oil.. so i went inside and left the pan under the vx for like 30 min w/ the hood still popped... so im sure some snowflakes got into the drained oil... phew.. thats a releif.. im still gonna have it tested to be safe but ill sleep easier tonight.. ill also be cutting the oil filter in half.. kinda curious about the inner workings of it

Tobert
02/19/2007, 08:49 AM
If you're really worried, spend the $30 or so and send a little oil off to one of those oil analysis shops. They'll tell you for sure what it is.

edit: and then I notice where he says he's going to have it tested ...

thedutchguy
02/19/2007, 09:27 AM
If you're really worried, spend the $30 or so and send a little oil off to one of those oil analysis shops. They'll tell you for sure what it is.

edit: and then I notice where he says he's going to have it tested ...

You'l probably get them back with a note atached: Chemical waste! :)