PDA

View Full Version : Using Oil

Bimati
02/18/2007, 08:37 AM
Peeps,

I am mysteriously using a lot of oil (about a quart every 1000 miles!)

Tail pipe is clean, no smoke, no drips, so temp issues.....the oil just disappears!

Am I correct in thinking that this might be a PCV, EGR issue?

Thanks,
Bim

crager34
02/18/2007, 10:04 AM
Same deal here. The only thing I haven't changed/cleaned is the EGR, but the VX is running great/normal. Still, I wonder why the oil loss. :confused:

etlsport
02/18/2007, 10:17 AM
when i got my vx i was going through 1 qt every 1500-2000 miles.. ive since switched it over to quaker state full synthetic torque formula (10w30) and started changing my PCV out with each oil change.. just changed my oil about 2 hours ago and looks like i burned 1/2 qt in 3000 miles

biju
02/18/2007, 11:43 AM
clean your egr valves - and throttle body - replace pcv valve - see if that doesn't help *some*.

had my proton erg valve and throttle body cleaned out recently and the mechanic said it was quite the mess in there...

-biju.

blacksambo
02/19/2007, 08:01 AM
Also make sure your oil filler cap gasket is in good condition and on tight. A leak here may keep the PCV open longer than it should. That's where some of the oil goes.

Bimati
02/21/2007, 05:41 AM
Alright, kids.

New PCV
New EGR ($189.00!!!) :eek:
Fresh synthetic oil right on the full mark.

We'll see what happens to the oil and gas consunption.....

Bim

CrnCnn
02/21/2007, 06:04 AM
well after seeing these large numbers, I am nervous. I check my oil every time I fill up. And depending on how hard I drive it uses typically 1 QUART :( every two weeks. :confused:

I have changed my PCV Valve and that helped considering I was using almost one quart a week. I also changed to synthetic. I should look into my egr next it sounds.

The only time it smokes is if I stomp on it taking off.

nfpgasmask
02/21/2007, 09:27 AM
I'm in the same boat man. I want to employ the PCV breather fix and see if that works...

I went through a quart and a half back and forth from Monterey last weekend.

Bart

Peeps,

I am mysteriously using a lot of oil (about a quart every 1000 miles!)

Tail pipe is clean, no smoke, no drips, so temp issues.....the oil just disappears!

Am I correct in thinking that this might be a PCV, EGR issue?

Thanks,
Bim

nfpgasmask
02/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I have been religiously changing my PCV with every oil change at 3000 mile intervals. My oil still burns out like crazy.

So, does anyone have, or know of a good step by step for cleaning the EGR valve? I really would like to fix this, as it is somewhat scary and also somewhat expensive to be feeding so many quarts of synth on a regular basis. I would like to try this method and also the PCV breather solution. And what is the throttle body and how do I clean that?

Also, what is the preferred brand of PCV? I have used Deutsch and FRAM. Both with the same results.

And that gets me thinking. How tight should the tube clamp be on the top end of the PCV valve. Mine is pretty loose. Should I try a zip tie around that tube? Maybe I am blowing some oil out there???

:confused: Bart

nfpgasmask
02/21/2007, 09:40 AM
See this thread too:

Serious Engine Trouble (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10335)

iamjacksadrenalgland
02/21/2007, 05:10 PM
has anyone checked other forums with 3.5L troopers who might be experiencing the same oil consumption problems? there are so many more of those trucks on the road. there must be something we can learn from them whether they are having the problem or not.