PDA

View Full Version : HD tie rod end part #'s

Ascinder
02/16/2007, 11:33 AM
These look great ....but...there was someone (Andy aka. swordy) on this board already making them (nearly identical). the tie rod ends are 60s-70s International 3/4-1 ton. (if that helps) I have part #s availble....

I am looking at available HD tie rods and they are pretty pricey. I saw this post from about 2 years back when I was researching what was available. Do you or anyone still happen to know the part #'s for the rod ends? Is Swordy still making these, or is he still around?I have a milling machine and lathe an I am looking at fabbing some up. I would also like to know the diameter of these tie rods so I can order up some steel stock. Also, are the rods themselves stock length? Thanks for any help!

Triathlete
02/16/2007, 12:20 PM
Drop Swordy an email or an PM. I'm not sure how often he surfs the site these days but I know he checks in occasionally. You can also try THESE (http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1109486&PRID=1549279) from Matt at Indy 4X.

Ascinder
02/16/2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks. I just PM'd Swordy, and I had attempted to PM BigmeatVX who had posted having the part numbers, but his inbox was full. I would like to make these available to everyone else if they turn out well. Do you know if they need to be heat treated? I can get 1" 4140 chromoly roundstock for around $3.50 per foot. Or 1.5" for slightly more. If I went for the 1.5, it would probably be fluted to increase strength and decrease weight similar to a high end rifle barrel.

Swordy
02/16/2007, 11:47 PM
WoW,, thats a great price for that kind of steel. mind giving away your source?

Ascinder
02/17/2007, 07:15 AM
Remark out of Reno, NV is who quoted me the price. They sell them in 20 ft. lengths, but charge a $5.00 cut fee. So I think I may buy a 20ft. and have them just cut it in half since it would probably not like to travel in on the top of the VX at 20 ft. long. :eek:

Triathlete
02/17/2007, 07:18 AM
Swordy, glad to see you still popping in around here! You've ben in lurk mode for a while.