PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid VX?

tysamigo
02/15/2007, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know if there is a company or a kit available in which I could make my VX a hybrid?

I have been wanting to do my share and lower my environmental footprint for such a long time that I've held off from purchasing a new car/truck for a couple of years now hoping for a nice hybrid to come out. I like the Prius and Escape, but they are "plain" and boring.

I'm also wondering to know if VX was ever offered in a hybrid version w/out compromising performance would you consider purchasing it?

Has anyone ever considered this or has tried it?

Ty

johnnyapollo
02/16/2007, 07:32 AM
I hadn't heard of this being done but anything is possible, with enough money and skill. Cut out the 4WD and replace with the Escape setup from the axle forward. You'ld have to replace the front suspension with a non 4WD setup as well. I think the Ford/Mazda setup would fit better than the Toyota but you'd need to measure to find out.

-- John

etlsport
02/16/2007, 07:37 AM
probably an easier option that would help would be to go diesel.. then you could run veggie oil too.. from what i remember hybrid SUVs (or generally hybrid V6s) get like 35mpg.. which isnt a whole whole lot better than youd get w/ diesel.. kpaske and joeblack are the guys to talk to about that one

evorent
02/17/2007, 05:47 AM
poorly provocation :o

Triathlete
02/17/2007, 07:22 AM
probably an easier option that would help would be to go diesel.. then you could run veggie oil too.. from what i remember hybrid SUVs (or generally hybrid V6s) get like 35mpg.. which isnt a whole whole lot better than youd get w/ diesel.. kpaske and joeblack are the guys to talk to about that one

And everyone knows that black exhaust exiting the tail pipe of a diesel is not polluting our air! :rolly:

etlsport
02/17/2007, 11:50 AM
well yeah.. its more so that the VX could be run on biodiesel

Chopper
02/18/2007, 04:56 PM
A hybrid kit? You're kidding, right? I'm waiting for the do-it-yourself Flux Capacitor retrofit kit, so I can go back in time and covertly sterilize Geo. Bush Sr., before president clown pants and his brother, governor duh, were born. A hybrid kit, indeed...wow

Joe_Black
02/18/2007, 05:01 PM
Go turbine-electric. If it's flammable you can use it as fuel, so you can be as carbon-neutral as you care. Not to mention you could squirt raw fuel into the exhaust for MONSTER flames! That'll keep the tailgaters at bay. ;)

alanbradley
02/20/2007, 06:12 AM
And everyone knows that black exhaust exiting the tail pipe of a diesel is not polluting our air! :rolly:

**Token European dashes in to defend diesels**

soot is a result of overfuelling - often through restricted airflow. A sophisticated, modern diesel engine should not have these problems (btw I don't count a VW diesel in that grouping) as they will accurately measure the fuel/air mix.

You guys (ie North America) also had particularly poor, sulphurous fuel until recently. Even just the change in standards and formulation should make a difference to the levels of pollutants.

And you can run bio-diesel.

Diesels don't have to be dirty you know. My Yaris has NEVER emitted smoke, apart from off its tyres ;)

A