PDA

View Full Version : Next on the List...

Thejerseyfish
02/15/2007, 02:07 AM
Going down the list of things that need to be fixed on the ole gal, next is the check engine light. The only code being thrown is the one for the EGR valve. I've gone thru the process of removing it and cleaning the assembly as well as cleaning the pipes underneath to the best of my ability, but still no avail which leads me to beleive that this thing is probably bad.
So has anyone else on here replaced it, whats the best way to trouble shoot if it is in fact the whole part that's bad and not a clog and finnaly what did it cost. I know that its a relatively easy part to replace since it came off so easy, shouldn't take to long, just another part that I need to find a good price on.
Lastly, Just in case I didn't clean the pipes out right, I never saw a very good detailed description of how to clean it. They were always a little confusing, and most of the posts scared me to death since they mentioned the VX blowing up. Does anyone know if there is a thread that has the best explanation on this task or even pictures on it.

Thejerseyfish
02/15/2007, 02:41 AM
Figures that I post this and then find the answers to my question, one of which was from a thread that I made a while ago. Any way here's the answers that I found just in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.

The part seems to cost around $250. Looks as though lots of people have tried cleaning the vavle and still had the CEL light on, much as myself. I even found this to be a common problem on a amigo page.
As for the cleaning itself the best page that i found on this with pictures is here http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
There is also a page where someone describes in detail taking the EGR apart and repairing it, kinda interesting actually. Here is that one, http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/egr-repair.pdf

So as for my solution. I'm going to try cleaning it one more time and see if that does the trick. The one thing that I haven't done yet when cleaing it is to remove the throttle body, mainly because I have absolutely no idea how to do it or how much of a job that is. Anyone who knows this that can post it would be greatly appreciated.
If after cleaning the damn thing again inside and out, if it doesn't work then I'm going to replace it and hope that solves the problem once and for all.

Thanks all, Hopefully the problem list will slowly be getting shorter so I can get my lady back into tip top shape.

MSHardeman
02/15/2007, 07:57 AM
jerseyfish,

Another thing to try would be to reset the computer, and that may clear the code. I may be talking out of the side of my neck here, but if the computer threw a code and wasnt' reset, the light might stay on even though the problem is fixed. I think the way to reset the computer is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Who knows, might save you a lot of time trying to remove the throttle body.

Zorak
02/15/2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm

This link (wasn't able to get the one in jersey's post to work) mentions cleaning the EGR supply tube is also supposed to help reduce oil consumption. I had seen references to EGR as a factor in oil consumption on the VX before but what would be the connection between the two? :confused: Cleaning the supply tube just generally keeps engine internals cleaner?

Thejerseyfish
02/16/2007, 11:13 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself, but anything that helps cut down on ouil consumption with this engine is great considering since it eats it up. And obviously it doesn't hurt to clean it.
But speaking of cleaning it, Many people have mentioned removing the throttle body to clean it. How is this done??
I did read another method for cleaning the intake tube without removing the throttle body, that involves slipping a tube thru the manifold and connecting it to the pipe, then blasting it out from behind. I'm tempted to try that one and see how it works.
But if anyone does know how to remove the throttle body post it please.