PDA

View Full Version : Need Help....stuck at home.

JHarris1385
02/14/2007, 08:52 AM
I finally got some snow around here to play in, but I cant play in it just yet. Someone not I left my aux lights on all night and killed the battery. Yeah I know I just need to jump my red top optima.

BUT I CANT GET THE HOOD TO UNLATCH. I at first thought it was becuase of the snow and ice that fell, but I have poured numerous pans of hot water around the seams of the hood and splashed it towards the latch. AND NOTHING WORKS. WHen I pulled the release latch inside, it did the normal pop noise but did not move the actuall hood. As in the hood did not pop up that half inch like normal but I did hear the noise. I also tried to put my weight on it to shut it agian and start over but it will not shut.

I am at home trying to figure out a way to get to work.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

etlsport
02/14/2007, 09:26 AM
have someone lift up on the hood while you pull the release

nfpgasmask
02/14/2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, since I cleaned mine out, I pull the release and I don't hear anything pop, so I have to go and pull up on the hood to get it to release. If it is jammed shut though, I honestly have no idea how to get around that. :eek:

This is what I am worried about with mine, I want to get it working normal again...

Bart

Anita
02/14/2007, 10:10 AM
Heres an old thread with some ideas:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8577&highlight=open+hood

Techy-D
02/14/2007, 11:03 AM
Anita had a good thread there, but if none of those are the problem, maybe the sound deadening mat got wet and is frozen to the lights or intake? Put a trouble lamp in from underneath for a while???? Just an idea?

JHarris1385
02/14/2007, 11:15 AM
Got her open, with the one pull the latch another lift the hood trick.

Question is does this mean I need to tighten the tensioin at the inside latch?

Thanks for the help etl

Zorak
02/14/2007, 12:09 PM
As someone pointed out in another thread, the fix could be as easy as turning the two rubber bumpers on the radiator brace a couple turns counterclockwise to raise them up a little bit(the ones the hood rests on when closed). Try that first.

etlsport
02/14/2007, 12:28 PM
j, if you continue to have issues with it, next time you get it open, try taking the grille out (3 screws in the grille and 4 bolts on top) and then shutting the hood and have someone pull the latch while you watch and see what happens, maybe youll be able to see the problem

JHarris1385
02/15/2007, 07:24 AM
So I get it jumped it and drove it for a while last night with a few short stops. I park it overnight to find it once again dead in the morning. Like normal I left my radar and scan gauge plugged up both which turn off a little after ignition is off.

Whats going on. Its a red top, and less than a year old.
Any ideas?

MZ-N10
02/15/2007, 01:51 PM
just turn those little rubber things.... tat should get the hood to pop if u put enough tension on them.

creeg
02/15/2007, 02:05 PM
So I get it jumped it and drove it for a while last night with a few short stops. I park it overnight to find it once again dead in the morning. Like normal I left my radar and scan gauge plugged up both which turn off a little after ignition is off.

Whats going on. Its a red top, and less than a year old.
Any ideas?

This may sound like a stupid idea, but it saved me: make sure the connections are really tight on the battery posts. If they are loose, you might not get enough juice coming through the loose wires to turn it over.

good luck!

JHarris1385
02/15/2007, 02:36 PM
Ok got her going fine now. But I did notice when I open the hood that the mat on the hood is sagging alot and was iced over?