PDA

View Full Version : 18" American Racing Wheels

grober02
02/13/2007, 07:49 AM
Sorry for yet another wheel question. I am about to purchase a set of American Racing Chamber w/ Teflon (series 3985) 18x9.5 wheels with BFG A/T KO 285/65/18s. On American Racing’s site, they have 2 part numbers listed with the same offset and backspacing (3985-89538 + 3985-89583). The offset is -19 and the backside is 4.5. I have a call into AM to see what the difference is—I’m guessing it might be the center bore dimensions. The BFG’s will have an overall diameter of 32.7 and a width of 11.5. My question is with this offset and backspace, will the rims be recessed behind the fender or protrude out? I see that another VX member has the AM Victor wheels, so I’m sure these rims will fit, but I was unable to get any specs from her. My VX is not lifted and I’m aware that the cladding will need trimmed…THX for any help!

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 08:19 AM
Hey, I would be careful with what you are about to purchase.

1) AR has two different hub styles. Look at this site:

http://www.wheelsforless.com/search_result.asp?Product_ID=398589

You need to make SURE you do not get the ones made for "GM Trucks". The center bore is too small. I think you want the 9583s.

2) I really think you should think about that offset. I am running the 16" ARs with a 0 offset and the tires just stick out a little and they look perfect, imho. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but it is my understanding that if you get something with a -19 offset, your wheels are gonna stick WAY out. Now, if that is the look you are going for, then ok, but do think about it.

Bart

Sorry for yet another wheel question. I am about to purchase a set of American Racing Chamber w/ Teflon (series 3985) 18x9.5 wheels with BFG A/T KO 285/65/18s. On American Racing’s site, they have 2 part numbers listed with the same offset and backspacing (3985-89538 + 3985-89583). The offset is -19 and the backside is 4.5. I have a call into AM to see what the difference is—I’m guessing it might be the center bore dimensions. The BFG’s will have an overall diameter of 32.7 and a width of 11.5. My question is with this offset and backspace, will the rims be recessed behind the fender or protrude out? I see that another VX member has the AM Victor wheels, so I’m sure these rims will fit, but I was unable to get any specs from her. My VX is not lifted and I’m aware that the cladding will need trimmed…THX for any help!

grober02
02/13/2007, 08:46 AM
I am looking for a fitment where the tires are flush with the fender or stick out no more than 1 inch.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 09:35 AM
Well, then you need to go with the same ones I have. There is no other option from American Racing.

Mine are the 16s with a 0 offset.

Bart

I am looking for a fitment where the tires are flush with the fender or stick out no more than 1 inch.

grober02
02/13/2007, 10:06 AM
Well, actually, I think littlelaurie's got the 367-89583 AM Victor's which also have -19 offset and 4.5 backside. I wasn't able to confirm with her the part #, but it's got to be either 367-89583 or 367-89538 (for GM). If you look at her pics, the wheel/tire fitment looks great.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 10:27 AM
Well, keep in mind she also has *quite* a lift. And her tires seem to stick out a LOT more than mine do, at least from the photos in her gallery. Her nice lift keeps the offset from looking too awkward imo.

I guess my only advice would be to MAKE SURE you are getting what you want and that it will work. Those rims ain't cheap!!!

Good luck, and be sure to post pics when you are done!

Bart

Well, actually, I think littlelaurie's got the 367-89583 AM Victor's which also have -19 offset and 4.5 backside. I wasn't able to confirm with her the part #, but it's got to be either 367-89583 or 367-89538 (for GM). If you look at her pics, the wheel/tire fitment looks great.

ZEUS
02/13/2007, 12:12 PM
I have 18x8.5's with a 0 offset inside 285/60/18's (31.5"). I also have a 2" lift. I was planning to step up to the same tires you mentioned as well. To do that I will need to lift another 1" or do a lot more hacking - or possibly both. Keep in mind, the width of the those wheels. My 8.5's stick out already (even with the lift) and yours would stick out another 1/2" past mine if you go with the 0 offset. Not that you have seen my VX... but you might want consider a thinner rim. If -19mm offset moves the wheel inward you might be inline with my 8.5's or even better, but if it moves the the rim outward you don't want it, IMO.

I_Wanna_Retire
02/13/2007, 03:31 PM
This wheel thing is too complicated, PLUS I probably did this *** backwards, buying new 265/65/R18 tires just a little while ago and now deciding I need to replace the OEM wheels because the chrome is peeling so badly. The only thing that looks close is the Ion Type 185 or Avenue A520, but even these look iffy. Life is tough...

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, it is really confusing. It took me 6 months to decide that these rims will probably fit, and thankfully they did, and look every bit as sweet as I knew they would.

Bart

Chopper
02/13/2007, 03:59 PM
I feel ya retire... it really is a huge PIA having a "unique" wheel arrangement. Maybe consider sanding the oem's down and having them powder coated. Cheaper and better looking than most alternatives.

JHarris1385
02/13/2007, 04:30 PM
Retire those were not six lugs.

Grober go to a local wheel shop and do a test fitment with another wheel with simalr specs. I have 4.5 backspacing on mine with 265/75-16 tires. They do not stick out much at all. Almost flush. Honestly with that wide of a tire and no lift you will rub on the back front fender well. Nothing a little hammering and help. But if you really desire this look, it would not hurt to midly crank your torsion bars.

PM wormgod i forgot his set up but he has some fattys without a lift.

I_Wanna_Retire
02/13/2007, 05:36 PM
What are not 6 lugs? Isn't that what 6 x 139.7 means? Both Avenue A520 and the Ion wheel come in 18 x 9, with 6 x 139.7, about $144 each.

JHarris1385
02/13/2007, 07:32 PM
I did not see the listings for 6 lugs, my bad

ZEUS
02/13/2007, 11:01 PM
Retire those were not six lugs.

Grober go to a local wheel shop and do a test fitment with another wheel with simalr specs. I have 4.5 backspacing on mine with 265/75-16 tires. They do not stick out much at all. Almost flush. Honestly with that wide of a tire and no lift you will rub on the back front fender well. Nothing a little hammering and help. But if you really desire this look, it would not hurt to midly crank your torsion bars.

PM wormgod i forgot his set up but he has some fattys without a lift.

Wormgod was my inspiration for grabbing my wheels and I matched his setup numberwise exactly... that is until I got lift springs. Grober is talking about a 33" tire here so a mild cranking of the t-bars will just not work. The guy needs a lift to fit what he wants.

grober02
02/14/2007, 07:17 AM
I guess I'm confused at littlelaurie's setup since she has 285/65/18s and states that there is no lift. She used to have a 3" lift, but no longer...

nfpgasmask
02/14/2007, 08:20 AM
My guess is she must have switched back to a smaller tire/rim setup if she took out her life. Even with my setup the front tires just rub a tad on the front cladding. I probably could have gone up one size on my tires, but I like the way it looks and I barely trimmed at all. For me personally, I think 16" rims looks the best on the VX.

Bart

I guess I'm confused at littlelaurie's setup since she has 285/65/18s and states that there is no lift. She used to have a 3" lift, but no longer...

ZEUS
02/14/2007, 08:48 AM
I feel ya Grober... I can tell on LittleLaurie's VX that the t-bars are still cranked quite a bit. There is usually a rake to the VX's stance but hers rakes to the rear. Notice how much room there is between the rear tires and the wheel well and how much more there is at the front. There was either a lot of hacking going on and hopefully some bumpstop extensions or her tires are rubbing the plastic away. I hope she contacts you soon bcuz I would like to know what's going on myself. I'm just speculating... maybe she is getting away with it alright but I know I would not be able to.