PDA

View Full Version : A canoe on top of a VX ?

tysamigo
02/12/2007, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I have a 14ft Canoe that I use weekly during Spring/Summer. Would the rack on top of the VX hold it and would it be safe to use the rack for my canoe? I've never had a rack before and am not sure of what their limitations are. Thanks

Ty

JHarris1385
02/12/2007, 11:22 PM
Im sure it could, there is a picture somewhere in the galleries of a canoe that extends further than the total lenght of the VX, on its racks.

dkmiller68
02/13/2007, 04:59 AM
I am considering adding a front receiver to the VX so as to use 2 ladder racks (shaped like football goalposts) to haul a long ladder for my business.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 08:27 AM
I definitely think it could be done. I am not sure if Yakima or Thule makes any attachments that hold a canoe or not, but I am pretty sure there are kayak holders, so more than likely, there is some option out there. If you find it, let us know. A canoe is on my wish list for this summer.

Bart

PHO2GR4
02/13/2007, 08:31 AM
I've carried an 18' fiberglas kayak on my VX quite a few times. I got the Yakima horizontal wing mounts plus some 'Hully Rollers' (hull-shaped attachments) to add to my stock rack. I tie off the front with a rope attached to the tow hook.

driver3
02/13/2007, 09:55 AM
This is what I did.. I drove it probably 2-3 hours, windy roads.. this worked fine...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/18p6060037.jpg

Amnesia
02/13/2007, 09:57 AM
It wasn't a problem for us this summer. We drove from Southern IL. to Black River Falls, WI. without any problems. (Except for the hunk of rubber that bounced up off of the road from a semi, into the canoe and then back down through my sunroof on the way back home.) I used ratchet straps at the mid-section and tied off the nose to my pushbar that I got from Tone. No worries!

I'd post a picture, but I seem to be having trouble with that for some reason.

dkmiller68
02/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Here's a possible solution...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_19670_19670?cm_sp=Customer%20driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Search%20Page

tomdietrying
02/13/2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, no problem. I put my canoe up there all the time.
Peace.
Tom

Chopper
02/15/2007, 03:12 PM
I like how many VX owners have a canoe. A canoe!??? I've never in my life known anyone with a canoe...and I live in a pretty wet place. Bart, what are you gonna do with a friggin canoe in the desert? Think I need a snowmobile :rolleyes:

HotFlyer
02/15/2007, 04:33 PM
We often travel with two Kayaks (14' / 12') on the roof. We had to widen the roof bars with longer tubes (58") bolted to the stock ones and padded with foam pipe insulation. They work fine.

Question, how much pressure (weight) will the roof brackets take?
How do you tie down the Kayaks without marking the paint on the hood from the strap?
Will the roof rack hold the kayaks without a front & rear tiedown?

Any input is welcomed.

Thank you,
Howard (0761)

tomdietrying
02/15/2007, 05:28 PM
I don't use a front tie down for that very reason you said.

I use two lever down straps on the side and one rear strap.
It never has failed me doing that way.

Peace.
Tom

etlsport
02/15/2007, 05:50 PM
howard, anytime i put something on the roof i tie it down from the front tow hook to prevent it from flipping back... cheapo seat belt pad from walmart and put that over the rope where it would touch the hood
http://www.mmmiata.com/images/thumbs/MM122-ST_thumb.jpg

VCAMILO
02/16/2007, 05:11 AM
Hey I live in the desert and own a canoe. About an 18 footer plastic canoe. I have the cheap Yakima raingutter towers and they work fine with the canoe.

MrCrowley
02/19/2007, 06:36 PM
I have used my roof rack multiple times over the years. Before my Megawarrior, I would haul 2x4's- at least 12- up there. Countless pieces of wall trim. They are tricky. You DO have to secure everything to the racks, and due to the short span, I HIGHLY recommend down to your tow hooks front and rear for anything over- say six feet depending on what it is, or how flimsy.

It holds 125 lbs. Based on the VX "crushing" incident at a junk yard many moons ago several people commented on, LOL how did it ever happen, the structure of this rig is probably double what most cars on the road are. I would push the 125 lbs if I had to. Only for downforce though. Any upforce caused by wind or turbulence I wouldn't recommend because that would stress the mounting hardware only. Especially something that may have the ability to catch the wind up, or even sideways. Since I have gotten my Megawarrior, I know I have pushed the weight envolope, but nothing that would lift or go sideways.

A canoe shouldnt be anywhere near 125 lbs, just watch the wind and idiot drivers when you hit the brakes!!!

nfpgasmask
07/22/2007, 08:27 PM
So, this weekend we bought a canoe. I was on the fence about it since the canoe is wider than the rack, but this was easily fixed with a little wood.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/vxcanoe1.jpg

We were going to meet up with CrnCnn on Saturday, but in the end we had to much crap to do and our camping gear was in disarray.

But this morning we set out towards Frenchman's Lake (40 minutes NW of Reno) for a nice morning outing.

So yes, it can be done! This canoe is a 14.5' boat. I would not try it with a 17 footer, but it could probably be done.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/22/2007, 08:28 PM
Chop, I think you should get a snowmobile. :) Take a look at Reno on a map and you will see just how close we are to Tahoe, Yosemite, Lassen and all sort of other watering holes! Lots of canoeing can be done out here!!

Bart

I like how many VX owners have a canoe. A canoe!??? I've never in my life known anyone with a canoe...and I live in a pretty wet place. Bart, what are you gonna do with a friggin canoe in the desert? Think I need a snowmobile :rolleyes:

Chopper
07/23/2007, 06:57 AM
That new Bombardier(sp.?) toy, is pretty much a snowmobile with the track and skis traded for wheels...it looks like an absolute blast. I'd forgotten about all that man made water you guys have. Gotta keep those Vegas fountains gushing, Phoenix lawns green, and L.A. pools full. I've not been out west in quite some time, in fact, I haven't left Florida in 14 years.

nfpgasmask
07/23/2007, 07:19 AM
Actually, I think most of the water around Reno isn't man made. Of course there are some spots that are, but in general, there are tons of lakes out here, mostly on the California side. Reno is about 8 hours north of Vegas and I think there is a big movement in Northern Nevada to keep the water we have up here from being piped down to the voracious, all consuming Vegas. I know much of the Truckee Meadows must get its water from Lake Tahoe or the Truckee River, as these are really the only large water sources around, aside from Pyramid Lake, and I don't think we can milk Pyramid because it is part of an Indian Reservation, but then again, I am not really sure. Water certainly is an issue out here and I think it is mostly dependant on how much snow we get in the winter. Yes, we get snow in the winter up here in Reno!

Bart

That new Bombardier(sp.?) toy, is pretty much a snowmobile with the track and skis traded for wheels...it looks like an absolute blast. I'd forgotten about all that man made water you guys have. Gotta keep those Vegas fountains gushing, Phoenix lawns green, and L.A. pools full. I've not been out west in quite some time, in fact, I haven't left Florida in 14 years.

Chopper
07/23/2007, 12:03 PM
It's an issue everywhere. It rains afternoon here, for six months of the year. Occasionally 4 or 5 inches at a time, yet they are sucking out the aquifer faster than it can refill ...I can imagine the situation there. I drove all over out there for a few years(20 years ago) Parts of Nevada can throw down a snowstorm. Reno was much,much smaller then. Vegas too for that matter. I've been itching to spend a few weeks driving around Utah, Nevada, North Cali. and all. One of the few areas I sort of pine for. Loved driving out there.

tomdietrying
07/23/2007, 12:09 PM
Nice job Bart. Looks sharp!
Peace.
Tom

nfpgasmask
07/23/2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah Chop, I am all too familiar with the draining of the Everglades and what it will inevitably do to Florida. I lived in Tampa for 3 years and the Boca Raton/Coral Springs area for 4 years. I'll never forget the relentless, sweltering summers, and the single month out of the year that had tolerable weather. There's nothing like Disney World in the middle of August. :)

Bart

It's an issue everywhere. It rains afternoon here, for six months of the year. Occasionally 4 or 5 inches at a time, yet they are sucking out the aquifer faster than it can refill ...I can imagine the situation there. I drove all over out there for a few years(20 years ago) Parts of Nevada can throw down a snowstorm. Reno was much,much smaller then. Vegas too for that matter. I've been itching to spend a few weeks driving around Utah, Nevada, North Cali. and all. One of the few areas I sort of pine for. Loved driving out there.

nfpgasmask
07/23/2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks Tom! I think I need to paint the wood black ;)

Bart

Nice job Bart. Looks sharp!
Peace.
Tom

Chopper
07/23/2007, 01:55 PM
Drops below 70 and I'm turnin' on the heat.

nfpgasmask
07/23/2007, 02:24 PM
LOL, you're just like my Mom. She still lives in Boca. I bet right at this very moment she has the windows open. To me, temps between 40 and 65 are ideal ;)

Bart

Drops below 70 and I'm turnin' on the heat.