PDA

View Full Version : Lambo/Scissor Doors

tysamigo
02/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Has anyone any experience with Lambo/Scissor Doors? I've toyed with the idea of adding this mod to the VX. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ty

WILLY
02/13/2007, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't,a pain in the arse to get in and out. :p

etlsport
02/13/2007, 06:16 AM
if you like the look then go for it.. i dont personally like it very much for the VX.. if you do a search for 'lambo door' you will come up with quite a few results... heres a pic of what it could look like from silverbullet's gallery
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Lambo_VX_1.jpg

tysamigo
02/13/2007, 07:31 AM
OH WOW!!! YES I LOVE IT!! Man oh man, thank you for the pic. I did search but was not successful. I love the look and will investigate the price. Do you know how I can get ahold of the owner of this one? I would like to ask him/her how they did it, the cost, any problems with it (leaking, weak door or weak shocks etc)..

Thanks for the photo, I LOVE IT :)

Ty

etlsport
02/13/2007, 07:41 AM
ty.. its just an extraordinarily well made model.. to my knowledge nobody has actually tried to do it yet, every so often on ebay a "kit" shows up on ebay to convert the VX.. but it will be far from bolt on im sure... silverbullet75 built the model, you could try PMing him and see how difficult it was on the small scale

also heres a thread about it
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9408&highlight=lambo+door

if you look at the bottom of that thread, there will probably be links to other related threads about door conversions (this is true of any thread, related threads show up at the bottom of the page)

creeg
02/13/2007, 09:26 AM
Also keep in mind that the VX is already a tall vehicle: if you add those doors, you wont be able to get in and out of the car very easily in a garage, as they would need at least 15 feet (probably more) of clearance.

etlsport
02/13/2007, 09:53 AM
good point about the height issue.. although i think you could probably clear with 10 ft, the highest hinge point on the door would be the bottom of the windshield... which stands maybe 5 ft on a lifted VX... and from there to the top most corner of the door shouldnt be more than 5'.. 6' at most... id say at most you would need 11' of clearance.. 10 would probably even be fine though

creeg
02/13/2007, 10:11 AM
yeah, that sounds more accurate to me now that I think about it.

cyronman
02/13/2007, 10:29 AM
I was at the car wash last week and some girl had a PT cruiser with the lambo door kit there, and the wash attendant couldn't shut it right in 4 attempts, then it took the girl 3 times to show him how to shut it right. She was borrowing it from her brother so I'm sure once you're used to it it's not a big prob, but then again something like that could be just enough of a hassle where you wouldn't want to have to deal with getting used to it.

I honestly think it looks pretty cool, but it's too small of a benefit/expensive of a novelty for me to ever consider.

Tone
02/13/2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I'm guessing you haven't checked the price on this mod? And I think you'll need a VX first to do it. Please be the first and THEN report back you did it - lots of gonna on the web...

JHarris1385
02/13/2007, 04:42 PM
It will be about a grand, but well worth it. It will look great. Just make sure to take it to a place that knows that they are dealing with. Our door is not as light as a Civic's so it will need a lot of integral support.

I hope you follow through and do it. Might consider doing it after you.

MustangO4
02/15/2007, 10:28 AM
FWIW, I work with a guy that has a big ***** Nissan Armada and had his doors done at DUB up in LA. They open like normal, or pivot out then swing up and go really high. It looks cool sitting there, but is a PITA to get in and out of with the doors up. He got them as a free promo, but it was about a 2k job to have the guys that really know what they're doing do it. I have seen a few around where guys did the cheap kit themselves, and it looks and works like that.
Good luck though, and yes, if I won the lotto one of my VXs in the fleet would have them, and maybe 30" spinners, and TuPac airbrushed on the hood.....

tysamigo
02/15/2007, 10:51 PM
Well, back in the day I owned an 83 Delorean. I LOVED IT but the cost of maintenance and insurance was to much and I purchased a "normal" car. I must say that I really have missed the gullwing doors.

Someone said that gullwing doors may be a better idea...I'm not sure. I've only seen Lambo and Scissor Door "kits" available for the VX, not a gullwing.

I am completely serious about doing this mod but if I feel that it will compromise structural integrity or will cause many problems (leaks, weak hinges, etc) down the road then it would not be worth it and I'll not make the mod. I don't want to destroy my VX but if this will work out then I will certainly do it and probably this summer. I guess I just really miss the gullwing and was hoping that Lambo/Scissor would work out.

Ty