PDA

View Full Version : just throwing it out there

pbkid
02/12/2007, 11:57 AM
well pretty much the VX has failed me...its a blown motor...as most of you know...so before i go through the pain in the arse of rebuilding and all the business i figured i would throw it out there and see if anyone was interested in picking up a VX for parts? just trying to get what i can out of it...
if not i will most likely be rebuilding it then selling it for a 4runner or selling/saving for a mazda CX-7
thanks in advance. let me know

vxDAKINECHICvx
02/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Oh wow, that sucks! :mad:
Sorry to hear that that happened....though sounds like I'm a little late on knowing that. Do I just not pay attention? At any rate, what would you part it for....$$?

pbkid
02/12/2007, 12:08 PM
i really dont know what its work parted...im figuring probably like 2500 to put a used motor in it if i do the work myself. and then i could probably sell it for around 10k or so...but i would also have to fix some recent body damage too if i decided to sell it as a whole which would probably end up costing me 2k...
so basically im looking at almost 5k in repairs to sell it for 10k...so i was thinking of saving myself the headache if i could get enough for whats left of it...

etlsport
02/12/2007, 12:09 PM
jeesh.. thats rough.. id lose it if my vx died on me... **knocking on wood**

my opinion.. you should try to hang onto it, i know you had some big plans for your VX, that stuff might have to go on hold, but if i were you id at least let her sit while you save up the money for the new engine

that said id love to have a part VX! but alas.. no place to store it, but if you decide you want to part it yourself id gladly take a few parts off your hands\

good luck!

biju
02/12/2007, 01:07 PM
pb - totally sorry about this man. Just don't know what else to say... You sure you wanna sell it for parts? - and not rebuild? :( :( :(

If you do decide to part with her as salvage let me know. Just drop me a PM.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
02/12/2007, 02:59 PM
I'm in the exact same boat with my 2000 Xterra. Its sitting in my buddy's garage with a dead motor. So help me god if this happens to my VX.

Do you think the engine failure was due to a dry engine? Did you burn out all your oil? This really scares me...

Bart

ZEUS
02/12/2007, 03:04 PM
I'm in the exact same boat with my 2000 Xterra. Its sitting in my buddy's garage with a dead motor. So help me god if this happens to my VX.

Do you think the engine failure was due to a dry engine? Did you burn out all your oil? This really scares me...

Bart

He said in another thread, he checked while on a road trip around Christmas and the oil level was fine but by the end of the day it was really low and making the dreaded clickity clack noise... :mad: This kind of thing scares the crap outta me!

Cobrajet
02/12/2007, 03:22 PM
I remember the days when Hemi Cudas and Boss Mustangs were being parted out after blowing an engine. Do you think any of their owners regret that decision?

Chopper
02/12/2007, 03:47 PM
That high feature, GM 3.6 liter would make for a tasty swap. All kinds of great tranny possibility there too. You'd be way over your 5 grand estimate,and you'd need to be a tad creative... and I just don't hear any sort of "thrill of the hunt" in your voice. I haven't seen the body damage, but it sounded light. Don't know the overall condition either, but you may have the dismal reality of about a 3000-3500 dollar roller on your hands. Score yourself a really good beater...say a two door, no A/C, automatic,Tercel... or Sentra ( this way you will abhor driving the little ****box, and you won't lose focus Buy a nice car, and you'll never finish the project, and the VX will moulder under a tarp, in the side yard for years...a home for mice and bandicoots... a target for 11 year olds BB guns... till you pay to have it pulled away.)and save enough to get it back on the road. Parting it will be a long process, and again, you're only gonna get a few bucks for the seats and such, initally, then you have a stripped out shell on your hands. Fix it! Buy a "reman" take your time, pick your way through it, and do it yourself. Oh, and enjoy your 1988 Mercury Tracer in the meantime. Wayne

IndianaVX
02/12/2007, 08:26 PM
kid,
dont move too fast......i agree with chopper. take a look around you, anything you dont need and could sell? any extra work you could do? any lifestyle changes you could impliment for a couple of months so you could use that cash for a "save the vx fund"? myself, and another vxr on the board are doing the same, and cash stash is growing. im selling so much stuff, my daughter is nervous thinking shes next!!
ya just gotta do what ya gotta do to get what you wanna do!!!
Keep your chin up.....keep smilin
now quit reading post, and go deliver those pizza's!!!! :)
David

alanbradley
02/13/2007, 08:59 AM
What about replacing the engine with an Isuzu diesel motor? That way its possible you could run on WVO or a Bio-D blend and hopefully make the saving in fuel costs essentially pay for the engine swap?

I'm sure the folks at www.biodieselnow.com would be more than willing to help.

Now I come to think of it (says the Scot who drives a diesel Yaris) has anyone ever made the swap from petrol for diesel power in their VX? Judging by the prices being fetched by VW TDis in North America (I'm a member of a coupe of other US-based forums) a diesel VX would be worth 10s of thousands of $...

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Alan

pbkid
02/13/2007, 05:41 PM
thanks for the wishful words guys but just like chopper said, im way over my head in money to repair the thing...
i actually have a 92 integra GSR thats my second economy car that i drive for fun and long distances that i am now driving with studded winter tires on it....
and actually if it werent for the fact that i live in a snowy *** state i would probably be ok with working on it slowing and trying to rebuild, but i go snowboarding about 2-3 days a week and the front wheel drive lowered car just isnt cutting it...
im not positive on how im gonna get rid of her yet because i literally paid it off a week before i got in the accident and two weeks before she died...so right now im looking to lose about 11k on her =(....making her out to be a bad investment...
hence the now on sticking with toyota/honda....
if anyone has any ideas of how i can maximize what i get back from her, let me know it would be greatly appreciated...of course ill be parting out the valuable parts and replacing them with stock pieces....included are:
roof rack
yakima snow rack
285 tires with toyota rims
powervault muffler
POSSIBLY the sound system out of her
and a few other small misc. other stuff...

MSHardeman
02/14/2007, 08:12 AM
Jack,

I've been reading the post, and I'm so sorry to hear that your baby coughed up a lung. BIG time bummer. You where one of the first VX owners I met after I bought mine, and it would be a sad day to lose you from the fold.

If you ABSOLUTELY can't find a way to bring the VX back, I would say that you would probably make more money parting it out yourself, than to try and sell it as a whole to someone or a salvage yard. I know that's a big pain in the ***** for you (having to store it, and take the time to take the parts off, clean them, box them, and ship them), but it'll probably net you the most money. Being a complete cannibal I can think of a few parts that I would buy.

Keep us up to date on what you decide.

kpaske
02/14/2007, 08:49 AM
What about replacing the engine with an Isuzu diesel motor? That way its possible you could run on WVO or a Bio-D blend and hopefully make the saving in fuel costs essentially pay for the engine swap?

I'm sure the folks at www.biodieselnow.com would be more than willing to help.

Now I come to think of it (says the Scot who drives a diesel Yaris) has anyone ever made the swap from petrol for diesel power in their VX? Judging by the prices being fetched by VW TDis in North America (I'm a member of a coupe of other US-based forums) a diesel VX would be worth 10s of thousands of $...

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Alan
Hi Alan, and Welcome. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has swapped a diesel engine into a VX, but I'm hoping to become the first to try it.

Unfortunately most Americans seem to be unaware of the advantages of diesel motors. I admittedly knew very little about them until a few years ago when Joe Black told me I could make my own BioDiesel fuel for $.70 /gal.

Diesel motors are about 30% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts, require less maintenance, and last hundreds of thousands of miles. In theory, the fuel should be cheaper because it is less refined (although the big oil companies have been sticking it to diesel owners in some parts of the country lately, it's still generally cheaper than premium gasoline) AND you can run several different flavors of alternative fuels (which helps to reduce our dependence on foreign sources of energy).

I won't rant, as this is really off topic anyway, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I agree that anyone who is considering an engine swap should SERIOUSLY consider using a diesel instead of a gasser.

pbkid
02/14/2007, 12:37 PM
i know mark, it sucks, but i would definately stay in touch on here and keep helping out and showing up to vx events, no matter what im driving ;)
hey chopper and some of the other guys who know a lot about the vx and how hard it is to do the motor work...is it going to be more cost efficient to rebuild myself, get a used and do the work myself, or part it? thanks
and yea mark send me a list of what parts you would want so that i can start keeping tally...ive already had a few PM's about parts that people want...

thedutchguy
02/14/2007, 12:56 PM
You can pick up a2.2 or a 2.8 turbocharged Isuzu diesel engine for about €1000,- with 50.000 mls on it.
These engines are bulletproof thumpers!
However, it's illegal to swap a petrol engine for a diesel in the Netherlands.
You have to get your car aproved for the road by the government each year as soon as the car is 3 years old. :(

VXD959
02/14/2007, 01:07 PM
pbkid,

If you are going to part out, please let me know how much you want for the roof rack. I am very interested!

Thanks,

Chopper
02/14/2007, 03:55 PM
That really depends on the nature and extent of the failure. A reman is gonna be waaay faster and easier to do yourself, plus if you intend to stay with it, there is the warranty. Most remanufactured engines come with a pretty good one. That is also worth a few bucks for resale, as long as it can be transferred. Build it yourself and you get zero warranty, but more control of the parts used. As a tradein, it won't matter either way, and as long as it's running as it should, keep your yap shut. Don't you guys have dealers that scream, "PUSH IT,PULL IT, BLOW IT UP IN YOUR YARD,HAVE IT LAND IN OURS....7000DOLLARS FOR ANY TRADE!!!" I always wanted to roll in with one the complete wrecks in our yard, on the roll back, and start the games. Push the VX in, dressed as Berber nomads. Better still... pull it in with a donkey. Wear your best Jesus clothes. The possibilities for shenanagans are endless. Go reman. Good luck. Wayne

Chopper
02/14/2007, 04:09 PM
Forgot to say, if you do part it ... I may be interested in the roller ( the shell minus the mechanicals) as may Joe Black. We are thinking in vaguely similar directions.

pbkid
02/15/2007, 10:21 PM
ok well ill keep you guys updated. as of right now ive made a final decision that ill be selling the mods that i have for the VX to try to get some money in my bank...ill be selling:
roof rack with yakima snowboard rack
powervault exhaust
stock rims and tires
and a lot more but thats all for now....
thanks,
pbkid

PHO2GR4
02/15/2007, 10:27 PM
DIBSIES on the PV Exhaust!

How old is it?

Is it the PV1 or the PV2?

How does it sound, after breaking in over time?

Is "Dibsies" even a word?

biju
02/16/2007, 06:01 AM
OMG! a roof rack! PEOPLE... RUN TO THE BANK!!!!!

-biju.