PDA

View Full Version : Wet carpet syndrome

paultvx
05/08/2003, 12:33 AM
Wondering if any particular year VXs are more prone to the wet carpet syndrome. If you've had this problem, please select the year of your VX. Thanks!

Dallas4u
05/08/2003, 11:36 AM
Paul, don't tell me you are having this problem?

paultvx
05/09/2003, 01:01 AM
No... not yet anyway. I am just curious to see if there is a pattern.

Simon Templar
05/23/2003, 03:41 PM
I voted. But, in my case the problem was not the fault of my VX. It was caused by the dealers' prep-monkeys pulling the wiring boot away from the pillar on the day they delivered it.

So...my vote probably won't help to show a trend. If you want, I am a 2000....delete me.

....sT

RoninX
05/23/2003, 11:12 PM
I have this problem. I've had it fix twice now. 2000 Vehicross. My issue was a broken weld. And from those that I have emailed picture of the break to, they have had the problem in the same spot. Hope this helps.

WyrreJ
10/21/2003, 07:57 PM
Please post the pic to the gallery for reference by future sufferers.

skullcap
10/21/2003, 08:16 PM
Of course after 4 tries by the dealership, and eliminating everything from a leak of the windshield seal, to a firewall issue, I was beginning to notice water actually spilling from under the dash over my left foot. Then I noticed it was only happening after my VX was parked in the rain on a slope (<8%) , nose down, in my driveway. It never once leaked in facing up-hill.

One final cascade of water in May, followed by an audible turn-signal "click" that was stuck in the "on" position, and the dealer was finally able to pin down the source of the leak to a poor weatherstrip seal along the door-edge of the "A" post!

They finessed a fix with a bead of silicone sealant and the problem hasn't (knock on carbon-fiber) returned.;Db;

loco6464
10/22/2003, 08:14 AM
skullcap========= Any chance you can take a pic of where they fixed your leak so I can compare????=========

Its funny you say that because I have a problem with my VX and it only happens when it rains. I notice it when I first get in after rain if i touch the passenger side floor mat it will be damp and if i rub my hand under the dash right under the glove box i will feel water start to drip and last of all when I take off for the first turn or so i will here some water sloshing around in the dash then after that its gone. I took it to my dealer and after waiting for weeks for the parts they replaced all the weather stripping on the passenger side. I have yet seen rain so I don't know if its fixed ( I hope it is ) but what I thought was funny was that just last time it rained before they replaced my weather stripping I was having trouble where my turn signal flasher was sticking where it would stay on for a while and then it would go back to normal. I told the dealership they were wrong but your post gives me hope. I have heard everyone say that the main cause was a weld on the fire wall where the A pillar meets it
, and I have also been told by spazz and other members to look for the leak by turning on the air to high and shutting all doors and then getting a spray bottle with about a tablespoon or so of dish soap then you walk around the vehicle spraying all cracks and rubber to find the leak.

Just my 2 cents. I hope your situation applies to me.
Good poll by the way, I thought of doing this quite a few time to see if there was a similarity.

No matter what i love my VX and I'm glad I have it. Its one of those rare finds that you cant get tired of because you don't see them all over the place. I consider myself lucky to have one.

Thanks Guys
;Db;

loco6464
10/27/2003, 08:31 AM
Well It rained last night and guess what...... My VX still leaks. I just called and I have to drop it off at the dealer again foe who knows how long ( wouldn't care if I knew I would get it back fixed). Any way this is the last try for the dealer, I understand it takes a while to track this kinda thing down but I don't feel like they are doing a good job at looking so I guess it will be up to me if I ever get it back. The water leak is the only bad thing about my VX I hate that it comes in from behind the dash and runs down all that electrical stuff, I'm sure with that in mind that I will have electrical trouble in the long run if its not fixed. I don't want it to sound like its a huge amount of water its only like 3-9 ounces that I can tell but it shouldn't be any at all. I just want it fixed even if I end up paying to get it done I just want it done and over not trial and error like the dealership.

Just my little vent guys I'm sure there are a few more of you out there that feel the same way.

:wtfg2:

skullcap
10/27/2003, 10:26 AM
I'll try to snap some pics when I can.

My dealer had used soapy water on the outside and blew compressed air under the dash to look for bubbles on the outside.

Make sure you've looked over all previous posts about the problem and learn what you can about the various problems/solutions.

Then print-out all of the posts and pics and hand then to your dealer.

Isuzu is aware of the problem, even if they "play dumb" to it sometimes. You should be covered under warranty, including replacement of the carpet padding if you can't remove the mildew odor.

loco6464
10/27/2003, 05:02 PM
I did print a bunch of info from the site for the dealership and they overlooked it all. I will try to do the same and see what happens. I look forward to your pic.

thanks

loco6464
12/08/2003, 12:38 PM
My leak turned out to be in a few areas. I had 2 on the fire wall under the wiper assy, and one bad one under the edge of the windshield so when you pull forward and there is water in the fresh air tray it pushes up against the windshield edge and runs in the floor. They fixed it 98% before it was about 3-4 ounces of water that shot into the floor and now I may not see any ( I have seen 1 small drop ) I am waiting till we get a good rain. For some reason it will not do anything when I take it to a car wash its only when it rains for a while and I don't drive it for a day or so while its raining.

I will beat this thing 100% even if I end up doing it my self.

nyc #1 ironman
07/28/2004, 09:50 PM
yeahhhhhh, just another common problem I've learned to live with regarding the VX. Each time it rains I (like clockwork) put a towel on the floor and just wait to see how soaked it gets, but hey it has come to the point where I'd rather due this then listen to the dealer swindle me out of money and fix something that they claim is wrong, so i just have my reliable ole towel handy each time,,, shame though !

Francesco Rizzo
11/25/2004, 09:49 PM
just to let everyone know with this probllem.. consider electrical porbolems a STRONG possibility.. My carpets were also getting wet on the driver's side before I finally got tired and glued the top gasket for the windshield. Although cheap, this is not good for the gasket but solved the my specific problem.. Anyway, the segments of the door wires in my truck became oxidised and rusted away, leaving my driver's side window dead.. It was an easy repare of by passing this connecting clip and saudering the wires together.. If your locks start acting funny, or window dies, check under the driver's side kick pannel.

LITTLELAURIE
11/26/2004, 12:29 PM
I have a leak on the drivers' side floor board!! I'm taking my VX back to Isuzu on Monday! The Isuzu guys' are being asses about the problem!! They have been trying to blame the wires, (from my offroad lights on my cargo rack), that run inside the weather stripping on the driver and passenger side windows! It's funny though, the wet spot was there BEFORE the lights on top were installed!

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
11/26/2004, 01:10 PM
I was able to solve the wet carpet problem last summer and posted instructions on how to fix it. Do a search for: Got a Wet Matt ?? You'll find my instructions near the bottom of the page. Hope it helps you guys.

newthings
11/26/2004, 09:52 PM
Hi Laurie
I discovered my mat was wet yesterday.
What dealer are you taking it to? Welcome to Oregon, I guess.
Roy

thedutchguy
12/16/2004, 11:08 AM
It was wet (soaked) on thedrivers side.
Removal of seat and carpets.I took the garden hose and put it on my windscreen, during which I crawled in the car.
I found out it was the top left hand side grommet , which feeds electric wiring through the scuttle.
After applying a sealant, the mats remained dry until this very day!

newthings
12/16/2004, 07:43 PM
Is the SCUTTLE the same as the firewall?
Thanks, Roy

LITTLELAURIE
12/17/2004, 01:28 AM
Thank-you, for the info. Dutchguy!! I will pass that on to the service guys at the dealership! Hi Roy! I've been going to Braley & Graham! 'Steve Surrey', is the guy that I've been 'dealing' with there! Is 'Mike' the short, happy guy, with a mustache? He's been handing out those VX. info cards, that you gave him!! I'm going to ask for him, when I make my appointment, to get the,"WCS", addressed!!

Moonrover
09/17/2010, 09:31 AM
i had this problem from what i found was the culprit was the rubber boot that goes through the firewall on the drivers side. when i ran my amp power through it i forgot to snap it all the way back into place leaving a little gap just enough for a small trickle to come in. popping it back into place seemed to fix it and so far its been nice and dry inside.

blacksambo
09/21/2010, 08:45 PM
Seems to be a 99 ironman and 2000 and 2001 problem? Any other variations involved? My '99 Black and Astral (knock on wood) are water tight. Make that two '99 ebonys I've owned have been dry. And we live in upstate New York.

vt_maverick
09/22/2010, 06:20 AM
Unless the stickers are causing the leaks I don't think it's possible that this is an Ironman-specific issue. ;)

blacksambo
09/22/2010, 07:55 PM
Don't say that. Perhaps the Ironman editions were built by a different crew that consistently made some error???

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 07:24 AM
Maybe... but that's hard to imagine.

"Okay guys, today we're going to divide you into two teams. Joe and Lenny, you guys are really good at putting stickers in the right place, so you're going to manufacture only Ironmans from the ground up. The rest of you go back to making all 5 other colors!"

circmand
01/28/2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe... but that's hard to imagine.

"Okay guys, today we're going to divide you into two teams. Joe and Lenny, you guys are really good at putting stickers in the right place, so you're going to manufacture only Ironmans from the ground up. The rest of you go back to making all 5 other colors!"

Moe Larry and Curly

rsteinmetz70112
02/21/2011, 02:21 PM
Is this something common/serious enough to be added the the questionnaire?

circmand
02/21/2011, 03:33 PM
Is this something common/serious enough to be added the the questionnaire?

a poll first to confirm this has happened to enough VXes and with a common solution before the questionaire stage

vt_maverick
03/03/2011, 07:51 AM
I don't know that it's related to a design defect or anything - seems more likely that its caused by leaking seals due to age or poor glass replacement.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Moonrover
03/07/2011, 10:54 PM
anybody have this problem in the rear by the back door? i noticed this the other day when i opened the right compartment the little fuzzy foam was wet, and the carpet was a little moist.

VXdoc
03/07/2011, 11:42 PM
Not Likely Is It A Common Problem With The Vx's. In My Professional Opinion Seeing As I've Been Doing This For 9years Now It Has To Be Related To Something That Happened To The Vx During It's Life. Depending On The Location Of The Wet Development It Could Be Many Things. Bad Windshield Install, Aftermarket Stereo Install (gromet Disturbance And Lack Of Proper R&r), Sunroof Leak (if You Have One), Bad Or Worn Door Seals/rubbers Or It Could Have Been Some Nut 4x4ing Over Some Rough Terrain That Punctured The Vx Body.

Anthony

etlsport
03/17/2011, 05:27 AM
anybody have this problem in the rear by the back door? i noticed this the other day when i opened the right compartment the little fuzzy foam was wet, and the carpet was a little moist.

probably the rear door out of alignment, the latch back there can move pretty easily. only other thing that could really leak back there is the window, or the mounting bolts for the roof rail

vt_maverick
03/17/2011, 06:26 AM
Seems most likely that it would be a bad seal in the rear quarter glass if he's seeing moisture inside the tools compartment directly under that window.

etlsport
05/23/2011, 05:23 AM
i actually just noticed some moisture back in that area of my vx.. it was coming from the spoiler mounting bolts. turns out the only protection from moisture there is a foam pad on the bottom of the spoiler, so i removed it and re-installed it with a small bit of silicon on each bolt and that cured it

skcorssorcihev
06/16/2011, 07:54 PM
Mine leaks too! I just put it in the garage now....... :(

VXobsession
06/17/2011, 09:54 PM
I'm not having any leaks like this at all...except for the top of the windshield right above the rearview mirror. A tiny leak. It only leaks when there's high pressure, like the car wash. Rain doesn't leak unless its a very strong rain. I've got a '99.

Moonrover
09/27/2011, 06:44 AM
I found it.... The leak well the second one. This time the vx is leaking on the bottom of the driver side windshield. The only way i found this is from a wet tree air freshener wedged between the glass and plastic. Is there a easy way to remove the plastic that is conected to the VIN number plate without removing the entire top of the dash? Or does someone have a better sugestion? This way i can seal the entire bottom of the windshield with silicone.

JAMAS
09/27/2011, 01:24 PM
I found it.... The leak well the second one. This time the vx is leaking on the bottom of the driver side windshield. The only way i found this is from a wet tree air freshener wedged between the glass and plastic. Is there a easy way to remove the plastic that is conected to the VIN number plate without removing the entire top of the dash? Or does someone have a better sugestion? This way i can seal the entire bottom of the windshield with silicone.

This had happened to my Wife's Galant. Found the leak after the stereo amp to her car went ka-put (From water damage). We had the whole windshield removed and resealed by an auto glass place. If I remember correctly, it was roughly $100.

Moonrover
09/27/2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the tip. After doing some exploring today after work, im not sure that the windshield gasket is the culprit. There is water behind the windshield between the glass and the piece of plastic that hold the VIN plate in the groove. Is there an easy way to take off the top of the dash without making it a 12 hr ordeal, breaking down the entire dash. I figure once i get back there i can get a better feel for the situation, as of now im back to square one. If anybody has any suggestions let me know. Thanks

LittleBeast
09/28/2011, 12:16 PM
my leak was the door jam gasket at the top towards windshield

Kerry Rard
09/29/2011, 07:08 AM
Just received my 99 vehi cross on first of Sept. 2011....just went to check and sure enough my passenger mat is soaking wet as is the carpet....very disturbing, I bought this car with 28,000 miles it is in really nice shape....I am retired and this was to be my last car....I had a new 99 VX ten years ago and really like it....any suggestions would be appreciated on where to start looking for a leak...thank you in advance....

Kerry

Moonrover
10/10/2011, 06:18 AM
Well after spending all day yesterday trying to find the leak to no avail, the vx decided that I shall suffer some more. I was wondering if anybody has a picture of the so called cracked weld or the location that I have seen mentioned in a few posts.

Moonrover
10/13/2011, 09:05 AM
This is where i have found standing water but don't know how its getting there. Its in the little notch where the arrows pointing. Any suggestions?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0276.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21614)

etlsport
10/13/2011, 04:43 PM
I had rust along the top of my windshield that was causing water to seep in and run down the inside of the windshield. thats the first place id look

Lizardmen3477
06/06/2012, 06:12 AM
My Passenger side is also wet on floor. it may be a heatercore issue as it hasnt rained in a while

jarvis
07/11/2014, 08:58 AM
Lookin around on peoples mods I saw a guy putting Dynamat in his entire VX stripped everything out and noticed the shaft Alley had a seem that had cracked loose used automotive adhesive fix it before he put the Dynamat in and put everything back in, it was on the passenger side on his not sure if that will help