PDA

View Full Version : Q's about VX model differences

tysamigo
02/11/2007, 06:37 PM
This is a great group with rapid responses, very active and I LOVE IT!!

Before I purchase my VX I had some questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

I basically have a choice in buying exactly what I want down to the color (proton) but I will have to pay a lot to have it shipped across country and the mileage is about 79K.

My other choice the vehicle is just a few hundred miles away and is described as great condition with an extended warranty (which I still have to verify). It is less money, closer to me but is NOT the color I want, it is black.

My questions are:

1. When the VX's were available, what "packages" or options could someone add to it from a base model?

When I look at VXs online for the most part they have the same things, but I also know that some car manf. will have a package in which better engine components are used. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know the "lingo" but for example one model is 3liter while another is 3.5. One has a special brake system while the other does not, etc.

When I shop for a VX, what should I ask the owner as far as what "package" is installed on the vehicle?

2. If I bought the vehicle that is NOT the color I want, would you recommend painting it (from my authorized Isuzu dealer)? Would it then be identical to a Proton? Or did the Proton come with special features versus other models?

Basically I want the Proton but if I can find a lower mileage VX and paint it to the Proton, would it then be identical or would there be a difference in "packages" or "features"?

Thanks so much for your help,

It means MORE than you know...

Tyler
Louisville, KY

Triathlete
02/11/2007, 06:46 PM
Differences...
99's have 16 inch wheels
00-01's have 18 inch wheels and a bit better climate control
only package available was the "ironman" edition that came with a few ironman decals on the exterior, ironman engrained in the front seats, and came only in Victory White...other than that identical to all other VX's
The only available options were the roof rack (near impossible to get now) and a rear cargo area mat.
The only problem with repainting the Ebony to Proton is the interior. Protons have black and grey interior. The Ebony has black and red interior.

vxDAKINECHICvx
02/11/2007, 06:49 PM
I guess I never realized that color was a major factor.......but I guess everyone likes what they like. I love all VX colors.

Still want to paint that cladding black though.... :eek:

tysamigo
02/11/2007, 07:50 PM
OK now I think I understand.

So basically the "motor" of the VX is the same for ALL models? The only difference would be a few cosmetic stickers for the Ironman package, towing, and ski rack/storage rack? I have seen some models with 6 disc changers. I don't use CDs and I carry all music on a 80gb MP3 player so it doesn't matter to me.

I just wanted to ensure as far as the engine/motor is concerned that there are no differences that I need to look out for.

Is all of this correct?

If so then maybe it would be in my best interest to find the lowest mileage vehicle that is most affordable and then paint it to the color I want which is Proton. I LOVE the red/black interior so if the Ebony already has it (and this is one of the VXs I'm looking at) then I wouldn't have to go out there and purchase new red/black seats (which was my original intention). I could simply buy the VX, paint it yellow and have a nice day :)

Tyler

ZEUS
02/11/2007, 08:29 PM
There is a guy that goes by the user name "Chopper" who owns an auto body shop who can answer any painting questions for you better than anyone else - he is very forthcoming with information. You could send him a PM and I am sure he would respond very soon. Sorry to volunteer you Chopper!

Something some folks have done is remove the red parts of their seats and have an interior shop sew in yellow to match their Proton's skin - looks real trick! So if you are going to take the painting route you could take it a step further by doing that. A search in the gallery may show you the pics of the yellow trimmed interior... Happy hunting!!!

ZEUS
02/11/2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1084

Hopefully this link will work. This is the only pic I found.

tysamigo
02/11/2007, 10:44 PM
Wow,

That yellow interior is EXACTLY what I have been missing. I kept thinking, man there is something missing from making it really stand out and be more "concept" if you will... and this is it!!!

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I want to do. I guess I can start calling around locally to find out who be the best. Maybe there is a website out there that has reputable people/businesses who do this kind of thing and professionaly. I've never modded a vehicle much before. I've always drove it stock, but with the VX, man oh man, it's hard not to want to mod it and just take it to the next level. The sheere design of the VX just makes your imagination run wild...

Thanks for your suggestion and link to the photo, this is what I'm out to do that is once I get a VX. I can get the one I want and close by to me with about 48k miles on it but I would have to paint it. I'm thinking even this route would be worth it.

Has anyone else seen someone turning a "non-Proton" VX into a Proton VX by repainting?

I know one thing is for sure, as crazy as it sounds, adopting a VX is making me feel alive again from such a "normal/routine" life... :)

They should use them as therapy :)

Tyler

johnnyapollo
02/12/2007, 06:20 AM
I thought about swapping out the interior of my Proton to red/black, but the hue of red doesn't really look that great with the Proton color (guess that's why they used black/gray). It's a little too dark - Kathy and Shawn's VX in the pic (previous post) looked great with the yellow/black interior. It had yellow carpets, mats and headliner along with the yellow/black seats. The only thing I didn't like was that the seats were recovered in some synthetic instead of real leather - would have been better in real leather in my opinion.

I've seen an Ironman that was repainted to yellow and it looked good - the only thing that was ackward was the engine compartment (still white) - if you're base is an ebony I don't think it'll be as noticable. Once you get that ebony you may surprise yourself into getting to like the color - I've ridden in several and really like them - probably my second favorite after the proton's color.

-- John

nfpgasmask
02/12/2007, 08:43 AM
That is a no-brainer. Go with the black VX.

:) Bart

Raque Thomas
02/12/2007, 08:43 AM
Tyler,

I coould meet you today or tomorrow around 5:45 off the Snyder at Preston if you want to see/drive a VX. To repaint the VX correctly is going to be a pretty expensive proposition. If you decide to change the interior to yellow - my cousin owns Scott's auto upholstry in Louisville - they do a LOT of custom work.

JHarris1385
02/12/2007, 09:45 AM
Ty,

Awesome, another Louisville metro VX in the area. If you ever need anything, Iv got an IronMan, and reside in southern IN, just across the bridge. I work directly at the end of 2nd st. bridge.

JRH

Ascinder
02/12/2007, 11:25 AM
I'm no expert on paint, and I had initially considered a repaint, but came across a comment that the VX had been coated with a zinc basecoat similar to that found on HVAC ducting. Wouldn't that stuff be hard/dangerous to take off?

JAFO
02/12/2007, 11:27 AM
The only problem with repainting the Ebony to Proton is the interior. Protons have black and grey interior. The Ebony has black and red interior.

Actually not all Ebony have black and red. Mine has black and grey.

VehiCROSS Production Numbers
------------------------------
Ebony Black Red/Black 564 in 1999, 51 in 2000, 87 in 2001, 702 total.
Ebony Black Gray/Black 138 in 2000, and 226 in 2001, 364 total.
http://www.wildtoys.com/Vehicross/history.asp

Ebony with grey/back is more rare.

nocturnalVX
02/12/2007, 11:29 AM
That is a no-brainer. Go with the black VX.
:) Bart :_beer:

Though there is a widespread condition in the VX community known as "Proton Envy", it is also well known that the black ones are the coolest... and the fastest! Right Anita?
My 2nd choice (if I could not get an Ebony) would have been a Foxfire, but good luck getting exactly what you want. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to own a VehiCROSS!

tysamigo
02/12/2007, 01:29 PM
Raque,

Thanks. Wow I really am impressed with how "the family" is close here and how nice everyone is. I'm really really excited now about becoming a VX owner :)

I would love to change to the yellow/black interior using real leather. I will get with you about your cousin, thanks.

Raque and JHarris,
That's cool that all 3 of us are close. Have you all met before? Are there ever any kind of meets for VXs here in Louisville and surrounding areas or maybe there is a big one that everyone attends somewhere else. That would be exciting.

I also have a very weird idea. It may not work due to the high ground clearance and not seeing a VX in real life yet I don't know but...

I thought about modding it with Lambo or Scissor Doors. Has anyone seen or heard of someone doing this to either a VX or any other car? Is it dependable, etc.? Just brainstorming..

Thanks
Ty

ZEUS
02/12/2007, 02:07 PM
Ty, it's nice to see someone come along with such an enthusiastic interest in getting a VX and asking so many good questions. It is a great benefit having this forum available to us. When you do pick up a VX be sure to donate to the site as soon as you can. ;)

Now... if you are talking scissor doors then I am going to assume you won't be using the 4-Low anywhere... BUT the big trip to attend is the ZuZoo in Moab, Utah in May (dates are not finalized). There is a VX trail ride sometime during the event. It is a blast to put your VX through it's paces on the street, but a whole new feeling to flex it's muscles on the rocks! It is a very fun event and I recommend it if you can handle hitting the trail in such a rare vehicle.

Otherwise, there are some scissor door threads here; do a search and you should find one or two.

Cobrajet
02/12/2007, 02:57 PM
Though there is a widespread condition in the VX community known as "Proton Envy", it is also well known that the black ones are the coolest... and the fastest!I was lucky enough to get one of the last new Proton's available. I actually went to look at a '99 Ironman, but mentioned to the salesman that I REALLY wanted a Proton. They had one sitting on the showroom floor, and the first time I saw it I knew it had to be mine...regardless of price.

If you want a Proton...get a Proton. A repaint and color change usually decreases the resale value of a vehicle. The small price difference you pay now will recoup itself in the near future. Besides, you would be depriving a future Ebony owner. ;)

Chopper
02/12/2007, 04:03 PM
I'd buy the Black one but, yellow is choice two. Forget the respray, buy the one in the best overall condition, all the color choices are fine, you can hardly see the color from behind the wheel.

VehiGAZ
02/13/2007, 06:37 AM
Ditto, ditto, ditto! Chopper is in auto body repair - listen to him, please! Buy the color you want - don't try to repaint. It will cost thousands to do it right, or look like junk if you do it on the cheap.

Despite their presumed rarity, VXs are widely available on the used car market, and you will find a Proton in a couple months tops if you have the patience to wait for what you really want. As tough as it may be to shop without results (I've been looking for the right Porsche 928 for over a year), just remember that you will be owning and driving the product of your search much, much longer than you will have spent shopping for it. Better to be annoyed now than annoyed at your decision for the next 5 years.

Yeah, beyond that, all new VX's were pretty much the same except for the differences Triathelete listed above, although there a lot of modifications people do to them, so you might see some additional differences between cars for sale now.

Good luck!!

johnnyapollo
02/13/2007, 07:26 AM
I've been thinking that someday I'll need to repaint my Proton - from all the paint chips, small dents, etc - there's a technique of adding crushed glass to the paint that gives it this almost metal super-brilliant look. Probably outrageously expensive and a few years down the road.

The underlying sheet metal is zinc coated, stamped steel. The zinc coating was something Isuzu touted as a rust inhibitor - I haven't heard about any differences in doing paint or body work to it - it's not the same as galvanized (which does release some nasty gasses when welded).

-- John

thedutchguy
02/13/2007, 07:36 AM
BUY A 2001 MODEL !
(it's the most developed)