PDA

View Full Version : New VX Owner

tysamigo
02/11/2007, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I have not purchased a VX yet, I'm currently searching for a good condition and affordable model in Proton. I just wanted to ask everyone here a question please.

I currently have an Isuzu Amigo and love it. I have always wanted a VX but could not afford them at the new price. Just recently I've discovered I can now afford a used one and this is THE best looking SUV (besides the VX02 and VX04) that I've ever seen and I want one....bad.

I found one Proton in NV with 79k. Can anyone please and honestly tell me that if I buy one that I will have good and dependable service out of it? Is this high mileage? Do they break down often, do they need "special pampering" due to "bugs", flaws or bad engineering design?

I hope not but want an honest opinion from real VX owners and want to know your thoughts. Would you recommend it to someone who not only wants to be "unique" but to have a dependable means of transportation with it. I appreciate all input and look forward to the replies.

If anyone knows of a Proton w/low mileage please let me know. I have already searched on this group the vehicles for sale and have contacted the owners but if you know of any other please let me know and I will continue to search on my own.

I hope to join your family very soon :)

Tyler
Louisville, Kentucky

vxDAKINECHICvx
02/11/2007, 05:01 PM
I use mine as a daily driver, driving around 60 miles to and from work Mon thru Fri and up to the mountains every weekend. The mileage shouldn't be too huge a factor as there are MANY people here that have over 100K and the VX is still running strong. Take note that you can still find these cars with less than 50k on them. There are flaws for some of us though, such as.....the windows can come off the rollers, but it's not too big a deal to fix. I've heard the 6 disc cd changer doesn't last long, but mine is still playin' strong. My VX has 65K miles on it and I keep the maintenance up on him and love the car! As far as a proton VX - many people are out for these, so they seem to sell pretty quick when on the market, so if you find one in pretty good condition, I wouldn't wait. In my opinion a 'great' price to pay for one is anywhere between 10k and 12k for one that has been especially taken care of, but I believe some will disagree with me. I guess bottom line is it depends on how well the VX has been treated when it comes to price but it's extremely worth every bit of driving time you spend in it for sure. You obviously have an isuzu, so you should know it is pretty dependable.....

Oh, keep in mind that since its close to 7 years old sometimes parts can be harder to find, but I think for the most part, we don't have too big a problem with it...and if you did...most of us are always willing to help.

Welcome to our obsession.... :eek: :eek: :p :p

Raque Thomas
02/11/2007, 05:19 PM
Tyler,

I'm in Louisville if you want to see how one drives. I currently have the window issue - waiting until warmer weather to repair. I have had zero repair issues (other than the windows) and have 75k miles on the odo. There are a few irritating problems with the VX, but it's pretty "bullet proof" mechanically. Take the leap - proton is the second best color ;)

Triathlete
02/11/2007, 06:23 PM
The answer to all your questions is yes....

....and no!
Some have experienced engine failure at early mileage others, myself included, have well over 100,000 miles with minimal troubles. There is an issue with the windows, blind spots when backing up, not much factory support, some parts can be hard to come by and there is little aftermarket. But I wouldn't own anything else. Do a search on the above subjects and you'll find plenty of reading. Good luck in your search and welcome to th family!

tysamigo
02/11/2007, 06:30 PM
Raque,

Thank you very much. I would love to stop by and learn from you and see your VX. So far it's down to 3 VX's for me to choose from. One is in Indiana (not far from us) while one is in TX and the other in NV. The one in IN has the lowest mileage (by at least 25k lower miles). All 3 are the same price. The one in IN I can pick up on my own while the other 2 I would have to haul. So you may ask why wouldn't I just jump on the one in IN, well because it's not a proton. I'm still thinking it over.

Can I come by or meet you somewhere to look at it and ask you some questions?

I live close to the Jefferson Mall in Okolona. You can send me your answer to tysamigo@aol.com so we can exchange phone numbers, etc.

Hey I really appreciate this and look forward to hearing from you. I will likely make a final decision within a few days and make my purchase.

Thanks a lot
Tyler

thedutchguy
02/11/2007, 11:15 PM
Depends on if you're buying from your heart or from your head. :rolleyes:

johnnyapollo
02/12/2007, 06:24 AM
If you have the time to do so, you could purchase the VX in another state and buy a cheap plane ticket out to it, then drive the new VX home - several have done this and really enjoyed the experience - it also gives you time to "break in" the VX so you'll get used to the way it handles.

-- John

nfpgasmask
02/12/2007, 08:35 AM
I bought my VX used with under 30k.

My answer is YES, these trucks do need special pampering.

My VX drinks oil. If you do a search for "oil consumption" you should find lots of threads about this seemingly very common problem. I am no expert, but I would guess that the people out there that have had engine failure around 70k miles, were probably people who had the oil consumption problem and didn't know it or didn't stay on top of it. I check my oil once a week, and when on road trips, everytime I stop.

The window issue should also be kept in mind, but this is minor, imo.

The only other thing I would think about is that the VX is no Prius, so be prepared to spend money on gasoline. Its a heavy, hungry truck. And, once you have one, you will probably fall in love with it and spend 2 or 3 times the "normal" amount of money people spend on washing, waxing, rubbing with a diaper, etc.

My advice: Find a nice Proton, buy it, switch all fluids to high quality synthetics, ditch the stock rims, put on American Racing Teflon Mojaves with some nice meaty tires, and meet us all in Moab in May!

:) Bart

MustangO4
02/12/2007, 10:04 AM
I agree with all above and would also point out it lacks many amenities I think it should have from the factory so they should be on the list of things you might want to consider doing. Rear door popper, light in the back, fix the windows, are gotta do its, a throaty ehaust and some lift and tires are at the top of my, should do it mods. Going from a 4 runner to the VX was a big cut in nicities, but for fun and attention there is nothing like a VX. You'll love it!

JHarris1385
02/12/2007, 10:59 AM
Ty,

That VX in NV your looking at is nice. Its is the one with the yellow skid plate in the front and yellow around the shifters right? Looks clean. My opinion.

Plus I want a Proton for my 2nd VX im planning on purchasing in the next year, so Iv been watching.

I am just across the 2nd st bridge in Southern IN, if you need anything.

JHarris1385
02/12/2007, 11:24 AM
Another Proton a little closer in IL....about 275 miles away.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215719587&dealer_id=59316573&car_year=2001&model=VEHICROSS&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=ISU&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=47111&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=275

tysamigo
02/12/2007, 01:14 PM
JHarris,

Thanks a lot! I will certainly plan to visit you and our VX's can meet each other. Most everything you've listed are mods I wish to do myself. This is great that you are that close. Is this group the best way to reach you or by email? I will get a hold of you once I get my new baby :)

Ty

tysamigo
02/12/2007, 01:19 PM
Mustang and Bart,

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of this and I will take Jonny's advice. I have a plane ticket already. I've found yet another Proton that has only 43k miles on it from someone on this group. I'm waiting to hear a few more details and will likely go out to CA to see it and if I like it (which so far I do very much) and the price is right, I will buy it and drive it back.

Now that I know about the oil issue I will certainly be checking it on the way back. I will get an extended warranty from my local auth. Isuzu dealer (3 yr up to 100,000 miles on the odometer for $2k) and will ask them while in for its first service if there is anything that can be done about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Johnny,
How do you know what # Proton you have or how would I know what number my Proton will be?

Thanks
Tyler

JHarris1385
02/12/2007, 01:31 PM
Ty,

It will be the last four digits of your VIN.

JRH

Cobrajet
02/12/2007, 03:16 PM
Sounds like you've pretty much decided on travelling the country to get a Proton. Good choice. IMHO, the mileage should not be a deciding factor; overall condition and mainenance should. My VX has just over 98,000 miles and has been used as a daily driver since purchased. However, it has been meticulously maintained, all major service performed by the same dealership on schedule, all oil changes done by me on schedule, it has been garaged both at work and at home, so it does not have faded cladding and interior, and has never been smoked in, eaten in, or spilled in. I have never had any problems with the windows, CD player, oil loss/burning, or strange noises. I've reset the Check Engine light a few times (and it didn't come back) and I've replaced my shocks after one blew. My exprience has been exceptional, and I attribute that to regular maintenance and care. Bottom line, for any prospective buyer, don't pass on a VX just because it has "matured".

CrnCnn
02/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Mustang and Bart,

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of this and I will take Jonny's advice. I have a plane ticket already. I've found yet another Proton that has only 43k miles on it from someone on this group. I'm waiting to hear a few more details and will likely go out to CA to see it and if I like it (which so far I do very much) and the price is right, I will buy it and drive it back.

Now that I know about the oil issue I will certainly be checking it on the way back. I will get an extended warranty from my local auth. Isuzu dealer (3 yr up to 100,000 miles on the odometer for $2k) and will ask them while in for its first service if there is anything that can be done about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Johnny,
How do you know what # Proton you have or how would I know what number my Proton will be?

Thanks
Tyler

Are you looking at Ghengis', if so you might have made a good choice. I was interested in it a few months ago. Never went to see it though, decided on something else. I looked up the last four of the VIN and found that the previous owner did some nice things to it. I ran the carfax at that time too and it checked out.