PDA

View Full Version : Best method to remove lettering?

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
02/07/2007, 10:37 AM
So I was wondering the best way to take off the "isuzu" lettering on the back of my vehicross. I started with a razor and felt like I was scraping the clear coat and stopped. is that the only way? Any tips?

dog
02/07/2007, 10:50 AM
Make sure it's warm. I used a hairdryer set on low. Peeled a corner, then used dental floss to separate the glue from the finish.

PHO2GR4
02/07/2007, 10:58 AM
I'll be waiting until summer to debadge my VX. It's been TOO COLD lately.

Dog, was there any glue or other residue left on the paint after you removed the letters? If so, what's the best way to get rid of it?

Also, I plan to debadge the entire VX...not just the 'ISUZU' on the back, but all of the other lettering/decals/badges on the sides too. Are any of them especially tricky?

Thanks!

nfpgasmask
02/07/2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, you definitely wanna do this in the summer. I used the hair dryeer and floss trick. I would not use a razor. Get ready for some serious cleaning after too. You will end up with an outline of the logo when you are done. Use a clay bar kit to get the remaining gunk off the back, and then wash the VX really good. Once you are all clean, a good waxing will usually help get rid of most of the badge clouding. This spring I am going to take my VX and get a complete top to bottom detailing. I can't wait.

Bart

JHarris1385
02/07/2007, 02:16 PM
DO NOT use a razor, bad idea.

Also, I dont understand why use the blow-dryer and floss, when there is a product on the shelves called "adhesive remover"?????

I have only ever used this spray when removing badges from various cars. And I have had nothing but great results.

PHO2GR4
02/07/2007, 02:20 PM
WHICH shelves?!? I want to buy some!

Thanks!

JHarris1385
02/07/2007, 02:23 PM
I have found it at multiple places. I think even a Wal-Mart would carry it. Its near the wd-40, bug and tar remover sections. It has worked wonders. I fully de-badged an Intrepid long ago as my first debaging project. Made it look sweet.

nfpgasmask
02/07/2007, 02:34 PM
From my experience, the only thing that REALLY works to remove adhesive is acetone, and there was no way I was going near my paint job with acetone.

I think Goo Gone completely sucks. Its fine for little crap, but on big jobs its basically useless. The hairdryer method works good. I debadged my entire VX in under 2 hours...

Is there another product that removes sticky gunk safely and actually WORKS?

Bart

DO NOT use a razor, bad idea.

Also, I dont understand why use the blow-dryer and floss, when there is a product on the shelves called "adhesive remover"?????

I have only ever used this spray when removing badges from various cars. And I have had nothing but great results.

Chopper
02/07/2007, 02:56 PM
3M adhesive remover. Red and white can. You're gonna have to go to a auto paint store...we get it from Sherwin Williams, but any Dupont or other commercial paint supply will have it. Removes even hardened tree sap and fresh spray paint without attacking the clear ( but I always wash it off) It's mostly Naptha and Benzene (nice stuff) Wayne

nfpgasmask
02/07/2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Benzene is nasty shiz....

Bart

3M adhesive remover. Red and white can. You're gonna have to go to a auto paint store...we get it from Sherwin Williams, but any Dupont or other commercial paint supply will have it. Removes even hardened tree sap and fresh spray paint without attacking the clear ( but I always wash it off) It's mostly Naptha and Benzene (nice stuff) Wayne

biju
02/07/2007, 03:50 PM
So I was wondering the best way to take off the "isuzu" lettering on the back of my vehicross. I started with a razor and felt like I was scraping the clear coat and stopped...

Wasabi: that statement made me reach for my prozac and a stiff drink. ...

poor VX.

i agree with the other fam above - do it when warm > 3m adhesive remover on a rag around the lettering > then *gently* pick at a corner of the letters with your fingernail/floss/etc. Repeat.

best of luck.

-biju.

JHarris1385
02/07/2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Chop, I just looked and mine is 3M in about 14oz can, I dont recall it being too expensive either and I remember it doing the job quick.

MZ-N10
02/07/2007, 04:18 PM
wd40 and floss works on hondas...never tried on the vx tho

Mark Miller
02/07/2007, 04:23 PM
I just did it on my silver VX.
I bought a heat gun, but hair dryer will work.
I heated it up just a second or two, didn't get hot, just warm.
Then used a plastic putty knife ,to push it up.
It came off so good I saved the letters.
It took only minutes :)

I did my black VX different and I had to use a buffer after them mess I made.

I just did my wheels too, I was dreading doing them because it was such a pain last time. So I did it different this time.
I took the caps off and then used the heat gun to where it started melting the plastic sticker up and then I used a rag to pull the edge and it comes off in one piece. Then I set the caps up and used starting fluid to sit on the glue and after a couple of minutes used the plastic putty knife to take up the glue.

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
02/07/2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses...I did not get too far with the razor...just about a 1/4 inch of the corner of "U" in "Isuzu". I like the idea of people not knowing what brand of car I have...Let 'em think it's a concept BMW..it's our little secret right?

etlsport
05/04/2007, 03:13 PM
debadged today.. used a hair dryer and a plastic spatula, worked like a charm.. just a small warning though, there will be some letter "shadows" left behind mines an 01 that is very often washed and waxed

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/debadge_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/debadge_001.jpg)

nfpgasmask
05/04/2007, 03:15 PM
Good job. Mine had a cloudiness for about 6 months. After several washes and one DIY wax, I can't see it at all. Being debadged is much, much fun.

Bart

debadged today.. used a hair dryer and a plastic spatula, worked like a charm.. just a small warning though, there will be some letter "shadows" left behind mines an 01 that is very often washed and waxed

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/debadge_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/debadge_001.jpg)

etlsport
05/04/2007, 03:21 PM
yeah, mines not too bad, so im hopeful that itll go away with a fresh coat of wax and that new liquid claybar stuff... im eager to give that a shot!

yea my motivation to debadge came the other day, i pulled into a michael's and this family in a blazer in front of me just stared as i pulled in.. i started walkin towards the store and turned around because i heard talking, the dad and son were standing beside the vx pointing and gawking, i felt good, got to the door and a woman comes up to me and says 'what the heck is a cross?'(custom grille badge) and i explained it to her, the two next to my vx walked over and the dad says to the woman in a very disappointed voice.. "its just an isuzu" i wanted to tell him to take his blazer up against my isuzu and see what happened haha

nfpgasmask
05/04/2007, 03:26 PM
JUST AN ISUZU!!! Obviously he has no clue ;)

Bart

yeah, mines not too bad, so im hopeful that itll go away with a fresh coat of wax and that new liquid claybar stuff... im eager to give that a shot!

yea my motivation to debadge came the other day, i pulled into a michael's and this family in a blazer in front of me just stared as i pulled in.. i started walkin towards the store and turned around because i heard talking, the dad and son were standing beside the vx pointing and gawking, i felt good, got to the door and a woman comes up to me and says 'what the heck is a cross?'(custom grille badge) and i explained it to her, the two next to my vx walked over and the dad says to the woman in a very disappointed voice.. "its just an isuzu" i wanted to tell him to take his blazer up against my isuzu and see what happened haha

PHO2GR4
05/04/2007, 05:25 PM
I can also see some ghosting and residue on your license plate. What did you use to remove the license plate letters?

:cool:

Ascinder
05/05/2007, 09:26 AM
I would just like to throw in that a piece of plexiglass, lexan, and really any sheet plastic can be one of the greatest tools for removing all kinds of stuff like badges, adhesives, silicone type seals, gaskets, etc. You just need to put it on a grinding wheel for a couple seconds to make a chisel/putty knife type edge and it will remove anything without damaging paint or underlying material. It is also very versatile since you can reshape it to whatever angle/profile is needed. I usually get ahold of a big sheet of it then cut it into various ready to grind sizes just to keep around for future projects.

etlsport
05/29/2007, 08:45 AM
all this talk of taking letters off.. has anyone put them back on? i want to take off my VehiCROSS logos and repaint them and put em back on... rather than spend almost 100 bucks for new ones.. just not sure how to put em back on, any idears?

Dino
05/29/2007, 08:57 AM
3M, and others, make a two sided adhesive tape just for automotive trim. Check with your local auto paint supply house. ;)