PDA

View Full Version : Hood Latch Grease

nfpgasmask
02/05/2007, 02:19 PM
OK, so my hood latch release mechanism was really, really rusty. So I took it off and cleaned it up and gave it a quick shot of black spray paint.

Now, the latch sticks a little and is squeaking REALLY bad. I know now that the squeking sounds I have had all along were from the hood latch.

So I want to lube it back up nice and good. What product should I use to lube this part?

Thanks - Bart

VehiGAZ
02/05/2007, 06:37 PM
I use a lithium grease that sprays out of a can like WD-40. It's thicker than the runny WD-40, so it stays where you spray it. Handy stuff.

IndianaVX
02/05/2007, 08:35 PM
ive started using the cable lube on alot of things,.....i think it has graphite in it and really gets in there. kinda messy, but i just spray, then wipe everything else off..
put a paper towl behind what your spraying to prevent over spray

nfpgasmask
02/05/2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys, where can I get these products? Home Depot? AutoZone? Wal*mart?

Thanks,

Bart

VehiGAZ
02/06/2007, 06:02 AM
Probably at any of the three. I don't remember specifically where I bought the Li grease, though.

Cobrajet
02/06/2007, 03:38 PM
If the grease doesn't stop the squeaking, try wrapping some tape around the D-shaped catch where the secondary latch rubs it. I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak. An aftermarket bushing that fits snuggly might be better.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/hood_squeak_fix.jpg

nfpgasmask
02/06/2007, 03:45 PM
What is self-vucanizing tape and where can I get some? Does this mean that the tape kind of melts together after you stick it on? I was thinking of using some gaffer tape...

Bart

If the grease doesn't stop the squeaking, try wrapping some tape around the D-shaped catch where the secondary latch rubs it. I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak. An aftermarket bushing that fits snuggly might be better.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/hood_squeak_fix.jpg

PHO2GR4
02/06/2007, 04:09 PM
I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak.

If you use Vulcanizing tape, will your VX live longer? Will it prosper?

:cool:

IndianaVX
02/06/2007, 04:20 PM
hey bart,
cable lube......Ace hardware, or motorcycle shop, not sure about lowe's, etc....

vulcanizing tape, Lowes, ace, home depot, etc....should be around the electrical tape

dave

nfpgasmask
02/06/2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks!

Bart

hey bart,
cable lube......Ace hardware, or motorcycle shop, not sure about lowe's, etc....

vulcanizing tape, Lowes, ace, home depot, etc....should be around the electrical tape

dave

Cobrajet
02/06/2007, 05:38 PM
What is self-vucanizing tape and where can I get some? Does this mean that the tape kind of melts together after you stick it on? I was thinking of using some gaffer tape...
It's great stuff. Stretch it a little and it sticks to itself. I bought it to wrap the wiring harness in my Torino, and it's way better than electrical tape. I think I bought it at The Eastwood Company (http://www.eastwoodco.com/). It's been about 15 years since I bought it, so who knows anymore. It was personally delivered by Spock. :yesy:

rowhard
02/06/2007, 06:43 PM
Here's the Eastwood link, called 'Cold Shrink Tape'

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1387&itemType=PRODUCT

nfpgasmask
02/12/2007, 09:09 AM
So I put little strip of gaffer tape around the "U" shaped part of the hood latch, and voila! No more mice living in my VX! Wow, what a difference!

I still need to grease it up because its not popping open like it used to...

:) Bart

Cobrajet
02/12/2007, 03:38 PM
I still need to grease it up because its not popping open like it used to...Grease won't help much there iether. That will take some adjusting of the latch. I moved mine around several different ways until it released, but it still doesn't "pop up" like when it was new. For a while I had to jam a piece of plastic in the lever while I went outside to pull up the hood. I had the dealership adjust it at the next service, but it still wasn't right. It just takes time and patience to get it right. I'll play with mine some more when it warms up.

nfpgasmask
02/12/2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah, its kind of annoying. I don't understand why it won't pop. Even before the tape was put on, it wouldn't pop. Right now I have to have my wife pull the lever in the truck while I pull up on the hood. Somewhat annoying. I'm just quite happy the squeaking is gone.

The weird thing is, if I push the locking mechanism closed with a screwdriver (while the hood is open) I can pull the lever and it pops, but not with hood closed...

:confused: Bart

Grease won't help much there iether. That will take some adjusting of the latch. I moved mine around several different ways until it released, but it still doesn't "pop up" like when it was new. For a while I had to jam a piece of plastic in the lever while I went outside to pull up the hood. I had the dealership adjust it at the next service, but it still wasn't right. It just takes time and patience to get it right. I'll play with mine some more when it warms up.

PHO2GR4
02/13/2007, 01:18 AM
Bart,

There are two rubber stops under the front lip of the bumper...left and right of the latch.

Just screw them UPWARDS a little bit. Only a couple of turns. This raises them just enough to exert more upward force on the hood when the latch is released, allowing it to pop up free of the latch.

Try it! It's an easy fix.

MZ-N10
02/13/2007, 05:25 AM
Bart,

There are two rubber stops under the front lip of the bumper...left and right of the latch.

Just screw them UPWARDS a little bit. Only a couple of turns. This raises them just enough to exert more upward force on the hood when the latch is released, allowing it to pop up free of the latch.

damn was just about to say tat :mad: :p :p

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 08:24 AM
Awesome, I will try that.

THanks - Bart

Bart,

VehiGAZ
02/13/2007, 01:54 PM
And try some WD40 on everything that moves in the latch and spring mechanism. Mine would only open with two people until I cleaned it out good with WD40, and the pop returned (then I followed with the lithium grease discussed above).

Good luck!

Chopper
02/13/2007, 04:45 PM
Yo bra... how you get so much rust, way out there in the desert? Man, I thought you guys were dry. Not like you come outta Chi-town or something. Replace the whole thing now...while the part is readily available. Five years from now, when it craps out altogether, the story may be different. If the latch is getting crusty, swap out the cable too. Guarantee it's rotting too, and it's much easier to do while you can still open the hood with the cable. Voice of experience here, calling out your name... wait for it to stretch or break and you will regret it. It'll still be a PIA job ...just not as big a pain.

nfpgasmask
02/13/2007, 10:17 PM
I do not think my VX was garaged during its early years. My guess is this VX sat on a Chicago street through at least 4 winters. Out here, yeah, dry as a bone...

Bart

Yo bra... how you get so much rust, way out there in the desert? Man, I thought you guys were dry. Not like you come outta Chi-town or something. Replace the whole thing now...while the part is readily available. Five years from now, when it craps out altogether, the story may be different. If the latch is getting crusty, swap out the cable too. Guarantee it's rotting too, and it's much easier to do while you can still open the hood with the cable. Voice of experience here, calling out your name... wait for it to stretch or break and you will regret it. It'll still be a PIA job ...just not as big a pain.

Chopper
02/14/2007, 04:29 PM
The hardest part is feeding it through the firewall. I was kidding. Thought I remembered you as a Chicago resident in the past. Tough neighborhood if you're made of steel... or Floridian carbon compounds.

nfpgasmask
02/14/2007, 04:56 PM
Yup, I used to be a Floridian too! Lived there for 7 years, and hated every last sticky minute of it! I don't know how warm blooded creatures tolerate that festering sauna down there!

:) Bart

The hardest part is feeding it through the firewall. I was kidding. Thought I remembered you as a Chicago resident in the past. Tough neighborhood if you're made of steel... or Floridian carbon compounds.