PDA

View Full Version : grinding while turning

etlsport
02/05/2007, 07:07 AM
my train didnt come this morning so i had to drive the VX into the city.. went into the garage near my work which is crazy overcrowded, so turns were very tight.. when i cut the wheel hardover i heard a very faint grinding sound and noticed a little wobble in the turn like i was on loose rocks or something, sound came from the front of the car, not sure if it was wheel wells or not, my first thought was rubbing.. but that wouldnt make any sense because i have stock rims w/ 245/60/18 duelers, could be power steering fluid maybe? i didnt have a chance to look so when i get off or on lunch im gonna go scope it out, any ideas what i should check for?

also there were no more spots.. so i had to hand my keys to a valet :( i hope my babys okay!

MSHardeman
02/05/2007, 07:52 AM
etlsport,

The feeling that you are describing usually happens when the truck is in four wheel drive (crabbing). You do get a little feed back in the steering wheel (it'll jerk a little from side to side), and I'm sure if the four wheel drive was engaged you would here a little grinding as all of the gears meshed and fought to turn that tight of a radius.

I'm sure you would know if the truck was in four wheel drive, but that's my two cents.

Ldub
02/05/2007, 08:03 AM
Even though it sounded like it was coming from the front, it's probably hard to tell in a parking structure that is prone to reflecting sounds all over the place.

Another possibility is the clutches in the rear LSD making some noise during sharp turns. Have you changed rear diff. fluid lately ?, & if so, did you add LSD additive ?

You now have four cents.

etlsport
02/05/2007, 08:34 AM
MS, yea thats the first thing that crossed my mind was that crabbing effect, ive never felt it from 4wd but the way ive heard id described thats almost exactly what she was doin, but i wasnt in 4wd so i dunno

Ldub, i more felt the grinding than heard it and could almost be sure its from the front, but ill have someone listen while i turn to make sure its not coming from the back, i havent touched the differential since i got it but had the vx checked out by a dealer a couple days after buying.. its been about a year now w/o problems, could just be going, probably time to change it out anyway so ill probably go ahead and do that this weekend even if thats not the problem

thanks

nfpgasmask
02/05/2007, 11:20 AM
I bet its your tires. I used to have a similar issue when I had my old stock rims and BFG street tires. It was only really noticable on tight turns at moderate speed. This "crabbing" must be what I experienced. Now with my A/Ts this does not happen....

Bart

PS - Last time I went to San Fran, my wife booked a hotel with "parking". When I got there, I come to find that the "parking" was valet only. My heart sank when I realized I had no choice but to fork over my keys to some kid in a red vest...and give him money every time too...I told her next time to MAKE SURE parking is SELF parking... :)

my train didnt come this morning so i had to drive the VX into the city.. went into the garage near my work which is crazy overcrowded, so turns were very tight.. when i cut the wheel hardover i heard a very faint grinding sound and noticed a little wobble in the turn like i was on loose rocks or something, sound came from the front of the car, not sure if it was wheel wells or not, my first thought was rubbing.. but that wouldnt make any sense because i have stock rims w/ 245/60/18 duelers, could be power steering fluid maybe? i didnt have a chance to look so when i get off or on lunch im gonna go scope it out, any ideas what i should check for?

also there were no more spots.. so i had to hand my keys to a valet :( i hope my babys okay!

etlsport
02/05/2007, 11:36 AM
do you mean like its the tires rubbing? or the tires just suck so they are slipping? (they are only about 7 months old)

yea i am NOT keen on letting anyone else drive my VX.. the guy i had to give my keys to had to be at least 70.. he was hard of hearing and didnt seem to think too quickly.. made me very nervous, ive modified my shifter console quite a bit so its not obvious how to get it into gear.. i explained it to him like 4 times before leaving... didnt see him move the vx but i hope he got it, guess ill see in about 3 hours

p.s. dont mean any offence to the elderly and im not trying to say every 70 year old is a bad driver or anything.. but this particular guy didnt seem fit to drive at all

nfpgasmask
02/05/2007, 12:46 PM
In my case I think it had to do with my tires reacting with the TOD and AWD. It was like when I would turn the tires would feel like they were wobbling a little. Its hard to describe. That said, it was definitely NOT a rubbing or a grinding, so I am not sure exactly what your problem is...

Bart

do you mean like its the tires rubbing? or the tires just suck so they are slipping? (they are only about 7 months old)

yea i am NOT keen on letting anyone else drive my VX.. the guy i had to give my keys to had to be at least 70.. he was hard of hearing and didnt seem to think too quickly.. made me very nervous, ive modified my shifter console quite a bit so its not obvious how to get it into gear.. i explained it to him like 4 times before leaving... didnt see him move the vx but i hope he got it, guess ill see in about 3 hours

p.s. dont mean any offence to the elderly and im not trying to say every 70 year old is a bad driver or anything.. but this particular guy didnt seem fit to drive at all

IndianaVX
02/05/2007, 06:42 PM
etlsport,
were you turning the steering as far as it would go?? i sometimes get a wobble when im turning, and the steering wheel is as far left, or right as it will go. i dont know what im trying to say, but i know it has happened to me also. i only have to do this when i park in a certain place, and instead of backing up, i just cut it hard left, and pull out. but instead of holding the steering wheel all the way turned, i let off just a bit, still make my turn, and the wobble doesnt happen anymore.

etlsport
02/05/2007, 06:53 PM
yeah, it was when the wheel was turned as far as i could go (it was a tight parking garage to begin with and there was a row of cars double parked on one side.. so turning was tough, and the sound/feeling only came when i was holding the wheel at fully locked to the left (dont remember if it happened to the right or not... dont think it did)

p.s. i was right.. the guy still didnt understand how to use my shifter (press the shifter down to release shiftlock) so when i came back to my car it was moved.. but all they did was take the 4wd shifter out of position and push the VX to its new spot :rolleyes:

VXR
02/07/2007, 07:25 PM
Mine does this as well when the wheel is turned as far as it can go...