PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank - Right or Left

Mark B
02/01/2007, 03:09 PM
Anyone know the reasoning why manufacturers put the gas filler opening for the gas tank on different sides of the vehicle?
My VX gas fill opening is on the right, passenger side.
My Anigo gas fill oepning is on the left, drivers side.
Having 2 Isuzu's and the gas fill opening on different sides, I get them mixed up all the time. I usually pull up to the wrong side of the gas pump and have to go around to the other side depending on which vehicle I drive.

kpaske
02/01/2007, 03:21 PM
If it was always on the same side, filling stations would have to be built so that you could only approach the pump from one direction or the other.

From that point of view, it makes the most sense to place the fill tube in the rear (like in the old days when they put them behind the license plate) so you can approach any tank from either side, but its probably easier to route the tube around the trunk when its placed on one side or the other, especially in smaller cars.

Maybe someone else has another theory. ;Db;

rowhard
02/01/2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know why, but here is something that will make it easier for you.
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=351&NodeID=4189&RootID=629

Cobrajet
02/01/2007, 03:52 PM
A couple days ago I saw a guy filling what looked like a Lotus, and it had TWO gas fillers behind gull-wing style doors on the B-pillars. I could have sworn I saw him pump gas into BOTH sides. I did a Google search but couldn't find anything that resembled this configuration. Anybody know what it was?

FWIW, my '70 Torino Cobra has the filler behind the hinged license plate bracket. It's supposed to be a sealed cap, but I can't tell you how much gas I have lost over the years during “brisk” acceleration.

creeg
02/01/2007, 03:54 PM
http://ask.yahoo.com/20050422.html

rowhard
02/01/2007, 03:55 PM
There were (are) a number of British cars that had the twin tank setup.

nfpgasmask
02/01/2007, 04:21 PM
...has always been my favorite gas tank setup:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interceptor/images/cots/cots2.jpg

:) Bart

creeg
02/01/2007, 04:39 PM
A couple days ago I saw a guy filling what looked like a Lotus, and it had TWO gas fillers behind gull-wing style doors on the B-pillars. I could have sworn I saw him pump gas into BOTH sides. I did a Google search but couldn't find anything that resembled this configuration. Anybody know what it was?

FWIW, my '70 Torino Cobra has the filler behind the hinged license plate bracket. It's supposed to be a sealed cap, but I can't tell you how much gas I have lost over the years during “brisk” acceleration.

My dad had a jaguar with 2 tanks for a while (one on each side). Im guessing the Lotus is similar (but a LOT faster). It probably also has something to do with evenly distributing weight in a performance car like that.

MZ-N10
02/01/2007, 05:28 PM
My dad had a jaguar with 2 tanks for a while (one on each side). Im guessing the Lotus is similar (but a LOT faster). It probably also has something to do with evenly distributing weight in a performance car like that.

it wouldnt make much sense for weight distribution, since usually on cars the gas tank runs horizonally (from left to right) it wouldnt matter if there was 1 or 2 tanks. if anything they would put the gas tank under the passenger seat to even out the drivers weight.

arent most lotus MR? should the gas tank be in teh front like in some porsches?

etlsport
02/01/2007, 05:31 PM
iirc a buddy of mine has an audi where the tank runs front to back on the passenger side.. because the car was made for just the driver so the gas is supposed to counteract the weight of the driver.... dont know for sure but thats what he says

VehiGAZ
02/01/2007, 05:49 PM
Some oddball cars (you can throw Lotus into that bag) have both a main tank and a reserve tank, which is why you saw both sides being filled.

thedutchguy
02/02/2007, 12:02 AM
I think the reason is the same reason as why some cars have the exhaust comming out on the right-rear or left-rear. :confused:

nbvolks
02/02/2007, 06:41 AM
it wouldnt make much sense for weight distribution, since usually on cars the gas tank runs horizonally (from left to right) it wouldnt matter if there was 1 or 2 tanks. if anything they would put the gas tank under the passenger seat to even out the drivers weight.

arent most lotus MR? should the gas tank be in teh front like in some porsches?

On the MR2 (both MkI and MkII models) the gas tank runs lengthwise in the center hump between the driver and passenger seats. This was to put the weight of the tank squarely in the center of the car. I always like to point out to people who ride in it that they're resting their arm on the gas tank. It usually freaks people out that it's so close to them, but then I point out that if we get in a wreck that is so bad that the gas tank gets penetrated then that means one of the two of us is already dead. :(

kpaske
02/02/2007, 07:21 AM
I don't know why, but here is something that will make it easier for you.
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=351&NodeID=4189&RootID=629That's really cool. Do they make one to fit the Vehicross??? ;Db;

Chopper
02/02/2007, 03:33 PM
The Japanese always placed the filler inlet on the opposite side from the exhaust outlet, at least on cars assembled in Japan. I believe it is JDM law.

rowhard
02/02/2007, 03:42 PM
That's really cool. Do they make one to fit the Vehicross??? ;Db;
the small print: White letters silk-screened on a transparent adhesive background, 1/2” X 1” non-permanent sticker. 4 lefts and 4 rights are included with each set.

kpaske
02/03/2007, 10:06 AM
the small print: White letters silk-screened on a transparent adhesive background, 1/2” X 1” non-permanent sticker. 4 lefts and 4 rights are included with each set.Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke... :o

PHO2GR4
02/03/2007, 05:22 PM
BTW, a good way to remember which side the VX fuel filler door is on is to just look at the tiny gas-pump image (next to the 'empty' E) next to the fuel gauge.

See how the hose and filler are coming out of the right side of that cartoon pump? The fuel filler door is on the right side (passenger side) too!

You heard it here first...

Cobrajet
02/04/2007, 06:47 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/1988_Lotus_Esprit_Turbo.jpg

Here is what I saw. A ~1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo. It has identical filler doors on both B-pillars. This design hasn't aged much either. I thought it was much newer.