PDA

View Full Version : Fun with hail...part II

RobVX
05/06/2003, 10:22 PM
I think the man upstairs must be trying to tell me that I've been placing too much emphasis on material things...I never had these problems with cars I really didn't care about!
My VX caught some good hail damage about a month ago in DFW. I got it fixed at a paintless dent repair place (DentWorks in FW...they did a great job).
Tonight, I'm in Bridgeport, Texas at a City Council meeting...yup, the sky's opened up again. Golf ball size and bigger. The good news is I heard that storms might be likely so I parked 3 blocks away under a bank drive-thru. The bad news is that the hail was coming in at such an angle, the front part of the hood still got dented...but the rest of the VX was spared.
I suppose I'll wait till the spring storms are over before getting these fixed. Jinxed in FW (a.k.a. Rob A.)

paultvx
05/06/2003, 10:57 PM
I think it's where you live. Here in Oregon hail rarely get bigger than a grain of rice.

BumbleV-X
05/06/2003, 11:46 PM
Golf ball sized? Rice sized? Hail? What's hail?
Every now and then we see it. Least we think we do.

I'm sorry about the damage. I couldn't imagine golf ball, or bigger sized hail. That would keep me indoors and away from the windows.

In sunny Southern California ;Db; ,

Deby

WyrreJ
05/07/2003, 01:27 AM
Could be worse - you are living in tornado alley. Maybe you should teach your VX to snap its doors closed and say, "there's no place like home" just in case...

VX crazy
05/07/2003, 06:59 AM
Sorry to hear that Rob, we had hail here in Austin yesterday when I was out, thought it was going to break out the windshield while driving in it! I can't see any dents though, I have been hailed on several times in the VX, but no dents to find. See ya saturday Rob!

Jay Dunford
05/07/2003, 10:29 AM
Man Rob that's a shame, twice in a month!! Don't ya just love springtime? It could be worse though, growing up in western Oklahoma we had a storm drop 12" diameter discus shaped ice. It didn't just dent the sheetmetal it went through it.

tomdietrying
05/07/2003, 05:16 PM
Rob,
Sorry to hear about the hail. Make sure and let your insurance people look at it. I took my to have it looked at. Mine is Allstate. Anyhow, they said it was about $1700 worth of damage. I didn't know. I took their word for it. A buddy of mine, who work for an insurance company, told me they were not paying me enough. Allstate told me everything had to be fixed by dentless repair. It's cheaper and not as sound as conventional repair. Another buddy who does repairs on cars confirmed what my insurance buddy told me. To make a long story short I'm going to get convention body work done. It going to cost more about $3000, but hey, that's what I bought insurance for. My deductible will be the same $500. Don't let the insurance tell you that you HAVE to get it fixed with dentless.

My Ironman will be in the shop next week.

Tom

RobVX
05/07/2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the empathy fellow VXers. Tom, I am going back for paintless dent repair, the damage is not too bad in the grand scheme of things, and these guys I used are artists...not those guys that travel the country following the hail storms. I saw them take a car I would've thought was totaled and it looks as good as new. Let me know if you want to swing by and see their work...I'm getting to know the owner pretty well.
My theory is that unless the damage is not fixable by paintless, why would you want conventional body work? Those guys are gonna drill holes, pull the dents, bondo you up, and repaint. Unless your whole VX is getting painted, I think that's a problem.
On the bright side, I did order some Yokohama AVS s/t's that should be in soon. The dealer in Arlington has my new rims in and will put on the new tires soon! Jinxed (Rob A.)

paultvx
05/08/2003, 12:00 AM
Cool. It's great to be able to go to a shop you know you can count on. Very rare these days. I wish I knew a shop I could trust. I did once, but he's now out of business because he spent too much time making sure his work was flawless and wasn't turning enough cars around to break even. :(

SGT.BATGUANO
05/09/2003, 10:30 AM
The sheet metal on the hood seems so thin, we need one of our fabbers to create a fiberglass replacement hood. From there we could proceed to fenders and rear door as well.