PDA

View Full Version : Rim size/Tire size

Dumke
01/28/2007, 09:48 AM
I am sure it has been discussed and did a search but I need some help. Please. What is rim size fits the vx ? With stock and with lift. I was looking @ so AR rims and was wondering what size will fit without it looking to ghetto.

Ok for instance I guess explain size? offset? backside? bolt circle? Also it says 2wd 4wd. Does that really matter when looking @ rims? Maybe if someone can give me a brief description I will undertsand better.

Also tire size. When looking for the right rim what do you need to look @ as far as tire to tell what will fit?

rowhard
01/28/2007, 09:56 AM
Well, the 18 inch spec's are:
38mm offset (positive)
6 on 5.5 (139.7mm) bolt pattern
if that helps.

So if my math is right, if you went with something that had a 25mm pos offset, the outside rim edge would move out approx. 1/2 inch, 13 mm. Do the math from there.

PHO2GR4
01/28/2007, 11:18 AM
The AR Chambers rims fit the VX perfectly, even with the zero offset.

I have them on right now! And I got the idea from Bart, who has had them on even longer!

:p

Dumke
01/28/2007, 11:54 AM
Well I was trying to understand somethings really I saw where bart tried them on and it semi explained it to me with me looking on american racings website. I was looking @ getting the "Thug" Its not exactly what I want but close enough for now I guess. Anyways I didnt get the 18X9 or the backside stuff. I am making sure if I do go this route I get correct rim. I was trying not to go into a long spill but well now I have an dwill continue I guess. I was mearly needing above explain in simplified form. Kinda liek rims/tire stuff for dummies. Maybe need to go by barnes an dnoble on way home.

Anyways I got the offset deam but it just says liek -12 (i am guess that is mm??) the back side hasme scratching my head tho not sure what thats for. I am wanting to put nittor terra on them. the bigger ones anyways. So I guess there lies the question. Would I have to lift with the set up?

Also was talking to a friend. I know getting bigger tires or tires/rim combo messes with the speedo. I didnt even think the odometer as well. Is this true and how big of and increase would you have to go to see this change dramatically.

Thank you all for being patient. Trying to learn as I go here.

JHarris1385
01/28/2007, 12:42 PM
Honestly it would be a lot easier if you post links of desired tires and rims, and we can tell how they will fit if they do. Trust me I just went through the whole ordeal of ordering aftermarket rims and tires a month ago.

I have a lift with
16x8 pro-comp wheels with 4.5 backspacing
and 265-75-16 A/T tires.

before the lift I had 20x9
and 265/50R20

Dumke
01/28/2007, 01:16 PM
Honestly it would be a lot easier if you post links of desired tires and rims, and we can tell how they will fit if they do. Trust me I just went through the whole ordeal of ordering aftermarket rims and tires a month ago.

Ok here it is rims are::http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=260&name=Thug&style=3991&desc=1-piece%20black%20Teflon%20painted%20alloy&section=ORT

the tire size I guess doest matter too much was going to do tghe wider ones I think 285 or something but that is combo.

tires are: http://www.nittotire.com/tires_terragrappler.asp

I have a lift with
16x8 pro-comp wheels with 4.5 backspacing
and 265-75-16 A/T tires.

before the lift I had 20x9
and 265/50R20

Ok also answer is there a reason why when u do lift you put smaller rims on? I have seen alot do it just wondering why it is done. Why I ask is because I dont have lift yet wondering if need to wait till lift to buy rims or can I use the ones that I am buying now?

edit::: also what is backspacing? I get offset after reading but cant find out what backspacing is.

JHarris1385
01/28/2007, 04:26 PM
Those rims would fit, get the non-gm ones if you do. The 4.5 backspacing will not stick out like most will say. For reference look at my gallery I have 4.5 backspacing pro-comps. Or reference nfpgasmask's gallery for AR's with 4.5 backspacing as well. But remember he does NOT have 285 tires on. If I remember correctly he has 245's. I have 265's

To mess around your self with tire size combos. Go to http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos.

285-55/18 would fit without a lift, with little cladding trimming in the front. (not noticible)

I put smaller rims on after my lift so I could get more rubber. Less rim = more room for rubber and sidewall.

For instance overall diameter of tire before the lift was
265-50/20 = 30.5
after
265-75/16 = 31.7

My current set up did not need a lift to fit the tires in the back but with the 4.5 backspacing the front tires when turned at full extension would rub the back of the front wheel well midly. This can be altered with a little pounding of metal to fit with out a lift though.

Hope that helps.

Dumke
01/28/2007, 05:07 PM
Hope that helps.

OMG yes yes it does ty for the help. I been scratching my head thinking and rereading different post to make heads or tail of what is what. So backside and offset same thing? From what I gathered or guessing.

Thanks again that did help.

Ldub
01/29/2007, 07:08 AM
Ok also answer is there a reason why when u do lift you put smaller rims on? I have seen alot do it just wondering why it is done.

Most go with a taller sidewall profile (smaller rim diameter) & a little extra width (tire wider than rim) to protect the rim when off-roading.
Most of the time, when playing in the dirt/rocks, tires get aired down to lower pressure to increase traction by enlarging the "footprint".

Kenny
01/29/2007, 05:58 PM
Most go with a taller sidewall profile (smaller rim diameter) & a little extra width (tire wider than rim) to protect the rim when off-roading.
Most of the time, when playing in the dirt/rocks, tires get aired down to lower pressure to increase traction by enlarging the "footprint".

I've also heard a rule of thumb for airing down/rock crawling etc... is rim diameter is no bigger than half the tire diameter... i.e. 16" rim with a 32" tire.

etlsport
01/29/2007, 06:09 PM
I've also heard a rule of thumb for airing down/rock crawling etc... is rim diameter is no bigger than half the tire diameter... i.e. 16" rim with a 32" tire.

ok ldub.. time for 40" tires!!!

Ldub
01/29/2007, 06:26 PM
ok ldub.. time for 40" tires!!!

UMMMMM...O K, I'll get right on it...is that OK with you Mr. Checkbook ? :confused:

Mr. Checkbook say: NO-WAY ! :rolleyes:

Kenny
01/29/2007, 08:36 PM
UMMMMM...O K, I'll get right on it...is that OK with you Mr. Checkbook ? :confused:

Mr. Checkbook say: NO-WAY ! :rolleyes:

Since when do you listen to Mr. Checkbook?? :p
He's crazy anyways for staying in your pocket.

JHarris1385
01/29/2007, 10:05 PM
Who uses checks anyways?.

DUMKE - got any more tire/rim questions. So we dont steer to far away from the subject?

Dumke
01/30/2007, 07:20 AM
Well the one question or thing I need cleared up I asked above so will ask again. This is for only my understanding so I dont have to say hey will this fit this and know what is what.

Ok on americanracing.com it says offset whcih I understand it but when it says -25 ot -10 is that in mm?

Also Backside what is that? People have responded backspacing which is that the same as backside?

I just dont know what backside is that is my last question for now I am sure others will pop up and will ask of course when they do. thanks again guys.

Dumke
01/31/2007, 03:00 PM
Update--- Well I know it hasnt been very long just wanted to semi vent... BOOOOOOOO I called about my rims to get a price check to see what it will set me back and to my suprise they say they havent been released yet. I asked when he thougth they would be and was told maybe 2-3 months :mad: . maybe spring catalog...

What a tease man :(