PDA

View Full Version : VX only run

Todd Adams
01/26/2007, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately I will have to pass the torch this year on the VX only run proceeding ZuZoo X.

I have classes scheduled for the week as well as a night of testing in Salt Lake on May 15th. We will however make it down to Moab by Friday night and do trails Saturday and Sunday.

If things should change I will let everyone know but as of right now someone will need to do the planning and lead the trail.
Todd

Bimati
01/26/2007, 04:45 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....why, God, why?

I wish you the best with classes, Todd, and someone's got some big shoes to fill, cause meeting you last year was awesome.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fill the role due to the juggling of balls at work and home as well as the fact that I have only experienced real off-roading once - last year's VX only run.

Anyone? Anyone?

biju
01/26/2007, 05:27 AM
The VX Gods are angry with us. What can we sacrifice to please them?

Good luck in your classes Todd. Thanks for doing the VX run in the past! I've really enjoyed them.

-biju.

Scott Harness
01/26/2007, 05:44 AM
Good Luck! See you Saturday and thanks for the great trails.

Ldub
01/26/2007, 07:00 AM
Best of luck on your classes/ testing Todd, your knowlege of terrain & landmarks, and willingness to share, made last years VX run a great experience.
You & your family will be missed...& "psycho" the wonder dog too.

Now we'll all most likely end up driving around aimlessly, saying : "hey, look at that...wonder what THAT is...wish Todd was here to splain it to us." OR..." I think were lost !"...you get the idea, no pressure though. :p ;)

See ya later in the week... :cool:

tomdietrying
01/26/2007, 08:49 AM
Todd has ALWAYS had the best runs! I'm sorry you will have to miss Moab this year. I've learned a lot from you.

With that being said, I've been on three runs with Todd. Two of them being VX Runs. Two of those runs I've come back a year later in my VX to lead my father in his Rubicon.

1. Hotel Rock in the Cedar Mesa Area.
2. Elephant Hill in Canyonlands National Park.

These are very fun and challenging runs. Several stock VXs have been on both of these runs and did GREAT.

One option is wouldn't mind I wouldn't mind co-leading one of these runs again with another VXer.

Peace.
Tom

biju
01/26/2007, 08:53 AM
ELEPHANT HILL!!!! here! here!! :_beer:

-biju.

Ldub
01/26/2007, 08:59 AM
ELEPHANT HILL!!!! here! here!! :_beer:

-biju.

DITTO !!!...I nominate Tom to get us all there & back, alive & in one piece...no pressure though. ;)

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 09:18 AM
Well friends, if the VX Only run is up in the air, is it possible that we could schedule it later in the week as opposed to Tuesday? My obstacle with going was that having the VX only run during the middle week days kinda makes taking off work difficult. So might I suggest a Friday or a Saturday???

:rolleyes: Bart

biju
01/26/2007, 09:33 AM
Well friends, if the VX Only run is up in the air, is it possible that we could schedule it later in the week as opposed to Tuesday? My obstacle with going was that having the VX only run during the middle week days kinda makes taking off work difficult. So might I suggest a Friday or a Saturday???

:rolleyes: Bart

That might be difficult to organize, but anything's possible as it's way early in the planning stages. Traditionally (from my understanding) there's still ZuZoo trails being run on Friday and Saturday - and Sunday's the wrap up/games/awards/party/bbq hang out and drink a lot day...

-biju.

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 09:36 AM
Oh OK, I wasn't aware of that other stuff going on. So basically ZuZoo goes on from Wednesday through Sunday? The VXers couldn't branch off and go on a VX only run separately? I mean, I don't care really, just trying to think of a way I can definitely make it!

Bart

That might be difficult to organize, but anything's possible as it's way early in the planning stages. Traditionally (from my understanding) there's still ZuZoo trails being run on Friday and Saturday - and Sunday's the wrap up/games/awards/party/bbq hang out and drink a lot day...

-biju.

ZEUS
01/26/2007, 09:40 AM
WARNING!!! If anyone goes to Canyonlands, keep in mind you may be fined if you bring a dog. I was fined $75 last year for having my dog when I did Elephant Hill in my VX. It is considered wilderness or something since the trail is considered a "backroad". Supposedly, they are afraid of bats getting rabies from your dog's poo! Elephant Hill is a fun trail but it is around 80 or 90 miles south of Moab... luckily you don't need to air down to do it!

Ldub
01/26/2007, 09:41 AM
Bart,

You can be there any day that fits your schedule, just cause it's not the "VX run" doesn't make it any less fun...ther'll most likely be a number of VX's on most of the 3.5 - 4.? runs on any given day.

biju
01/26/2007, 09:53 AM
Bart,

You can be there any day that fits your schedule, just cause it's not the "VX run" doesn't make it any less fun...ther'll most likely be a number of VX's on most of the 3.5 - 4.? runs on any given day.

This is completely true! I've never gone on a run at Zu where I was the only (or less than 4) VX! Wouldn't mind branching off to do a VX thing myself... although, we are already seen as elitists/snobs at Zu. :_confused bwahahahahaaa I love it.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 10:04 AM
What about regular Moab trails and campsites? CeCe goes with her daddy everywhere, or else daddy doesn't go....

http://nofuture.com/dailys/sc09.jpg

See how much fun she has outside?

:) Bart

WARNING!!! If anyone goes to Canyonlands, keep in mind you may be fined if you bring a dog. I was fined $75 last year for having my dog when I did Elephant Hill in my VX. It is considered wilderness or something since the trail is considered a "backroad". Supposedly, they are afraid of bats getting rabies from your dog's poo! Elephant Hill is a fun trail but it is around 80 or 90 miles south of Moab... luckily you don't need to air down to do it!

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, but as biju already pointed out, we are regarded as the elitist/snobs of the Zu world, and therefore my VX would only like to ride alongside other VXes. Troopers and Rodeos are not good enough to be near my beautiful Ebony VehiCROSS. :)

JK of course, but it would be cool for some of use to branch off. Oh well, I will just see what happens I guess and do my best to be there on whatever days I can...I was just looking forward to the VX ONLY run.

Bart

Bart,

Anita
01/26/2007, 10:56 AM
If you want to see really great pics of the trip to Elephant Hill, 3D and Seven mile rim, see Scott's other site that has pics from several Moab trips.

http://www.moncha.com/vxframe.html

Click "pics", then "vx albums", then "zuzoo IV moah ut", then choose the trail.

Scott Harness
01/26/2007, 11:46 AM
Last year we decided that it would no longer be a "VX only run". It's just the VX run anybody can roll with us. ALL WELCOME ALL WELCOME :)

Triathlete
01/26/2007, 12:38 PM
The main idea behind the inception of the VX run was to allow some of the seasoned VXers to help the rookie VXers find out what their VX is capable of before joining in on all the fun of ZuZoo. Todd usualy picked a trail that had enough difficulty to make the noobs pucker (just ask Biju) but not enough to do damage (as long as you could follow instructions and trust your spotter). This would make you more comfortable when out with the main groups. Plus it allowed everyone to meet each other.
Trust me, if you don't make it to the VX run you will still have a great time on the trail at ZuZoo. Everyone there is more than helpfull and there are some great people there.

ZuZoo goes Wen.-Sat. Sat trail runs are usually short ones o everyone can make it back on time for the fun and games and food of ZuZoopoluza. Sun. is a drive day!

ZEUS
01/26/2007, 01:04 PM
What about regular Moab trails and campsites? CeCe goes with her daddy everywhere, or else daddy doesn't go... :) Bart

I have had my dog at a couple of camping sites in the Sand Flats Area and along the river and I have never been approached by the sheriff or Mr. Park Ranger Sir. Likewise, the motorpark we stayed at last year had several dogs playing poker and licking each others butts. Trails around Moab have never been a problem either. Arches National Park is possibly the same story as Canyonlands however.

Triathlete
01/26/2007, 01:16 PM
HERE (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=955140&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) is more info from 4x4Wire.

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 04:26 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. Man, I tell you, I will never understand the "no dogs" rules that I am seeing more and more at state parks and national forests.

Honestly, can someone explain to me how a little dog poo is worse than thousands of humans that pollute, leave trash, drive vehicles that spew exhaust, make noise, trample flora and fauna and frequently drop oil/fluid and leave a rubber road behind them? If dogs are not allowed, one would think people should not be either.

And maybe I am stupid, but if bats can catch rabies from my dogs poo, doesn't that mean that my dog must be rabid? In which case, there is a much, much bigger issue here....

Just my thoughts on this subject. If anyone can educate me so that this makes sense, please do...

Bart

etlsport
01/26/2007, 05:32 PM
i think the no dogs rule is one of those instances where a kid blows his hand off with a firework so they outlaw them in the whole state... a few owners who let their dogs run free without even keeping them within sight and it of course runs up on the 2 people in the whole park who have a phobia of dogs.. so they freak out and the dog freaks out and someone gets bitten..

Ldub
01/26/2007, 06:15 PM
i think the no dogs rule is one of those instances where a kid blows his hand off with a firework so they outlaw them in the whole state... a few owners who let their dogs run free without even keeping them within sight and it of course runs up on the 2 people in the whole park who have a phobia of dogs.. so they freak out and the dog freaks out and someone gets bitten..

Good point...add to that the multitude of pet owners that are too lazy / irresponsible to clean up the "leavings" of their pride & joy, & all of a sudden...no dogs allowed happens.
It's always the actions of a few rotten apples that screw it up for the rest. :rolleyes:
If all pet owners were responsible, there would be very few apartment buildings with a "no pets allowed" policy.

Triathlete
01/26/2007, 06:30 PM

Honestly, can someone explain to me how a little dog poo is worse than thousands of humans that pollute, leave trash, drive vehicles that spew exhaust, make noise, trample flora and fauna and frequently drop oil/fluid and leave a rubber road behind them?

The people you meet at ZuZoo are resposible wheelers and will preach the tread lightly rules to you daily before each run. If you resemble the person above (hopefully you don't) then you will probably not get along to well there! Just ask anyone who was on Golden Spike when the Hummer yahoos went through (long story, but they had more money than common sense or courtesy).

nfpgasmask
01/26/2007, 08:31 PM
Well, you're probably right. I was just in Santa Cruz a few weeks ago. They have basically outlawed dogs in Santa Cruz, even on the street in the shopping area. We stopped in a shop that sells specialty dog and cat stuff and asked the girl about why dogs are not allowed. She said it was because someone slipped on some fresh steamy doggie poo and ended up suing the city of Santa Cruz and voila, no dogs allowed.

My whole problem with it, is that parks try to say dogs are in some way bad for the environment. I wish they would just come out and say its because of their poo that people don't clean up, instead of some mumbo jumbo like they scare wildlife away. I would say my VX is a lot scarier to a wild animal, than another animal.

Its just another bass ackwards rule that is, "For me to poop on!" in the words Triumph.

biju
02/28/2007, 03:55 PM
2.5 mo's away... any final word on who's leading this?

-biju.

biju
03/07/2007, 08:21 PM
Alright VX Zu-sters... are we of the opinion the VX run will still happen in the absense of Todd Adams - or do we feel this won't happen?

As people are surely needing to make plans/reservations we should probably nail this down.

Tom mentioned possibly co-leading a run... thoughts? ideas? Tom you still open to this?

Personally, I'm 50/50 - and on the fence today...

Lets discuss...

-biju.

ZEUS
03/08/2007, 07:27 AM
There def. SHOULD be a VX run! I would be willing to co-lead as well but I can't commit to that until I get my front 3rd member rebuilt. I hope to tear it down next month when I move into my new house! If someone else doesn't volunteer before then and my rebuild goes smoothly I would be willing to co-lead... Let's not give up just yet. Someone else want to step up to the plate?

Moncha
03/08/2007, 07:37 AM
Ok, I'll discuss this.

When I decide to go, I've been enough times that I could probably lead something.. I have a nice GPS setup so, we wouldn't get too lost. And I promise to not scare anyone again (Well maybe)

I just need a little more time to see what is in store for my near future...

biju
03/08/2007, 08:53 AM
When I decide to go...
:p :p funny...

Glad to know you're going. :supercool Now when you 'decide to go' hope you can make the convoy/BBQ!

Stay well.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
03/08/2007, 09:52 AM
Well, all I can say is that if there is a VX Only Run, I will be that much more into it. I really want to go...

Bart

tomdietrying
03/08/2007, 12:00 PM
I'll lead the VX Run. I'll need a tail gunner. Any volunteers??????

I think from reading the previous post the general consences is Elephant Hill? That's a fun 3.5 trail. Beginners will have a blast.

Peace.
Tom

P.S.
There are always a couple of ex VXers that bring their other ride and enjoy the fun with us. I think last year the ratio was 15/2.

biju
03/08/2007, 12:19 PM
I think from reading the previous post the general consences is Elephant Hill? That's a fun 3.5 trail. Beginners will have a blast.
Tom lead. Moncha lead. Tom & Moncha co-lead - doesn't matter! If we do this, Zu noobs pay attention: YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS ELEPHANT HILL...!!! It's the most fun, exhilarating, scenic, pee in your pants*, adrenaline rush in/around Moab for first time VX offroadsters... (IMO). When I did Elephant Hill I could have gone straight home and been perfectly content with my sense of accomplishment. (Can you tell that run made an impression on me?)

* Note: Volume of pee may vary by individual, rig driven and beer consumed the night before.

Although, I'd be happy with any run really... it's all a good time.

-biju.

Tone
03/08/2007, 01:43 PM
I second and third that! One of the most fun trails I've ever run in Moab. If Todd had never taken us on it, I doubt that any of us would have run it as the start alone looks much more difficult than it really is but it ain't no cake walk either... And not too many places to get lost IIRC.

tomdietrying
03/08/2007, 04:52 PM
I missed a post. I didn't realize Scott(Moncha) said he wanted to lead the VX Run. Scott has been to way more ZuZus than me. This is only my third. Plus he's the brains behind this board. I would be honored if Scott led this years VX Run.
Peace.
Tom

biju
04/04/2007, 11:20 AM
Tom/Scott: Any updates on this? Are we/can we do elephant hill for the VX Run?

What's the back-up trail if all else fails?

Thanks guys...

-biju.

nfpgasmask
04/04/2007, 11:26 AM
...I am a little curious about the plan as well. I would very much like to see this with my own eyes:

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/ut/elephanthill/eh7.jpg

tomdietrying
04/04/2007, 06:39 PM
I can lead Elephant Hill @ Canyonlands N.P. on Tuesday 5/15/07. I think Scott (Moncha from Colorado) would like to lead this trail, and I would like for him to lead if that's what he would like to do. Just let me know.

Here's a thought of anyone going to Moab from the south or west..........like Texas,New Mexico, Arizona,Nevada, or southern Cali. You are more than welcome come along and do as much or as little as you want.

I think Scott Harness (Dallas) might do some of this. Saterday evening go to a mountain hot spring (this is really cool) in northern New Mexico. On the 13th, take a small hike to the Citadel. It's an Indian dwelling that sit on the top of a mesa. They built it up there for defensive reasons. It's absolutly breath taking! It's located in the Cedar Mesa area in southern Utah ................I've been wanting to do this for a long time. May 14th do a 4x4 trip to Hotel Rock in the Cedar Mesa area. A couple of years ago Todd Adams made this a VX Run. This one is A LOT of fun. Finally on May 15th, meet up with the other VXs for the 2007 VX Run in Canyonlands N.P. then to Moab.

Like I said....all are welcome.......do as much or as little....it will be good to meet up with anyone.

Peace.
Tom

Baxman
04/06/2007, 01:09 PM
I've been out of the loop and just saw this thread. I did E-Hill 5 years ago, and I still think about that place - I really did "get my thrill on Elephant Hill"! Todd Adams is one of the most skilled offroaders I know (and I know a few!), but he has alway been an excellent tour guide with extensive geologic, political, environmental and historical knowledge of the area. We'll miss you, Todd!

Fortunately, Tom and or Scott are willing to step up; thanks guys! I'm willing to help out with this run, too, but, like I said, it's been 5 years. I suggest that we meet at Moab McDonald's (good landmark) Tuesday morning and caravan to Canyonlands. IIRC the run needs to be kept as informal and spontaneous as possible, because the Park Service will not allow organized (ZuZoo-like) runs. Todd would likely have good advice for the trail leader.

Scott Harness
04/07/2007, 10:43 AM
...I am a little curious about the plan as well. I would very much like to see this with my own eyes:

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/ut/elephanthill/eh7.jpg

Joint trail is great.I believe it is in Canyonlands National Park(needles district) looks just like your picture.It will be in any hiking pamplets.Stop by the info center

tomdietrying
04/09/2007, 06:18 PM
Biju,
I sent you a pm.
Peace.
Tom

Kenny
04/10/2007, 09:08 AM
Excerpt from my guide:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/EL_Hill_p1.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/EL_Hill_p2.jpg

Probably should have blacked out some text so as not to scare anyone.. ;) :p

Just pick the right line. :)

nfpgasmask
04/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Ummm, yeah, like you should have blacked out the bit about "body damage", and the bit about "high ground clearance, skid plates, and rocker panel protection", all of which I do not have.... :eek:

I'm not saying I'm scared, but their ain't no way I am putting my VX into a hazardous position that it is not suited for...

So is this guide exagerating a tad or should I start getting worried? :)

The only non-stock mod I have that might help are my BFG A/Ts. No lift, no skid plates, nada.

:confused: Bart

Excerpt from my guide:

Probably should have blacked out some text so as not to scare anyone.. ;) :p

Just pick the right line. :)

Triathlete
04/10/2007, 10:56 AM
I would say most of those books OVERRATE the trails a bit. This trail has been done as the VX run before and had STOCK VX's with road tires do just fine. If you trust your spotter and pick the right line you'll have no problems. If you are unsure...I recomend you follow other vehicles set up like yours and watch the line they take. Elephant hill is rated a 3.5 which equates to intermediate. HERE (http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html#eh) is a great place for tril descriptions (including elephant hill) and ratings.
Keep in mind you can get damage on even the easiest of trails if you are not paying attention...but as long as you pay attention, pick the ears of those with experience, and have a little faith in your driving skills and your VX you will be just fine.

Locomigo
04/10/2007, 10:56 AM
I got one word for ya buddy....

RELAX!

Chuck Wells errs on the WAY conservative side as to not get people in over their heads.

Most of these guys have done this trail before, and all you need to do is enjoy yourself, listen to the spotter and watch what the VX in front of you does and you will be fine.

Are there possibilities, YES absolutely, this is an assumed risk activity and things can and do happen. Does it happen frequently? No.

Ive been out there doing these runs for several years, this one makes seven. Often times twice a year in Moab (May/Novemeber). Through all that time, I dont recall more than a double handful of instances for damage through a standard trail run. Some of the more catastrophic failures are attributed to more hardcore trails, and taking more risk with some of the more nutty guys. I do not see that in this group.

Feel free to bounce questions off of me.

nfpgasmask
04/10/2007, 11:03 AM
Cool, I am perfectly patient when it comes to negotiating tough spots, and I have no problem taking those spots slowly and carefully. I just don't want to hurt my baby (and my only means of transportation).

The trail sounds awesome and I cannot wait to take in some of the scenery. I need to get my spare and roof rack asap.

Other than that, I pretty much have all the gear I need!

Bart

I would say most of those books OVERRATE the trails a bit. This trail has been done as the VX run before and had STOCK VX's with road tires do just fine. If you trust your spotter and pick the right line you'll have no problems. If you are unsure...I recomend you follow other vehicles set up like yours and watch the line they take. Elephant hill is rated a 3.5 which equates to intermediate. HERE (http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html#eh) is a great place for tril descriptions (including elephant hill) and ratings.
Keep in mind you can get damage on even the easiest of trails if you are not paying attention...but as long as you pay attention, pick the ears of those with experience, and have a little faith in your driving skills and your VX you will be just fine.

Kenny
04/10/2007, 11:08 AM
Ummm, yeah, like you should have blacked out the bit about "body damage", and the bit about "high ground clearance, skid plates, and rocker panel protection", all of which I do not have.... :eek:

I'm not saying I'm scared, but their ain't no way I am putting my VX into a hazardous position that it is not suited for...

So is this guide exagerating a tad or should I start getting worried? :)

The only non-stock mod I have that might help are my BFG A/Ts. No lift, no skid plates, nada.

:confused: Bart

It's probably a bit exagerated, but also is refering to other stock trucks with 20" wheels and low ground clearance. I don't really consider the stock VX in the same category as other stock trucks like Jeeps and Toyotas.

Last year I was same as you, no armour - no lift, scared to death of body damage, and came out clean.

You'll be fine, the common advice is; listen to the trail lead, accept advice, follow another VX that is similarly equiped to you, and don't rush.

Last year's VX run included Gold Bar Rim, it has a similar diffuculty rating.

Take a scan through this post to see other trails from 2006...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

nfpgasmask
04/10/2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks again fellas....im excited.

Bart :p

biju
04/10/2007, 01:16 PM
Kenny, kenny, kenny... don't scare folks! geesh. :p

Elephant hill is cake. bust out the wine and cheese, and put in a DVD of your choosing and let the VX do its thing!

-biju.

Anita
04/10/2007, 01:31 PM
Elephant Hill is great! Many of us did that trail with stock tires and no lift. No problem!!

nfpgasmask
04/10/2007, 01:38 PM
Now these are the kind of replies I was looking for!!!

;) Bart

Locomigo
04/10/2007, 01:51 PM
I guess you can call me a realist of sorts.. would rather give you both sides of the coin to consider and let you make your choice and be relieved when you come through unscathed rather than sugar coating everything and giving a false sense of security and have you be upset should something minor happen. Either way, I don't expect that you will suffer catastrophic failure. Maybe some UT pin striping, scratched cladding, or a flat, but thats about it.

So, what time are you guys planning to hit the trailhead on Tue?
I had planned to run this trail on our way into Moab this year as well, and right now we are up in the air for either Mon or Tue. A lot depends upon whether we spend two or three days on Hole in The Rock.

We are leaving Friday and hitting Capital Reef (including the cathedral area loop), along with the northern section of Hole in the Rock to Lake Powell. Also want to hit Natural Bridges, that may be Mon evening after running the difficult southern portion of Hole in the Rock. If so, I wil loop around and probably intercept you guys at some point on Tue.

Anita
04/10/2007, 02:27 PM
Reality has a place here. If you dont want to get a scratch, ding, bang on your VX, dont do it. But chances are that you will get through it all unscathed and have a blast. The reality is anything is possible.. scratched/gauged cladding from rough brush or rocks, a nip at your rims, etc, etc.... or NOTHING. I've gone twice to Moab and my VX suffered no permanent injuries. ;) ;)

nfpgasmask
04/10/2007, 02:57 PM
I'll be in Moab Monday and Tuesday but I have to make the journey back west on Wednesday :(

Bart

biju
04/10/2007, 03:17 PM
I'm currently working with Tom (tomdietrying) to figure out meeting time/place.

stay tuned.

-biju.

Triathlete
04/10/2007, 03:24 PM
Even with some of the trails I've been on in my 2 trips to ZuZoo I have come away with only a little cosmetic damage...a front parking light the first year (when an unseen rock jumped out from nowhere on an easy obstacle on Poison Spider) and a few scrapes on the cladding last year (see Hells Gate photos). Other than that everything else just buffed out!

tomdietrying
04/10/2007, 06:38 PM
Locomigo,
If you are going to be at Natural Bridges on Monday, you might want to 4x4 Hotel Rock Indian Ruins with a couple of us and drive to Canyonlands N.P. the next day (Tuesday) for Elephant Hill. Let me know if you might be interested.
Peace.
Tom

VX crazy
04/10/2007, 07:01 PM
The 3 times I took my truck to Moab, no damage!

Locomigo
04/10/2007, 08:02 PM
Locomigo,
If you are going to be at Natural Bridges on Monday, you might want to 4x4 Hotel Rock Indian Ruins with a couple of us and drive to Canyonlands N.P. the next day (Tuesday) for Elephant Hill. Let me know if you might be interested.
Peace.
Tom

Tom, thanks for the offer.
Unfortunately, I think that I will not be able to meet up with you that day. Here is why: a group of us are meeting up Sunday morning to run Hole in the Rock, we will get to the end of the trail @ Gray Mesa overlooking Lake Powell that evening to set up camp and return out the next day (Monday).

It is my hope that I will have enough time on Monday afternoon/evening to explore Natural Bridges and set up camp. Those trails/areas seem really cool and I would love to meet up with that, but I just dont see that I wil have enough time.

Where are you departing from Tuesday morning and what time?

Ive got a couple buddies that will be in Moab during the weekend and are coming down to meet up with us on Tuesday to run the trail, so we could have a decent turn out there. At this time, I have potential of 7 rigs (2 from Moab, and 5 of us running Hole in the Rock).

Thanks for the info though, it is appreciated. If we can make it work out, I will let you know.

driver3
04/16/2007, 10:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have the vehicle inspection checklist for moab? I've been looking for it everywhere, it was sent to me in a packet for moab V... I'm probably not going this year, can't sign up anymore anyway, but please post it here if anyone can for info...

Last time I went, some of the things were

WATER
CB
Orange flag
full size spare...

etc...

Thanks!

nfpgasmask
04/16/2007, 11:56 AM
Good idea.

Do we need to bring some sort of flag for Moab? I have a bunch of supplies I am bringing, but a good collective checklist would be helpful.

Bart

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have the vehicle inspection checklist for moab? I've been looking for it everywhere, it was sent to me in a packet for moab V... I'm probably not going this year, can't sign up anymore anyway, but please post it here if anyone can for info...

Last time I went, some of the things were

WATER
CB
Orange flag
full size spare...

etc...

Thanks!

Ldub
04/16/2007, 12:04 PM
I didn't notice any offroad flags last year.

driver3
04/16/2007, 12:10 PM
We had to have them for moab V... We also did a rallycross by some sand dunes south of moab that year, they may have been for that. When I did Moab V, we were sent packets after registration that had all the checklists...

Scott Harness
04/16/2007, 03:48 PM
It's official-NO OFFICIAL ZUZOO-We can still have fun anyway!!

tomdietrying
04/16/2007, 05:28 PM
No Official ZuZu is no big deal. We have plenty of capable people who can lead a trail.

With that said, I'll lead the VX Run on Tuesday (Elephant Hill @ Canyonlands N.P.). Biju will be helping with getting everyone from Moab to Canyonlands N.P. He's in charge of setting up the time and place for everyone to leave from in Moab. He will put up a post soon.

A few things to bring.
1) Tools
2) Jumper Cables
3) CB
4) Air Pump (plugs into lighter)
5) Tow Rope
6) Water
7) Lunch (We will stop and relax for lunch)
8) Remember to tie down your spare.
9) Extra quart of oil
10) Binoculars
11) Hat
12) Sun glasses
13) Sun screen
14) A camera

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Locomigo where are you camping on Monday?

Triathlete
04/16/2007, 05:46 PM
No flags are needed for trails in Moab. The past two years only the trail leader, shotgunner, and tailgunners ran flags on the trail but only to identify them as such (dunes are another story). If you do a search on here you will find many check lists of items to carry. ZuZoo is just like any other trip on the trail, carry the basic nessesities. And its a good idea to tie down EVERYTHINGthat can fly and hit you in the head or get lodged under a gas or break pedal! I tie everything down that moves including occupents (buckle up).

Locomigo
04/16/2007, 05:59 PM
I havent determined that yet.

One option is around Natural Bridges...

Another is near the National Park (Canyonlands). There is a back road way to EH that intersects on the SW tail that comes off the loop.

And then there is another yet another to be determined option...

What time are you guys planning to start the trail on Tue? 9A, 10A?

biju
04/16/2007, 07:20 PM
lets plan to meet at the McDonalds at 8am. (For new folks, there's only one McDonalds in moab - hard to miss!

please indicate in the poll if you are attending the VX Run so we know who to wait for at the McD's.

Thanks Anita for adding the poll at the top!

We'll take off shortly after all arrive and meet tom and others at newspaper rock:

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/newspaper.jpg

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/elephant01.jpg

then, possibly head out to air down/bathroom break, etc at the visitor's center???

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/elephant02.jpg

if all goes well, we should be on the trail at 930am. tom, does this work??

-biju.

biju
04/16/2007, 07:21 PM
p.s. - don't forget there's a fee to enter the park. bring your pesos!!!

-biju.

biju
04/16/2007, 07:29 PM
does anyone have the vehicle inspection checklist for moab?
don't have the inspection list, but here are some things i brought last couple meets in moab:

Garmin Rino GPS (& xtra batteries)
CB Handheld (w/ car plug & batteries)
Wrench Set
Screw Driver
Pliers
Water Canteens
Camelback
Flashlight (& batteries)
Blanket
Cooler
1qt Royal Purple 10w30
Digital Cam & Charger
Blank CD’s
Powerbook
Visine
Sunglasses
Bungee Cords
Rain Jacket
Cell Phone (& charger)
Camp Medical Kit
Camp Knife
Extra Rags
Sunscreen
Hat
Extra audio/blade Fuses
Spare Tire
Mallet
Tire Gauge
Tire Deflators
Spare Skid Plate Bolts
Nylon Tow Strap

...adjust accordingly to your situation.

-biju.

Triathlete
04/16/2007, 07:47 PM
Here is a good link of stuff to bring (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=673&highlight=moab+check+list).

Anita
04/17/2007, 09:20 AM
VX Run poll added to the top of thread

biju
04/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks Anita!

Attending the run? Please indicate so up top so we have a head count. Thanks all...

-beej.

BigSwede
04/19/2007, 11:13 AM
Hi guys...apologies if this has been brought up before, but one important thing to remember about Elephant Hill is NO PETS in the backcountry. Not even in the vehicle, once you leave the pavement.

Having said that, it is definitely worth the trip! :_steering

Might even see you there, some of us MWIOR guys are planning an EH trip as well...

nfpgasmask
04/19/2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to leave poor CeCe in the hotel :(

http://www.nofuture.com/dailys/fisheye/cecefe1.jpg

:( :( :( Bart

Hi guys...apologies if this has been brought up before, but one important thing to remember about Elephant Hill is NO PETS in the backcountry. Not even in the vehicle, once you leave the pavement.

Having said that, it is definitely worth the trip! :_steering

Might even see you there, some of us MWIOR guys are planning an EH trip as well...

BigSwede
04/19/2007, 12:29 PM
Yep, I'll be leaving Cinder in the cabin, too... :sadg:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/BigSwede/Cinder11-13-05006.jpg

Locomigo
04/19/2007, 01:13 PM
We were going to bring Bandit this year, but with 5 extra days of exploring, some of those in areas where pets arent allowed, made it rough. Maybe Ill bring him out in November. He will see trails in CO throughout the summer though...

http://trailseeker.com/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4046&g2_serialNumber=1

biju
04/25/2007, 09:19 AM
*bump diddly bump*

Please indicate at the poll up top ^ if you're attending the VX Run on Tuesday.

Thanks.

-biju.

tomdietrying
04/25/2007, 12:20 PM
VX Run is almost here. I can't wait!

Here is an article about Elephant Hill written by Todd Addams. I thought I would share it with you. Enjoy.

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/ut/elephanthill/

I promise if you do this run you will have so much fun. I hope to see you there.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
04/25/2007, 04:12 PM
VX Run is almost here. I can't wait!

Here is an article about Elephant Hill written by Todd Addams. I thought I would share it with you. Enjoy.

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/ut/elephanthill/

I promise if you do this run you will have so much fun. I hope to see you there.

Peace.
Tom

Thanks for posting that Tom, I'm in the same boat...chompin' at the bit to get to Moab. :cool:

nfpgasmask
05/07/2007, 12:18 PM
Hey, I just had a few thoughts:

1) Has everyone filled out the survey up top? So far we have 13 confirmed but I think there are more.

2) Is there a DIY car wash in Moab somewhere? I have a feeling I am going to be completely covered in bug juice by the time I get across 2 states and I just can't go to a VX meetup with my ebony shining!

3) I bought a hand held Cobra CB today. I hope it does the trick.

4) As for fine dining, what is the best spot in Moab? I'm gonna take the wife somewhere on Sunday (our 6th year anniversary).

Thanks - Bart

Kenny
05/07/2007, 12:28 PM
Hey, I just had a few thoughts:

1) Has everyone filled out the survey up top? So far we have 13 confirmed but I think there are more.

2) Is there a DIY car wash in Moab somewhere? I have a feeling I am going to be completely covered in bug juice by the time I get across 2 states and I just can't go to a VX meetup with my ebony shining!

3) I bought a hand held Cobra CB today. I hope it does the trick.

4) As for fine dining, what is the best spot in Moab? I'm gonna take the wife somewhere on Sunday (our 6th year anniversary).

Thanks - Bart

2) There was a $0.25 wand wash in the middle of Town (west side of the street on the main drag).

3) Did you get an antenna too? It couldn't hurt...

4) Fine dinning? Moab? offroaders? and mountain bikers?? :p The Moab Brewery had good food...

C-ya soon!

biju
05/07/2007, 12:30 PM
Is there a DIY car wash in Moab somewhere? I have a feeling I am going to be completely covered in bug juice by the time I get across 2 states and I just can't go to a VX meetup with my ebony shining!

I bought a hand held Cobra CB today. I hope it does the trick.

4) As for fine dining, what is the best spot in Moab?
there WILL be a full inspection for cleanliness upon arrival. expectations are high. :p :p :p :p :p (kidding. sort of. ha!)

Your CB handheld will work just fine. I also have just a handheld CB.

Eats? Hmmm... all kinds of good stuff. Not sure about 'fine' dining tho.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
05/07/2007, 01:01 PM
Cool, thanks guys. The Gonzo Inn site has a couple nice places on their links page so I will try one of those I think.

Thanks!

Bart

Scott Harness
05/07/2007, 03:49 PM
Pasta Jay's is my favorite place in Moab. Great food, not fine dining though. probably upper middle atmosphere, for Moab

PHO2GR4
05/07/2007, 03:51 PM
No dogs?

WTF?

This is 2007! Not Stalinist Russia! Bastards...

I've got my two pups with me. I guess I'm screwed.

Oh well. I'll see you guys at Mickey D's, at least! I'll take photos from the road, if I can't go into the backcountry.

nfpgasmask
05/08/2007, 08:06 AM
:mad: That's what I said. Are you camping the whole time? You might consider getting a hotel for a couple nights. That is what I am doing and my pooch is gonna hafta stay in the hotel room on Tuesday. She isn't going to be happy, but....she will be ok. I guess it depends on the dog(s). My dog will just sleep on the bed the whole day.

The whole "no dogs" thing really chaps my @$$. I wish they would just say, "we don't want people to step in dog poo" instead of "it disturbs native wildlife". I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that dogs disturb the wildlife more than hundreds of people and loud 4x4 vehicles. Its just soo stupid and I will never understand it. If dogs are prohibited to protect wildlife, then people should not be allowed either. Its just freakin backwards logic to me. But then again, what do I know...

Bart

No dogs?

WTF?

This is 2007! Not Stalinist Russia! Bastards...

I've got my two pups with me. I guess I'm screwed.

Oh well. I'll see you guys at Mickey D's, at least! I'll take photos from the road, if I can't go into the backcountry.

biju
05/11/2007, 02:59 PM
Small change in plans folks.

We won't be stopping at newspaper rock on the way to Elephant Hill. Instead, we'll be meeting Tom at the park's visitor's center.

For those who wish to visit Newspaper rock can do so on the way out of the park when we head back to Moab. Sound good?

See you all soon.

-biju.

nocturnalVX
05/11/2007, 05:29 PM
Sounds cool to me! Can't wait to meet everybody... and see some old friends!
:dance: