PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Remote

CrnCnn
01/24/2007, 07:47 PM
I was thinking about buying a new remote for the VX, since I didn’t get one with it. I was wondering how much any of you use yours. Does it work as an alarm or just entry? I would like a remote start, I may just wait and get the alarm with both keyless entry and remote start.

Thanks

djkymar
01/24/2007, 07:57 PM
i bout mine VX with otu remove control also but i new it has alarm system so i went to one shop who work with car alarms and everything and i bout there my remove control it has 2 buttoms and it said ISUZU on it also work great. Cost me 50 bucks

JULIAN911
01/24/2007, 08:09 PM
I have an aftermarket alarm with remote start and remote rear door opener as well... love it! You'll need Tone's door popper.

WILLY
01/25/2007, 01:18 AM
OMG :_brickwal :_thinking

CrnCnn
01/25/2007, 05:16 AM
OMG :_brickwal :_thinking

The problem is?

etlsport
01/25/2007, 05:58 AM
the stock is a keyless entry and a basic alarm, it only goes off when the front doors are opened, its very easy to tie the back door and hood into it though, but say someone breaks your window... wont go off... picks your lock... wont go off until they open the door.. ive heard that once its set off you cant start the vx until you reset the alarm via remote, but have never tested that

VehiGAZ
01/25/2007, 06:17 AM
I use mine all the time - in fact, I almost never use the key by itself! This is the first vehicle I've owned with such a system, and I like it a lot.

That said, it is not very sophisticated, as etlsport was getting at. If you want better security and remote start, then you should go with a good aftermarket alarm system.

k4tmc
01/25/2007, 06:22 AM
How easy is it to install one of the aftermarket units?

Is there one that is easier than others?

I am only interested in front and rear door locks (Tone's popper release), don't need remote engine start.

Henry

VehiGAZ
01/25/2007, 06:43 AM
It's REALLY easy when you have the kids at the alarm shop do it for you!

Seriously, I've never installed an alarm, so I have no idea.

Good luck!!

etlsport
01/25/2007, 06:53 AM
im not sure how much of the stock wiring can be reused.. id guess quite a bit of it (to the pin switches for the doors, the light wires etc)

so it comes down to whether or not you have patience for that kind of thing, running wires gets tedious and youve got to be able to keep track of what wire is what (theyre color coded.. so its not that bad)... bottom line.. yea it takes patience and small fingers.. but very doable for a DIY job

kpaske
01/25/2007, 08:06 AM
If you'd feel comfortable installing a complete stereo system - i.e. removing panels, running wires, installing speakers, maybe drilling into sheet metal, etc. then you'll have no issues installing an alarm system. If any of that sounds like too much to do by yourself, I'd recommend taking it to an auto alarm place - they do this stuff day in and day out and a lot of places give free or discounted installations, so doing it yourself might not really save you much money anyway.

I have an aftermarket alarm with remote start and remote window control. (I also have Tone's popper, but I don't have an extra channel to program it to on my alarm.)

Keyless entry and remote start are features I've had installed (all aftermarket) in my last 3 gas vehicles (the diesel Jetta won't get remote start). Certainly not essential, but VERY handy, IMO, especially in the colder months.

nfpgasmask
01/25/2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I have never inserted my key into either of the side doors. It only gets stuck in the ignition and tailgate. My remote is stock and I *think* it must have a "panic" feature also, because a couple few times I have been working in the garage and my remote got pressed while in my pocket and the alarm went off.

You should be able to find a programmable one on eBay I would think...

Bart

CrnCnn
01/25/2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

I have noticed that with all the threads I've started or read, they sometimes make my decision harder :) . Just because you all make such good points for all sides.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/little_orange_guy_e0.gif