PDA

View Full Version : Car Fax

Mark B
01/23/2007, 05:50 PM
I was hit in the rear of my 99 Amigo last week and did $ 1,000 damage to the rear end. Will this show up on Car Fax? If I sell the car will Car Fax know of the damage. How does an accident get reported to Car Fax.
Can I contact my insurance company and get a settlement if it is reported on Car Fax as a damaged vehicle. I am sure that anyone buying the Amigo in the future will run a Car Fax and see the accident. I will probably get less for the car.
Lots of questions, Thanks for any help.

jacobus
01/23/2007, 09:45 PM
If the accident was written up in a police report and reported to any insurance company, this report is available to Car Fax
Good Luck

VehiGAZ
01/24/2007, 08:04 AM
It won't necessarily show up, though. I have yet to see a carfax report that shows a bodywork repair (but of course I don't know that any car I've run carfax on was in an accident). If the car was so severely damaged that it was totaled out by the insurance company, that should show up as a vehicle with a salvage title. If the car had frame damage, I think that is supposed to show up on a carfax report. There is no "damaged" identifier

Don't worry about Carfax too much - it may be your car's "permanent record" but it is far from exhaustively complete. Plus, as good of an idea as it is to check a used car's history, most people don't want to pay to check it.