PDA

View Full Version : HELP! AARGH!!! TOD going krazy

Jungalbutt
01/20/2007, 01:44 PM
Sup... I have a 99 VXR and I caught a flat a few months back and put on the spare tire and that's when all the fun began. I couldn't drive. From what i could sum up, The TOD kept registering the smaller Spare as a slip and kept going in and out of 4wheel drive with a HARD knocking sound like i was destroying the transmission. At less then 5 miles an hour with tears in my eyes i finally made it to a tire place that fixed the flat and put it back on. Once on, everything was back to normal. And so I thought about it a moment, What's the point of supplying a spare if i cant drive the car with the spare on? but it was fixed so I moved on. Today I got 2 brand spanking new used tires for the front (metal was starting to show lol) But the idiot gave me the wrong size tires. instead of 245/70/16 he put on 245/75/16. Not a big deal i thought. till i drove off and once again the TOD started wilding out. I love TOD but what the hell is up with it? DO i have to change all 4 tires? do they all have to be the same size? Can i turn it off or how do you adjust it? This car is as mysterious as it is beautiful.

Triathlete
01/20/2007, 02:04 PM
If you read your manual you will find that the spare donut is only to be used on the front and at speeds of no more than 45 mph. So if you have a rear flat you need to move the front tire to the rear then put the donut on the front.
As far as tire size...yes you should replace all 4 at the same time...and yes all 4 should be the same size. If not your TOD registers it as slipage and will continue to try and compensate.
TOD can be turned off by pulling the TOD fuse.

Jungalbutt
01/20/2007, 02:23 PM
YOU!!! are the man.. thanks yo i hadn't thought of the fuse.
it was the driver side rear. Wow... so if i catch a flat in the rear i gotta take off two wheels... well that's some fine print for ya lol. " Incidently, if one of your rear tire should go flat, you'll have to remove it but you cannot use the spare given... you'll have to remove one of the front tires and switch it to the back and place the spare up front. But we're only supplying you with one jack. enjoy".
So basically, I'd have to take the flat off and put the spare on. Then take a front wheel off and put the flat there. and then take off the spare and put the front tire there. and then take off the flat... again and put the spare there- up front. Wow.

Triathlete
01/20/2007, 02:48 PM
Or....buy a full size spare!

Jungalbutt
01/20/2007, 02:58 PM
LOL ... well that's just entirely way too convenient.

nbvolks
01/20/2007, 02:58 PM
You're never supposed to put a mini-spare on the drive wheels of any car. In the case of the VX, that's normally the rears. But even if you got a flat on one of the front tires of a Honda Accord, you're still supposed to bring one of the normal size rears forward and put the weenie-wheel on the rear.

Jungalbutt
01/20/2007, 03:13 PM
Well that's interesting. Didn't know that. American cars included? Cause i had a camaro before the VX and i'd ride that spare for days before finally changing it. lol

Ldub
01/20/2007, 03:18 PM
Well that's interesting. Didn't know that. American cars included? Cause i had a camaro before the VX and i'd ride that spare for days before finally changing it. lol

It's best not to ever have a mini spare on a front axle, as they're more prone to failure, which is known to have a slightly negative effect on vehicular stability. :p

Jungalbutt
01/20/2007, 03:48 PM
Gotcha. Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

uncle_asa
01/20/2007, 09:13 PM
So basically, I'd have to take the flat off and put the spare on. Then take a front wheel off and put the flat there. and then take off the spare and put the front tire there. and then take off the flat... again and put the spare there- up front. Wow.
Little optimization: replace front wheel with the spare first and then put good wheel instead of flat :)

cyronman
01/21/2007, 01:22 AM
Little optimization: replace front wheel with the spare first and then put good wheel instead of flat :)

asa-
beat me to it!

I haven't thought about this yet since getting my VX, but is the stock spare the only thing that will fit in the spare holder?
If not, anyone know what the biggest spare you can fit in there?

Dumke
01/21/2007, 05:32 AM
asa-
beat me to it!

I haven't thought about this yet since getting my VX, but is the stock spare the only thing that will fit in the spare holder?

To add for those of you that do keep a full size spare if it doesnt fit in spare tire compartment then where do u keep it? That is if your using as a daily driver.

edit: sentence structure.

Ldub
01/21/2007, 08:52 AM
Sorry Jungalbutt, but it looks like your thread is getting jacked, (that's odd...I don't recall THAT ever happening before... :rolleyes: ) since your original question was answered, I hope you don't mind.
Most here, who use a full size spare, carry it on a roof rack. Kenny has his laying flat in the cargo area, with a contoured box fabbed up around it that looks pretty slick.
I don't know what the biggest tire you could fit in the door is, but doubt it would be much bigger than the stock mini doughnut.
When the spare is moved elsewhere, you can fit all manner of seldom used stuff back there...12-volt air compressor, jumper cables, off road creeper (drop cloth), MRE's, xtra parts, antifreeze...what ever your imagination & space will allow. :cool:

uncle_asa
01/21/2007, 09:53 AM
I'd not recommend to fit full size spare on the door because of weight. I believe the door hinge will crank or curve quickly.

Dumke
01/21/2007, 12:43 PM
Sorry Jungalbutt, but it looks like your thread is getting jacked,........ I hope you don't mind........
Most here, who use a full size spare, carry it on a roof rack. Kenny has his laying flat in the cargo area, with a contoured box fabbed up around it that looks pretty slick.

yes sorry to jack thread and hope u dont mind but I didnt want to make a new one I guess I could but most of my questions so far have been asnwered just one last one tho.

Ok here is problem I would be afraid with being a daily driver taht someone would jack my tire from roof rack liek we some how have jacked this thread... Ok bad analogy. Anyways thast my biggest fear so any way to make it a lil more secure or is that risk we run doing it that way? I know crime is different in different places but if used as ur daily driver do you keep spare on roof rakck when going to and from work. Also if so and have a better way to secure it how? As to deter theft some what.

edit: had to fix quote

Ldub
01/21/2007, 01:38 PM
I had two bolts that went through the luggage rack, up through two opposing lug nut holes...I drilled a hole in the end of one of the bolts, large enough to get a padlock through.
This setup was a TOTAL p.i.t.a. to un-do & remove, so I went back to the drawing board & re-invented it.

Now I have a gigantic 1 1/8" bolt with a 2" threaded section of 5/8" bolt welded to the head, that goes through the center section of the rack. (held on w/ a large washer / nylock nut)
This protrudes up through the center of the spare & is held down by an extra large washer I made out of 1/8" steel daimond plate, a large fender washer, lock washer, & mondo-gigantico wing nut I had fabricated by welding two 8" long pieces of 1/2" steel rod to opposing sides of a 1 1/8" nut.
I had a loop welded on one end that I run a chain through, then down through the spokes, under the luggage rack, & back up through the spokes with a larger lock holding the whole works together.

If they want my spare, they're gonna have to work on it awhile & destroy some stuff to get it. (unless they have a bolt cutter or mini grinder :rolleyes: )

Doesn't matter what you do, if someone wants something of yours, & is the type of good-fer-nuthin' P.O.S. that would rather steal than work, they'll probably get it...unfortunate, but true.

nbvolks
01/22/2007, 08:22 PM
yes sorry to jack thread and hope u dont mind but I didnt want to make a new one I guess I could but most of my questions so far have been asnwered just one last one tho.

Ok here is problem I would be afraid with being a daily driver taht someone would jack my tire from roof rack liek we some how have jacked this thread... Ok bad analogy. Anyways thast my biggest fear so any way to make it a lil more secure or is that risk we run doing it that way? I know crime is different in different places but if used as ur daily driver do you keep spare on roof rakck when going to and from work. Also if so and have a better way to secure it how? As to deter theft some what.

edit: had to fix quote

You could go the way lDub mentioned, or a more ghetto way of just using a chain and padlock to secure it.

Or... just use some cans of fix a flat, or if it's really that bad, use the mini spare. I mean honestly, how often are you getting flats, and if it's a daily driver you're probably not commuting in the desert somewhere, so you have ready access to tire shops for repairs and such. Though remember to tell the tire guy that you put in the fix-a-flat. They get kinda pissed when you don't.

cyronman
01/22/2007, 08:25 PM
Sorry Jungalbutt, but it looks like your thread is getting jacked, (that's odd...I don't recall THAT ever happening before... :rolleyes: ) since your original question was answered, I hope you don't mind.

oops, sorry, thanks
;)

I don't know what the biggest tire you could fit in the door is, but doubt it would be much bigger than the stock mini doughnut.
When the spare is moved elsewhere, you can fit all manner of seldom used stuff back there...12-volt air compressor, jumper cables, off road creeper (drop cloth), MRE's, xtra parts, antifreeze...what ever your imagination & space will allow. :cool:

yeah, I thought just by looking at it that it wouldn't hold much of a spare. I guess jumper cabes and other emergency gear will be going back there. As for MREs...;puke: (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=17#)