PDA

View Full Version : Air won't blow

kobie
01/19/2007, 08:10 PM
Lately my 2001 VX won't blow air from the air condition or the heater whether it s on the hi or low settings or on auto. This would happen occasionally when I'd try to switch it on while driving but now my air won't blow. I hear a click as if something has engaged but no air blows out. When the vent is open hot air or cold air will blow through at the temperature I set. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this?

djkymar
01/19/2007, 09:04 PM
most likely vent motor broke i had exacly same problem on my 99 VX, dealer fix it under warranty

Ldub
01/20/2007, 06:46 AM
Probably a long shot but,...check the fuse ?

99VX4x4
01/21/2007, 05:16 PM
your resistor has come unsoldered under the dash just happened to me a few months ago, easy fix if you know what you are doing

kobie
01/21/2007, 09:48 PM
99vx4x4, unfortunately I don't know what I am doing... Today air blew through the vents so this sound like an on an off thing but I can just imagine that it decides not to work on one of our many 100+ degree weather days... so weird...

MIKE TAYLOR
01/22/2007, 03:55 AM
Hi Kobie,
You Might Also Like To Check The Relay In Main Fuse Box Under Hood.
Swap It With The Horn One Just To Test It Out. You Never Know?
Hope You Get It Sorted Soon.
Happy Vxing. Mike

dkmiller68
01/22/2007, 05:28 AM
your resistor has come unsoldered under the dash just happened to me a few months ago, easy fix if you know what you are doing

as he said a couple of posts above this one.

It happened to me too...very maddening it was summer in Atlanta...very hot...really motivated me to fix promptly...it was that resistor had become unsoldered. a search should yield the procedure but it was (as I recall) something like this...remove glove box...remove door to blower motor...remove small box...cut it open (plastic, hack saw works fine)(or maybe it hade a door to remove and no cutting needed)..resolder the lifted metal tab. Made me feel good to save big bucks on a relativly simple fix.

dkmiller68
01/22/2007, 05:34 AM
this may help

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1676&highlight=blower+resistor

kobie
08/06/2008, 10:28 PM
After I posted this issue it went away until 3 weeks ago- probably the very day we got the 100 degree heat in Houston. It turns out my issue was both the blower motor and the resistor. The old blower worked after running the car for over 40 minutes if at all. I got a resistor from a junkyard and the blower would still only work intermitently. I got a new blower motor (Siemens brand that doesn't fit as well as the old one) from Autozone and replaced the old one but also put the old resistor back in and the air conditioning would only work on the highest setting. Coupling the newer resistor and new motor was the only way to get my air conditioning to work on all settings. Here are a few lessons learned from trying to get all this done:
1) Autozone carries the wrong blower motor resistor for a 2001 Vehicross. The resistor, which is special order only, fits only the 1999 and 2000 year models though it is labeled for a 2001. As far as they could research in the store, they don't carry a replacement for the 2001 models.
2) All late model Troopers, Rodeos, Passports and Amigos use the same blower motor resistor as the 1999 and 2000 Vehicross models.
3) From the looks of the 3 prong resistor opened up, it is difficult to tell that the resistor is actually blown. My working and semi-working resistors looked the same when the plastic cover was unveiled. Nothing looks like it needed to be soldered.
4) As an amateur do-it-yourselfer, I found it difficult and awkward to remove the bracket carlymac mentions in the thread linked before this post without totally removing (unscrewing) the glove compartment. Also, the bolts are 10mm and I couldn't get my english tools to remove them. The blower motor was difficult for me to screw into place but, again, I am a novice and a pretty big guy for that tight space.
5) I probably would have been better going to the local dealer (or Merlin) to get my parts or get the work done but they've gotten enough money from me this year and I was trying to fix my air more sooner that later.

So-CalVX
08/07/2008, 07:40 AM
well u guys have your A/C problems, mine's a bit different.
i can turn my A/C on with the slide all the way in the blue (to the coldest setting) with the recirculate on windows up and it being a cool day.... my A/C is HOT air???:confused:???
i don't get it... one of my buddies said i probably had a puncture and all my refridgerant leaked out, and it cant cool without that, i know that much.