PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheels? License Plate Frame

Techy-D
01/19/2007, 02:13 PM
I've seen some comments about the Chrome peeling on some wheels. I was looking at mine and they appear to be all Aluminum. I can see where they were chewed up by tire weights, and there appears to be no change from surface to inside. Did I miss something?

Also, when I got my rig there were those hoakey advertising License Plate frames on them from the car lot. I had to turn them upside down, when I got my new plates, because our tags are on the bottom and the cutouts were on the top (Kinda feels good anway cuz it makes their advertizing look stupid!) They probably threw out the originals, so they could put theirs on there. Question: What were the original ones like? I looked at many pictures, but most either don't have one or I they were all different.

2K1 1K2
01/19/2007, 02:43 PM
i believe none of the '99s were offered with the 18" chrome rims.

re: license plate frames - only the dealers were included with the sale.

you can get a plain frame from any auto supply store.

-jose

ZEUS
01/19/2007, 03:02 PM
The '99's had chrome plated aluminum 16" rims while the later years had 18" chrome aluminums. I didn't like the chrome look on my rig and some others don't like the chrome either. It is easy to swap to 16" Trooper wheels of the same style minus the chrome. You may have those on there.

nfpgasmask
01/19/2007, 03:03 PM
Peeling chrome looks like this:

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/rims/rims9.jpg

Bart

Techy-D
01/19/2007, 03:05 PM
i believe none of the '99s were offered with the 18" chrome rims.

re: license plate frames - only the dealers were included with the sale.

you can get a plain frame from any auto supply store.

-jose

Ahh, if that's the case, that would explain why my 16" rims don't appear to be chromed (Well they do look nice and shiney, but don't appear to be chrome).

Yeah, about the plate frame, I can find something, just wondering what the originals had, or if there was writing on them or ... Enquiring minds want to know!

Techy-D
01/19/2007, 03:10 PM
The '99's had chrome plated aluminum 16" rims while the later years had 18" chrome aluminums. I didn't like the chrome look on my rig and some others don't like the chrome either. It is easy to swap to 16" Trooper wheels of the same style minus the chrome. You may have those on there.

Now I'm curious, I'll have to look again.

Gasmask - Thanks for the picture (They're worth a thousands words you know) :p Now I know what people were talking about (I'd complain also!)

2K1 1K2
01/19/2007, 04:00 PM
here's a chrome frame from the vx.info gear store. not sure if you've seen this before.

http://www.cafepress.com/vxinfo_gear.21705959

-jose

IndianaVX
01/20/2007, 04:40 PM
speaking of chrome wheels peeling,
are you guys loosing air in your tires? wondering why you have to check the air every three days???? i now know why!!!!
after waking up on tuesday to a flat, i took the tire,( with the awful yellow spare on my rig) to the tire shop, they aired it up, and checked it, and said no leaks.
24 hrs later, i went from 30 psi, to 13 psi. took it to another tire shop, and they found a leak around the wheel weight. great, i thought. they smeared some tire sealer/tar looking stuff on the weight, dunked it again, still a leak.
soooo, they popped the bead, and lo and behold, looking at where the tire seals against the wheel was peeling chrome.
so, the guy put the tire tar/sealer stuff all around, both sides, and now no more leaks, on THAT tire.
so now, im gonna have him do the other 3, because they all leak too, just ALOT slower, but they still leak
so, just a heads up. been a couple of days, and still at 30 psi.
hope i didnt hijack, but just wanted you to feel better about NOT having chrome wheels

david

Techy-D
01/22/2007, 09:35 AM
speaking of chrome wheels peeling,
hope i didnt hijack, but just wanted you to feel better about NOT having chrome wheels

david

More great info, (I don't consider it a Hijack) I took another look at my wheels and I'm still not sure. It doesn't really matter (Unless I start leaking air or chrome starts flying all over the place) Atleast I know what they were talking about. Mine appear to be chrome or nicely polished on the face of the wheels, but look more of a dull (plain old aluminum) inside areas. I'll look'em over better someday, for now they look great.

I've seen several license plate frames, maybe one of them diamondplate models or a black plastic... Dunnow. (By the way, the plate frames on this site have the notches for tags at the top of the frame. Looks like most states have the tags at the top of the plate, while mine are at the bottom).

Ldub
01/22/2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think the 99 rims were chrome, they look like polished aluminium w/ a clear coat to me.