PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to ship tires?

dkmiller68
01/17/2007, 11:53 AM
UPS or Fed Ex or what? I assume just tag 'em good...no packaging needed. Thanks, Don

Y33TREKker
01/17/2007, 12:13 PM
UPS has been satisfactory in the past for me. I haven't checked pricing for both shippers recently, but I'd guess they're both about the same.

Mine have generally come two to a bundle, and were just taped/wrapped together with packing tape with the shipping label near the tread.

Joe_Black
01/17/2007, 12:23 PM
I've received tires from both UPS and FedEx Ground pretty much packaged as above, sometimes singly. The ones I've gotten from Tire Rack just have a label on the outside with some tape wrapped around to protect it. Check both though as FedEx Ground often is significantly less on bulky items than UPS.

johnnyapollo
01/17/2007, 03:21 PM
Check with greyhound - I've shipped large furniture pieces through them - you have to drop them at the station and the recepient has to pick them up, but the cost is fairly cheap - they place the items in the luggage if there's room.

-- John

dkmiller68
01/17/2007, 04:14 PM
the reason I asked is that I am going to put some tires on ebay...here's what I found out...

Fed Ex Ground shipping calculator is here...

http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&link=1&lid=//Ship//Pack+Rates+Corp

4 CONTINENTAL 275-70-18 10 PLY TIRES. load range E

my zip is 28754 weight is 55 #s size is 33 X 33 X 11 inches. To a zip of 99*** it came up with $44 each tire and to zip 100** it is $20 each. You can pick them up for free (Mars Hill, NC) if you are able. I checked prices if I bundle 2 tires together…price was more than double single tire price so, 4 single “packages”.