PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity

Ascinder
01/17/2007, 07:38 AM
Assuming I already had the supercharger the VX uses, what else do I need to install it? Is there a place to get these excess parts i need, and do I need to do anything with the ECU? The reason I ask is because a friend of a friends speed shop is possibly going out of business and I might be able to get one at below cost.....

johnnyapollo
01/17/2007, 07:59 AM
There's a list in a thread somewhere - I copied the following from it:

Gasket, Intake manifold Isuzu P/N: 8-97237-538-0 list for $18.88 ea (need 2)
Fuel Injector O-Rings 'Gasket; Injector', P/N 8-17113-400 $14.00 bag w/ 16 o-rings

Some other stuff to consider:
Get thermostat and gasket, and serp belt also.
Auto Zone 4060895 / 6PK2275 Goodyear Gatorback). $34.99 + (6PK2288)
Replacing the above while you have everything apart may be a good idea.

St. Charles Isuzu
1-800-727-8066

5 lb pulley (from Alpine - if you want to go ahead and upgrade for more boost)
Older kits are missing the CARB sticker, longer Cruise cable and cruise bracket. Also older kits have the cast nose for the top pulley, instead of the machined aluminum one (I'm not sure if the new kits have this or if it's an upgrade).
Tone can get you the Alpine bits.

The ECU "adapts" so you don't have to do anything specifically to it - some have attempted some tuning but it's not necessary right "out of the gate."

-- John

Vfrider1
01/17/2007, 08:00 AM
I will ask the question... ;)

How much for the Supercharger and can I get in on this deal???? :p

Joe_Black
01/17/2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.alpine-developments.us/Isuzu%20Super%20installed.JPG

Included in this kit

· Eaton M62 supercharger

· Cast aluminium inlet manifold

· Cast aluminium inlet adaptor

· 5psi supercharger pulley

· Tensioner pulley and support plate

· All necessary plumbing and hardware for complete install

US $3190

Here's the link: Alpine SuperCharger Kit (http://www.alpine-developments.us/isuzu35v6sc.html)

etlsport
01/17/2007, 10:25 AM
...good to have ya back joe

Ascinder
01/17/2007, 12:57 PM
So does the kit have a special manifold or is it a modded stock manifold? I also saw what looks like the adapter on the back, is that a total aftermarket part or did it come off of something?And what does the adapter do besides turn the intake 90 degrees? I am kind of trying to find out that if I already had the supercharger itself, what the remainder of the cost would be. As a side note, the shop has only 1 working supercharger up for grabs, all the rest are(were) going to be rebuilt, and I got dibs on the 1, sorry.

Ldub
01/17/2007, 02:13 PM
The Alpine kit comes with a cast intake manifold specific to the supercharger.

Ascinder
01/17/2007, 03:46 PM
OK, so does anyone know if Tone sells that part seperate or is it something I can fab up out of carbon? I mean we are only talking about a measly 5 psi here. I saw a guy fab up a complete intake manifold out of carbon for a turbocharged subaru H6 he was going to use on a plane. At 5psi + around 14-15psi atmospheric pressure, it seems doable, or does the cast adapter do something or have something in it that is special to it alone?

Joe_Black
01/17/2007, 03:58 PM
Not only does the intake need good sealing surfaces, i.e. machined, for the head and blower it also receives the fuel injectors. So you'll need to machine the proper angle, depth and fitment for the injectors into an intake you fab yourself.

Ascinder
01/17/2007, 04:11 PM
That's why I was wondering if it was just a stock intake used (injector ports already machined) that was modified to seat the blower on top. It's seems to me this would be easier to do (if possible) than casting a complete custom intake from scratch.

nfpgasmask
01/17/2007, 04:44 PM
Here! Here!

:_beer:

And don't you ever do that again Mister! ;)

Bart

...good to have ya back joe

nfpgasmask
01/17/2007, 04:48 PM
...take me for a ride in your IronMan once you get the SC installed. I am curious to know just how much faster it really goes...

Bart

Ruflyf
01/17/2007, 05:07 PM
Not sure if that pic is up to date or not, but as of yesterday Alpine told me that on the new kits the EGR valve is not connected to any piping, its only plugged into the electrical plug to satisfy the comp.

I have just converted mine to the new system running with no EGR and so far it seems to be doing fine. I am gonna watch my fuel economy and see if it changes. Hope it all works out, sounds like I might finally be free of the cursed 22mm nut. Eventually I might try to pin out the EGR and see which wires the comp is looking for so I can just remove the EGR completely and wire the plug with the required resistors or whatever it may need.

WormGod
01/18/2007, 08:35 AM
....a measly 5 psi....

Um.... you realise, the transmission needs to keep up with all this added power, right? 5 is actually "friendly" on the tranny. Toy with that pully size and you could be asking for trouble. Careful.

Ascinder
01/18/2007, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascinder
....a measly 5 psi....

Um.... you realise, the transmission needs to keep up with all this added power, right? 5 is actually "friendly" on the tranny. Toy with that pully size and you could be asking for trouble. Careful.

By a measly 5psi, I meant that the carbon manifold could take it with no problem. I fully intend to use only a 5psi pulley and in no way want to blow up my VX. If anything since this will be a cobbled together franken-charger, I am planning on start off with a blow off valve set at maybe a psi or two, then dial it up to five tops.