PDA

View Full Version : Oh Deer

Beavertractors
01/17/2007, 02:28 AM
:( My wife hit a deer..Not much damage, Just the grille,front cladding,headlight,right fender,inner bumper,radiator support some paint and straighting..The Insurance adjuster said about $1,900.. :confused: The body shop said they could get the parts in a few days??I asked them if they ever saw a VX before. They said no..The estimate says they could use none oem parts. ;) as if there are any?They have a new headlight listed for $300. Grille and cladding about $300 not sure about fender and radiator support.The body shop said they will call when they have all the parts.I gave them Merlins number just in case they have trouble finding the parts. Tony B

Ldub
01/17/2007, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear about that, apperently deer have an unusually high attraction to VX's...what is this?, the third or fourth VX/deer incedent this winter...

They ought to have a season where men dressed in orange form small assasination squads & bring large domestic 4W-D vehicles & guns & dogs &...

WHAt?...they do that already ?...Well they should make the season longer...
Like eleven months out of twelve... :mad:

ZEUS
01/17/2007, 06:38 AM
Ouch, that sucks to hear! Hopefully your experience doesn't turn into what it has turned into for most others after something like this...

WormGod
01/17/2007, 07:43 AM
Tell the shop to get the parts from St. Charles ISUZU, heh. I think those guys have a little shop of elves that are actually making these parts because they ALWAYS have everything in stock, and they are the cheapest out there.

johnnyapollo
01/17/2007, 08:03 AM
Actually most of the parts from St Charles comes directly from the Isuzu warehouses - drop shipped to your location. They only stock some of the basic maintenance parts like oil and fuel filters, etc. I've talked to Merlin a bit on the phone about it.

-- John

nfpgasmask
01/17/2007, 09:07 AM
They ought to have a season where men dressed in orange form small assasination squads & bring large domestic 4W-D vehicles & guns & dogs &...

WHAt?...they do that already ?...Well they should make the season longer...
Like eleven months out of twelve... :mad:

Or we could just go back in time and see to it that mankind doesn't kill/drive out all of the deers' natural predators, and cram all the remaining deer into smaller plots of land so that in the future their populations run rampant and literally spew from the few remaining forestlands in the United States...

So, come on Ldub, you know full well hunting is not the answer and deer are not the problem. We are. :) :eek: :p

Anyway, sorry to hear about the VX and the deer. That totally sucks. I remember once I was camping in Northern Michigan in the fall, and you literally had to drive 20 mph with your brights on, there were so many deer you could see eyes glowing all over the forrest at night...

Bart

Mark Miller
01/17/2007, 12:06 PM
I feel your pain.... :(
My VX got totaled via deer suicide.

Techy-D
01/17/2007, 01:10 PM
apperently deer have an unusually high attraction to VX's...what is this?, the third or fourth VX/deer incedent this winter...
Those JERKEYs, STEAKin out their teritory... :rolleyes:

Oh and sorry to hear about the accident.

kpaske
01/17/2007, 01:31 PM
Or we could just go back in time and see to it that mankind doesn't kill/drive out all of the deers' natural predators, and cram all the remaining deer into smaller plots of land so that in the future their populations run rampant and literally spew from the few remaining forestlands in the United States...

So, come on Ldub, you know full well hunting is not the answer and deer are not the problem. We are. :) :eek: :pSheesh! One thread about BioDiesel and we're overrun with environmentalists... ;)

etlsport
01/17/2007, 01:39 PM
not me.. theres one less deer to run into a VX in my freezer right now!... however in my defense i recycle and take public transportation whenever possible!

kpaske
01/17/2007, 01:50 PM
The way I see it, deer are renewable resources. Mmmm good eatin. :p

Ldub
01/17/2007, 03:39 PM

So, come on Ldub, you know full well hunting is not the answer and deer are not the problem. We are. :) :eek: :p
Bart

Yeah, I know, humans are bad, American humans are especially bad...been hearin' it from "your kind" ;) :p since the late 60's-early 70's.
Tell ya what, have your buddy algore invent the time machine (shouldn't be a problem for anyone smart enough to marry tipper & invent the internet) & we'll go back & see what we can do.
Careful what ya wish for though...present company excluded (that means anyone reading this), the average urbanite wouldn't know wether to $pIT or wind his watch if he ever did see an apex predator in his or her back yard. :freek:
Also, this should only be taken as humorus, not an attack on anyone's particular belief or, God forbid, feelings. :rolleyes:

kpaske
01/17/2007, 04:03 PM
Careful what ya wish for though...present company excluded (that means anyone reading this), the average urbanite wouldn't know wether to $pIT or wind his watch if he ever did see an apex predator in his or her back yard. :freek:If I found a Lake Trout or Smallmouth Bass in *MY* back yard, I'd fire up the barbie!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apex_Predators

Ldub
01/17/2007, 04:23 PM
If I found a Lake Trout or Smallmouth Bass in *MY* back yard, I'd fire up the barbie!!!

LOL, that's quite a list, most everything BUT wolves. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
01/17/2007, 04:38 PM
Well, you know I am far from a complete tree hugger, but sometimes it just annoys me when people say "There are too many damn deer!". When in my mind, there are really just too many damn people! I'm sure you know what I mean! ;)

I once had some home made deer jerky. Man, it was the best jerky I have EVER had.

Bart

PS - Funny about the biodiesel. After that thread I was watching PBS a couple nights later, and they had a whole show about Willie and his "Bio Willie" project...

Yeah, I know, humans are bad, American humans are especially bad...been hearin' it from "your kind" ;) :p since the late 60's-early 70's.
Tell ya what, have your buddy algore invent the time machine (shouldn't be a problem for anyone smart enough to marry tipper & invent the internet) & we'll go back & see what we can do.
Careful what ya wish for though...present company excluded (that means anyone reading this), the average urbanite wouldn't know wether to $pIT or wind his watch if he ever did see an apex predator in his or her back yard. :freek:
Also, this should only be taken as humorus, not an attack on anyone's particular belief or, God forbid, feelings. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
01/17/2007, 04:42 PM
Don't forget about SnakeHeads!! One of the toughest freshies out there! Eats everything in sight!

http://www.carpecarpio.com/francoissnakeheadpic504.jpg

:) Bart

If I found a Lake Trout or Smallmouth Bass in *MY* back yard, I'd fire up the barbie!!!

Joe Isuzu
01/17/2007, 05:14 PM
Actually Bart, you're not alone on this. It's hard to blame deer, foxes, moose or any other wild anmial for these kind of accidents when there really is less and less space for them to live, and while some of you may not care, I personally don't wish to see any more animals go extinct thanks to us
Now, back to the original thread, if any of your damaged parts are not VX specific, then yes, there may be some aftermarket parts out there, but shoot, half of these forums talk about aftermarket shocks, exhaust systems, lift kits, etc
so if the warranty is the same as OEM and the shop doesn't see an issue, you should be ok, there are also some states that mandate the use of AM parts when available,
remember, the shop won't put anything on your car that makes it look like crap as their name and rep is riding on you being happy with the repair too
hope this helps!

Beavertractors
01/17/2007, 06:07 PM
I got to look at my VX in the daylight.Not so bad the pass fender is pushed back a few inches and the headlight is loose The grille looks fine and the cladding seems ok, just pushed in. Whatever they replace I am keeping for next deer suicide..................Oh No! :eek: We have a rental car.Santurn Ion My wife likes it! "Its so smooth and comfortable not like the VX" I hate to admit i,t but it is.I have the bad feeling that She is leaning towards a smooth comfortable sporty car again!!HELP, We will keep the VX-AKA Deer killer.Maybe I can talk her into a couple year old Volvo R series wagon or sedan maybe a turbo bug?With the flower in the cup holder :eek: ..............................We really should do somthing about this deer problem in my area,the hunting season is way to short..... :rolleyes: .Maybe we can make the treehugers happy by catching as many deer as possible and spay and neuter them??..Instead of deer jerky we could have deer Rocky Mt. oysters?(boiled in Bioddiesel) :p Mmm Good..... It seems like there are more deer than before. I saw at least a 12-15 deer just today on back roads and highways, and I only drove about 100 miles today. Tony B

crager34
01/17/2007, 07:41 PM
Get a gun and save your VX's!! :o

hehehe

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Hope you back driving the coolest car in the world soon.

kpaske
01/18/2007, 08:52 AM
You're right about that people problem, Bart. We should definitely look at ways to slow the rampant infestation of humans on this planet. They're killing off all the other species!

I say that jokingly, but it's true. I mean, if any other species does the same thing, we call it a "pest" and try to control or eliminate its population. :eek:

It would be nice if there were much larger patches of contiguous forest for the furry creatures to roam, wouldn't it?

Chopper
01/18/2007, 02:54 PM
[
remember, the shop won't put anything on your car that makes it look like crap as their name and rep is riding on you being happy with the repair too
hope this helps![/QUOTE]
Man! I can tell you're not in this business...you should see some of the stuff done by others, we've had to redo. More like ...remember, they will scrimp,cut corners, and use the cheapest materials and supplies they can. Particularly if it is an insurance reccommended shop. Very very few shops even attempt a homerun repair; shop around, it's your right. Hint: good shops usually have a fairly long waiting list, and want to show you around; show you different repairs in progress; show you the paint room etc.. We've a 30 or 40 day wait now, and this is slow season for us.

Joe Isuzu
01/18/2007, 07:12 PM
I understand your point Chopper and obviously by the way you write you must own/work for a body shop yourself so I bow to your experience on this, let's just say I was assuming a reputable shop was the choice for the repairs being mentioned here, most of the people (all?) on this site are picky/obsessive of their VX so I didn't think a budget repair shop was being considered
and yes, I got what you meant about sometimes it doesn't matter but it's reasonable that a long-standing shop with a good rep would have a less likely chance of doing a crummy job, fair statement?

Beavertractors
01/19/2007, 03:06 AM
Your right about body shops.I have delt with many shops over the years. The one I choose is the best (most expensive-nice shop around here).I have seen their work before ,first class. I don't think anybody makes aftermarket fenders and cladding,headlights? anyway. Tony B

Beavertractors
01/26/2007, 02:48 PM
:) Update on my VX spoke to body shop guy. :eek: Front cladding backorderd for at least 2 months,They are calling Merlin maybe he can help? head light is coming from RPW headlamps (recondtioned) Grille and other stuff coming from Isuzu.They might have to use my old cladding(not really that bad)Fender is to be repaired......They gave me the number to RPW headlamps 800-336-4028 They said they have headlights for the VX around $300?? Tony B

Chopper
01/26/2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, they came up as natl. backorder when I checked for you today. Isuzu didn't offer a timeframe... yes, new lights are like $275 each and still available. And yes,my address is Flagler Collision, in beautiful Palm Coast Florida. Wayne

Beavertractors
02/09/2007, 02:30 AM
:) My VX is done. Only about 23 days.. Cladding came in.They did a very nice job.They were ready to put the old cladding on,when the new one happened to show up.. :confused: (magic??)I know they called Merlin,not sure if he had anything to do with it??..All the parts lined up nice and the paint seems to match very well.They also detailed the car.It looks as good as when we bought it..I have to stop by the shop with my pickup to get all the old parts.I will probably save them for my next deer event...Tony B

thedutchguy
02/09/2007, 03:44 AM
:)I have to stop by the shop with my pickup to get all the old parts.I will probably save them for my next deer event...Tony B

I see....................you're a born optimist. :)