PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Conversion

Wannabe
01/15/2007, 05:28 PM
Desperately need to convert a VX speedo to Kilomters per hour for export of VX to Canada. Cannot find any info on web to help. KPH Speedo is mandatory for importation in Canada where VX was never sold.
Help!!

Kenny
01/15/2007, 05:47 PM
Desperately need to convert a VX speedo to Kilomters per hour for export of VX to Canada. Cannot find any info on web to help. KPH Speedo is mandatory for importation in Canada where VX was never sold.
Help!!

You do NOT need to convert to KPH for import. RIV just expects the vehicle inspector to put a MPH sticker on the speedo face. In the extreme, they may want you to put a few KPH stickers on the gauge face ("50" at 30MPH and "100" at the 60MPH. The dealer who imported mine just shrugged and didn't bother with any stickers as they knew I would peel em off.

However, there is a way to get KPH if you really want it. I installed indiglo gauges that included the KPH under the MPH.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/white_face_1.jpg

PM me if have any other import questions - more Canadians, yay!

Critical import advice:
- get a 2001, as they have the child restraint hooks.
- get a stock VX, no big tires or lift. The VX should match the Federal sticker info on the driver door frame.
- convince them to wire the fog lights as the daytime running lights (replace bulbs with 18W bulbs you would find at a hardware store for the patio lights to make them much much brighter.)

Good luck, eh!

Bee Sting
03/11/2008, 06:29 AM
Just bought a 2001 Proton, giving it a new home in Ottawa. About to go through the RIV process. I have purchased a Trooper speedo pod from a US junk yard and will swap the speedo (with its mph and kph markings) and tach face plates. Carbon fibre look will be lost, but the black will match the fuel and temp gauges.

Zauster
03/19/2008, 06:47 AM
Actually you don't have to loose the carbon fiber look. If you're going through all the effort to tear apart the cluster, just get some numbers cut by a vinyl shop and stick them on - here's what I did (keep in mind, at night you only see mph):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_cluster.jpg