PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dashborad Cover?

k4tmc
01/14/2007, 11:20 AM
Has anyone tried a custom tailored dashboard cover from someone like Coverking?

Usually, these are a piece of color-matched carpet trimmed and cut to fit over the plastic dash, preventing premature cracking due to heat and sun radiation.

Or, is there a better alternative?

I probably would not have even thought of this until later in the year, but it is in the mid 70's here today, very unusual for January!

Henry

Ldub
01/14/2007, 11:41 AM
I put one one on last spring & am generally pleased with it. Fits good, all the cutouts etc lined up perfectly. Can't remember who I ordered it from or how much it was, but I think they're all pretty close price wise.

CrnCnn
01/14/2007, 11:41 AM
I have a dashmat (http://www.dashmat.com) for mine. Ordered it online. fits good

tomdietrying
01/14/2007, 01:32 PM
I dunno, but to me that's like putting a plastic covering over your sofa. Yeah, that may make it last longer, but .................. That's just MOP.
Peace.
Tom

etlsport
01/14/2007, 01:42 PM
im with tom... i just armorall my dash every few weeks to keep it fresh and when its really hot/sunny put a shade in the windshield while im parked

Marlin
12/02/2010, 04:43 AM
I got one of the ones on ebay, fit perfect, the black matches our black pretty well.

circmand
12/02/2010, 06:44 AM
a carpeted dashboard has gone the way of shag carpet in vans. Lasts longer but who cares because you never see it. Keeping it treated has worked for me as long as you use a restorer product not just a cleaner. I have seen decents dash covers that look like the real dash board from JCWhitney catalogue.

RallyDude
12/04/2010, 09:23 PM
I see it not as as a cover to keep your dash from cracking, but to cover a very cracked dash. The carpet looks tacky, but not as tacky as a torn-up dash.

wekilled
12/05/2010, 09:32 AM
Does anyone make them in anything besides carpeting? Like to maybe buy one and cover it with something else a little more aggressive looking. Might take a heat gun and gorilla glue to make it happen.

RallyDude
12/09/2010, 12:30 AM
Maybe try the rubber diamond plate others have used for flooring?

tom4bren
12/09/2010, 04:52 AM
Does anyone make them in anything besides carpeting? Like to maybe buy one and cover it with something else a little more aggressive looking. Might take a heat gun and gorilla glue to make it happen.

Doug,

I've seen a few painted dashboards in my day. It's not a job that I would wanna tackle but if you're going for that 'bad arse, military look' why not consider shooting it with some of that hammered metal paint. If that don't work, I may be able to set you up with some CARC (just kidding).

Tom

circmand
12/09/2010, 07:25 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_4499857_make-fiberglass-dash.html

step by step directions for making a custom fit fiberglass dash borad (if you have the skills)

don moore
12/10/2010, 07:46 AM
i like the dash cover ..no glare and its easy to remove if you want
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3195/medium/DSC03438.JPG

circmand
12/10/2010, 09:31 AM
i like the dash cover ..no glare and its easy to remove if you want
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3195/medium/DSC03438.JPG

It removes easy but I seem to recal velcro fasteners that hold it on do not come off easy and leave terrible stains. Not a fan of the look. And if you want to cut the glare let the dust pile up

wekilled
12/10/2010, 06:14 PM
Was thinking of some diamond plate (upholstery-not matting) that someone had posted earlier a few years ago. I could take the stock piece to either a shoe repair or Korean sew shop and they could sew the other fabric over the top. -- BTW the Korean comment is a complement not derogatory. When I was stationed there, they could fabricate anything and not charge a fortune like Americans. My dress uniforms are still holding together after 12 years.

don moore
12/12/2010, 10:14 PM
It removes easy but I seem to recal velcro fasteners that hold it on do not come off easy and leave terrible stains. Not a fan of the look. And if you want to cut the glare let the dust pile up

i didnt use any thing ..it just stays there...