PDA

View Full Version : OEM Hood Insert

VXNIT
01/13/2007, 05:50 PM
Notice when I bought my VX new that it had a bubble the size of pencil eraser under the flat matte hood insert. Gave her a good bath today an noticed it is a rust bubble and is now cracking through. Any suggestions? Any one had this issue? Any other hood inserts nmade available? Thanks

etlsport
01/13/2007, 06:53 PM
rust bubble? i thought the hood insert was plastic...

johnnyapollo
01/13/2007, 07:46 PM
It's probably one of the steel mounting bolts coming through the back (top) of the hood - that would explain the rust. Check from underneath and see if there's a bolt/nut directly under the spot.

-- John

Joe Isuzu
01/14/2007, 11:09 AM
this is interesting as I always thought the hood insert was plastic as well but when I got my VX I noticed that rust is starting to show it's ugly head on the underbelly of the insert near the windshield, I didn't want to see how bad it was so I haven't messed with it yet

Raque Thomas
01/14/2007, 01:03 PM
The hood insert is made of some form of fiberglass - it is not metal. It is VERY easy for the drian holes to clog which could be why you are seeing rust - as water has become trapped under the insert. Not a very good design really, as you will see that the hood insert can trap a small amount of water even with the drain holes open. If you open your hood and look in the front corners, you'll see two plastic tubes that look like fish tank air line. Those are your drains. It's a good idea to disconnect them and blow air through them regularly to keep them cleaned out. If water pools at the front corners when it rains or when you wash it - they are clogged.

Joe Isuzu
01/14/2007, 02:14 PM
thanks for the info!