PDA

View Full Version : Some tuning getting done...

Cyrk
01/13/2007, 12:29 PM
Well ever since I have had my new dual exhaust tooled up. I have been running really lean and just recently blew out the Dynomax muffler. I switch to a 3 chamber magnaflow XL muffler and have a found a speed shop that is going to do some tuning on it.

We ordered a Walbro fuel pump and a Apex SAFC Neo Fuel Controller. Also going to try some new NGK plugs that shop is recommend over the Denso that I am running. This shop imports Skylines and is big into custom tuning on imports. Nice guys. Check out there site at http://www.lethalinjectiontuning.com/

Also while poking around he found that my valve cover is leaking so going to get that fixed also... then off to topspeed or battlegrounds 4 wheel dyno to get some tuning done. My last Dyno pull at TopSpeed was 225.36 to the wheels.

I am excited to get this work and see if I can get some better numbers down with adding some safety to my motor and getting a smooth fuel curve.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

-Dave

Ldub
01/13/2007, 12:55 PM
Anxious to see what results this will yield...can never have too much power. ;)
Thanks & do keep us posted.

biju
01/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Mmmmmm... power...

-biju.

Ruflyf
01/13/2007, 01:05 PM
Cyrk which NGK plugs did they recommend? I am s/c'd also so it should be the same recommendation(sp?). Have been needing to do my plugs and havent because the denso's are pretty hard to find here.

WormGod
01/15/2007, 07:41 AM
Nice guys. Check out there site at http://www.lethalinjectiontuning.com/

I have heard of these guys on my Subie site. Can't say whether any of it was good or bad, just that some guys use them.

A couple of the tuners around my way that pamper to the WRX are on my To-Talk-To list to see if they are willing to play with the VX some. I would think ANY tuner would love to get a chance to play with something that is rare and 3.5 v6 supercharged, heh.

Keep us updated....

Cyrk
01/16/2007, 12:09 PM
Ruflyf, I am currently running One step cooler plug the Denso Iridium IK20.

The shop is recommending I go with a standard NGK with a step colder. Going to try that and see how it goes. That is what they run on their turbo and SC motors.

Gary, I hope they are good tuners, they seem like a nice bunch of guys... can you point me to where there is some chatter about them on your subie site, I would like to see what is up.

AlaskaVX
01/16/2007, 05:55 PM
I just replaced both my cats last week and believe that "too lean" was my problem as well, I haven't looked into any fuel pumps/controllers yet, but will be here soon. Curious how much they costed and how much dyno time is needed for the tune.

Let me know,
Alan

WormGod
01/17/2007, 07:55 AM
Gary, I hope they are good tuners, they seem like a nice bunch of guys... can you point me to where there is some chatter about them on your subie site, I would like to see what is up.

Tried to do a search for the thread I saw recently about them, but it results in TOO MANY returns, heh. You can visit the SE Region forums ( http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 ) or just do a basic search for LI Injection Tuners or the full name. Most call them LI (not for Long Island :p ).

Cyrk
07/09/2007, 01:14 PM
FINALLY the VX is going to the shop Monday for the some much needed tuning... Hope all goes well.

Hotsauce
07/09/2007, 04:34 PM
I know the SAFC very well. it alters the air meter reading to read higher or lower than actual, to trick the ecu into adjusting the fuel higher or lower. It has e.nough adjustment to blow the engine

I don't think you need more pump, and the walbro is so loud it has the nickname 'whinebro' on other forums. This pump will probably need to have a bigger regulator and larger return line.

I would try first adjusting the fuel pressure higher if you're lean. There is a tamper resistant torx screw in the fpr top. Clockwise is more pressure/righer.

The symtom of not enough pump is being unable to hold consistant fuel pressure under heavy load.

You'll need an EGT if you want to do any real tuning, don't rely on O2 sensor readings alone.

John C.

Cyrk
08/01/2007, 12:14 PM
Well looks like the SAFC will not work on our VXs. Something about MAF and MAS sensors... blah blah blah... Also the shop turned out to be a dud, they have had my car for almost 3 weeks and NOTHING got done (valve cover leak, plugs, ABS Light). Pretty disappointed about the whole ordeal.

I think I might sell her as I am so done with it. I am going to a Jeep dealership to see how much they would give for it on a SRT8.

ARGH... this sucks I have wasted so much time and money on trying to get her to run right. It is not like I have crazy mods for it not to be running right.

I would hate to get rid of it.

JHarris1385
08/01/2007, 12:25 PM
Ill trade you VX's straight up.