PDA

View Full Version : WOW! -55F+Aluminum Rims= 0 psi

Kenny
01/12/2007, 04:19 PM
We're having quite a cold snap here. :(
Did a about 350mi of driving today and on my last stop I walk back to the VX and see the rear tire completely flat - :eek: -. I must have happened after I parked because you could tell it was flat while driving afterwards. Luckily a tire shop was just across the way, so I hobbled over.

It seems to them the aluminum rim didn't like the cold too much and lost the seal along the rim in a big way. They say it's not uncommon, especially after a few years after they were placed on the rim. The bead seal goop breaks down and corrosion - white powdery stuff - accumulates, add super cold temps and "POP!". Well, more like a fast PSSSSSSSssss!.

Well, thought I'd give a heads up to anyone with aluminum rims and having some cold temps, keep an eye out...

Cheers.

Techy-D
01/12/2007, 04:31 PM
Bummer, but yeah, great that you could hobble over and it fixed. I know that cold weather does shrink the volume of air in the tire in the first place, that might also lead to problems.

biju
01/12/2007, 06:35 PM
glad to hear it worked out, Kenny. thanks for the reminder to watch the PSI in this cold snap... will do!

-biju.

kpaske
01/13/2007, 12:55 PM
-55F, huh? Wow!! I don't think any of us in the lower 48 will have to worry about those types of temps, but good to know. And I was complaining when it got down to +20F in my area last night. ;Db; Thanks for the tip!