PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Seat Extension Kit

JHarris1385
01/11/2007, 11:13 AM
Who has it?

How much extra room does it give you.

How easy is it to install.

I think I might buy one today or tommorrow depending on reviews.

Ldub
01/11/2007, 11:23 AM
Tone has them made on a per order basis, I believe.
I don't think it's something he keeps in stock.

JHarris1385
01/11/2007, 11:25 AM
I emailed him 5 minutes prior to making this post.

Ldub
01/11/2007, 11:26 AM
You're Welcome.

creeg
01/11/2007, 11:50 AM
the thing to note is that it causes the seat to sit a couple inches forward, compared to the drivers seat. So if both seats are all the way back, the passenger seat is juts out a bit more.

Im 6'3", so on the rare occasions when Im in the passenger seat, my knees are very close to the dashboard.

kpaske
01/11/2007, 12:19 PM
I have the 4.5" version. The install is simple. It gives you 4.5" of extra room. ;)

I very rarely have tall passengers (in fact, my wife is slightly vertically challenged teehee), so the reduced legroom on the passenger side isn't an issue for me. The increased entry space makes getting kids and baby carriers in and out of the vehicle MUCH quicker and easier, which is worth every penny i paid for them.

creeg
01/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Dont get me wrong: I think its a great addition and Im glad I have it. Just note that it does move the seat up.

JHarris1385
01/11/2007, 12:40 PM
Creeg, intoxication better be your only excuse for letting someone else drive your VX. HAHA

At least thats how it is for me!

Im going to buy one as soon as Tone replies.

creeg
01/11/2007, 12:48 PM
yup, that was the reason. too buzzed. :p

VehiGAZ
01/11/2007, 01:46 PM
I had a set and ended up pulling them out again after a year or so.

Not only do they move the whole seat forward, but they raise it up a little too. Not much - maybe 1/4" - but it was enough for me to notice and enough to make the seat position feel awkward. My wife didn't care, though, and I do most of the driving, so overall it was worth it to improve rear-seat access, since there was virtually no downside for me.

As for installation, mine did not install easily - I had to do a little bending to get them to match up to the seat mounts, and I had to Dremel out the mounting holes to get them to line up with the screw holes in the floor pan. Not so easy. Plus, I still had to do a little pushing and prying to get the bolts in, and that tension ended up breaking one of the seat rails after several months.

They are a great idea, and they do improve back-seat access, but I realized that in that year or so that I had them installed, I only had someone riding in the back about 3 times, so what's the point if it's just the wife and me?

Y33TREKker
01/11/2007, 04:16 PM
At first glance, I thought the post read, "Passenger Seat Ejection Kit" and started to wonder just what exactly JHarris1385 did for a living to require the installation of such a kit.

:)

Tone
01/11/2007, 07:00 PM
You need to put the front bolts in first but leave them loose so you can move the brackets around. The brackets are slotted to account for variances in manufacturing. I actually have 2 sets in stock at the present time along with 3 hitch kits.

cyronman
01/11/2007, 10:20 PM
Tone,

Email sent