PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay Cleaning...

nfpgasmask
01/10/2007, 03:04 PM
Hey all, my engine bay is looking pretty dirty, and I would like to know how some of you go about cleaning under there. Do you take it in to get detailed and have the engine bay cleaned? Blast it with a pressure cleaner at your local car wash?

Let me know, cause I want to spiff it up under there, but I don't want to do any harm.

Bart

Chopper
01/10/2007, 03:23 PM
We detail the engine compartment on every front hit we repair. Use 409, mean green or some such extra strength detergent. With the engine cold, and taking care to avoid the fuse box ( and intake filter-if it has a distributor, wrap it in plastic or foil or just stay away from it) spray everything with the soap. Greasy areas may take more than one shot. Let it sit a few moments, then rinse it all down using a gentle spray from the hose. We've done a few thousand cars this way over the years and never damaged any. Wayne

Cobrajet
01/10/2007, 03:36 PM
I generally clean the engine compartment about twice a year using the same bucket of warm soapy water that I use to wash the VX. I use a tire brush to get into nooks and crannys. Just a light cleaning and then a hose down with the nozzle set on "shower". I do the engine compartment first, then take her for a short drive when I'm done detailing the exterior, to dry it out. I've never had any problem with water in the electronics.

nfpgasmask
01/10/2007, 03:44 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I know the car wash I go to has a setting on their spray gun for engine compartment, I think I will give it a shot next time...

Bart

biju
01/10/2007, 03:54 PM
I take mine in to get detailed - however, after which I clean often by hand probably once a month as not to let the build up get too bad.

You'd be amazed what a large bill every now and again can do for your engine bay with regards to keeping her clean...

-biju.

johnnyapollo
01/11/2007, 09:01 AM
I do something similar - cover the intake and wet down, then dowse with Simple Green - let sit for one minute (be careful with cleaners as prolonged exposure can cloud your aluminum) - wipe around with a wet rag then hose off. Let it sit in the sun for a bit and remove the plastic around the intake. I do the hood liner and spray off the radiator as well. For an added touch, once dry you can take your Endurance saturated rag and wipe down the hoses and black lines - makes them sparkle!

-- John

Triathlete
01/11/2007, 09:06 AM
I don't! :rotate:

nbvolks
01/11/2007, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't use detergents like 409 in the engine bay as it's very harsh on rubber and any electrical components. Simple Green is better, though you have to make sure to thoroughly rinse so as not to etch the metal surfaces (if you care about that). For plastic and rubber pieces use WD-40. It gives the pieces a nice clean finish, and if rubbed off properly will not leave a film like armor-all.

WILLY
01/11/2007, 01:57 PM
I just gently hose it down to get the dust of it,i figure no since in making it look like shiny new seems how i dont go down the road with my hood up to show off my engine. :_brickwal :_steering

nfpgasmask
01/11/2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I'm with you Willy. I am not interested in showing it off, but I would like to keep it clean as part of general maintenance. I am still dripping coolant under there somewhere and I want to clean it up real nice and see if I can identify what is going on...

Bart

I just gently hose it down to get the dust of it,i figure no since in making it look like shiny new seems how i dont go down the road with my hood up to show off my engine. :_brickwal :_steering

VXD959
01/12/2007, 06:50 AM
I usually buy a product called Engine Detailer at AutoZone (two spray bottles: one to clean the engine and the other to dress it). It's good for two applications or so. I have had excellent results with it.