PDA

View Full Version : EGR -where to buy

VR4-Quest
01/02/2007, 10:13 PM
OK, getting CEL codes P1404 and P0402, so I cleaned the EGR valve 4 times now and reset the light, but it comes back on within a few miles of driving, so Im assuming the EGR valve itself is bad. Appears Autozone and Advanced Auto cant get one, any other choice other than the dealer?

Thanks!

johnnyapollo
01/03/2007, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the same as what is on the Trooper:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200058856216

But hopefully someone can verify.

-- John

Ruflyf
01/03/2007, 07:24 AM
Not sure if they are the same or not, I have what seems like recurring problems with air leaking near and around the egr. I usually either get my 22m or my hex driver out and tighten the culprit. I found my locktight for next time it happens.

Although with a trade-in its near future I dont think I'd be spending $150+ for a new one.

Tone
01/03/2007, 11:55 AM
When you cleaned it, did you soak it in carb cleaner and move the plunger (pintle) in and out repeatedly? When I install the SCs, I place the EGR upside down and let the carb cleaner soak in. Did you clean the EGR tube that feeds into the intake manifold? This clogs easily. Remove the throttlebody and look into the intake and you will see the ~3/8" tube that comes from the valve itself. You can clean with a long pipe or aquarium brush and carb cleaner.

VR4-Quest
01/03/2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah Tone I did, all what you said. I even got a Q-tip and swabbed the hole which the pintle moves up and down in, and then in the large hole to clean the shaft portion of the pintle, it is spotless. Even tried lubing up the shaft and pintle head a bit with hi temp grease as a last ditch resort, but believe its just the solenoid itself that is bad. Found a $140 new one at Autozone, put in earlier today and so far the light hasnt come back on, problem solved.
And oh yeah, spending $140 instead of the $300 the dealer was taking of my VX for trade in is well worth it!!! Plus I take pride in owning my vehicles and that they operate correctly, even when getting ride of it!

Ruflyf
01/03/2007, 03:14 PM
And oh yeah, spending $140 instead of the $300 the dealer was taking of my VX for trade in is well worth it!!! Plus I take pride in owning my vehicles and that they operate correctly, even when getting ride of it!

Now why did you have to make it sound like that? Just to set the record straight, I do take great pride in my vx and never implied or intended you to decieve them. I was simply stating usually that stuff is overlooked by dealerships because they want to make a sale. Matter of fact I highly doubt they would scratch the deal you had in place because of a $140 or $300 part. Thats all.