PDA

View Full Version : window lubricant

maxw
01/01/2007, 04:08 PM
The dreaded window slowing is beginning and I fear that with the reluctant moaning the motor is making, that window woes are imminent.
Do you guys recommend any particular lubricant for the windows?
Additionally, 2 other questions :
# has any "official" window fix been decided upon here?
# did anything ever come of our petition efforts?

Many thanks in advance.
Max.

Anita
01/01/2007, 05:43 PM
Use a silcone spray. Especially useful is one that has the straw attachment to spray down into the tracks. With car washes and rain you may have to reapply accordingly.

No window fix as yet. One of our VX members is working on one. He is testing prototypes and the best materials for it. Baby the windows for now.

That petition did nothing.

maxw
01/01/2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks Anita : I'm most grateful !
Happy New Year.
Max.

spaceCADETzoom
01/01/2007, 10:39 PM
You know, just a few weeks ago I thought I was in trouble too. The windows started getting sloooooow. But they've sped back up. I dunno why. Weather? My VX has never seen snow (almost like me!). And it was sitting in a snow filled parking lot on lovely Ft Sill, Oklahoma :rolleyes: for two weeks when I got back to it and it started doing the slow-window thing. Well, I'm glad it's back to normal. knock on wood.

Oh. And I do not understand why there are fellow Californians wearing scarves in 60 degree weather. :) Guess it didnt bother me much till my new perspective on sleeping in snow

WILLY
01/03/2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah i have used silicone spray lube since i got mine,they barely went up but i sprayed the channels with silicone and woo hoo they worked like new,but the cold weathe does make them a little slow even with a fresh application of the sili. :p

Mrcln1
01/13/2007, 11:53 PM
Crc Heavy Duty Silicone Spray! Its beside the WD40 at Walmart. Works great. I used it several months ago and haven't had an issue since. :cool:

Phantom400

AndyC
01/14/2007, 04:49 PM
Well I have problems with my driver side window too. I opened it up and the clips holding the window are fine. I sprayed it and closed it up but it's still tilting forwards. I'll have to take it apart again to find the problem(not rush as of yet but soon) . Is it possible the front rail popped loose (spot weld let loose?)
Well I just installed a rear camera an am pretty happy with that :) I couldn't pass it up they have the complet wireless ones at COSTCO for under $90. One funny thing I find is I can pick up other wireless cameras on the monitor as I drive around, when I leave the screen on :p

Techy-D
01/14/2007, 10:01 PM
wireless ones at COSTCO for under $90. One funny thing I find is I can pick up other wireless cameras on the monitor as I drive around, when I leave the screen on :p

This could be Entertaining.
Make up a little sign that says something like "Engine Failure!", "Muffler bearing overheating", or something that would catch attention then put it where your camera can see it. Drive around and see who else might be watching their screen! :p

Oh, I'm so devious some times... ;)

Bulldoggie
01/15/2007, 12:05 PM
Well I have problems with my driver side window too. I opened it up and the clips holding the window are fine. I sprayed it and closed it up but it's still tilting forwards. I'll have to take it apart again to find the problem(not rush as of yet but soon) . Is it possible the front rail popped loose (spot weld let loose?)
:p

Your spot weld is not likely to be the cause of the tilt.

The early window fix involves pushing and widening the front window guide to reduce friction in the front guide (the cause of the tilt).

The problem is the upper front guide is welded solid at the top around the mirror, so there is NO REDUCED FRICTION the last 1/3 of the window going up.

Your window needs to be adjusted toward the rear guide. PERIOD.

Allowing your window to tilt as it goes up, WILL break the rear window tab!

Just a warning :)