PDA

View Full Version : Lift topics revisited:

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

Yes, I DID search the forum...and enjoyed reading the many posts about the various approaches to lifting the VX.

I'm ready to perform a moderate lift of 2"/3", to allow the addition of slightly larger tires. I'd like to do everything at once: wheels (Bart's AR Teflon Chambers idea!), tires, OME springs and Rancho RS9000 shocks.

After researching it, I'm confused by the mention of "longer shocks"...what are these "longer" dimensions? Or, preferably, specific part or model numbers for Rancho RS9000 shocks? Do the standard replacement shocks (RS99214 for fronts, RS99215 for rears) fit WHEN the VX is lifted? What about the OME 912 or 913 springs?

And what is this "flipping the ball joint" all about? Is that just insurance to keep the rest of the suspension from tweaking too much? Does it help the camber issue?

Thanks!

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 01:59 PM
Also: I just saw a post which referred to a "bump-stop EXTENSION"...after reading numerous posts about cutting the bump-stops in half to SHORTEN them!

Now I'm even more confused...

ZEUS
01/01/2007, 06:10 PM
I know how you feel... I have been trying to figure out what shocks to order for my lifted VX with growing tires. If you can stand to wait until June, you can get 1 free Rancho shock with the purchase of 3 from Sam's Offroad - http://www.samsoffroad.com/ranchopromo.htm

The wheel travel in the rear is limited by the shocks - longer shocks help regain downward travel after adding the lift (must add a brake line extension and secure the coils to their mounts though). Also, on the compression of the shock it is important the shock does not bottom out before the suspension does - this is when you hit the bump stops. You can trim the bump stops to improve stock ride so that you are not riding on them but I can not guarantee the tires won't contact the body after doing that. On that note, that is why you don't want to trim the bump stops after adding larger tires and you want to instead increase the overall length of the bumpstops to compensate for the larger diameter tires. I drove around for a while without bumpstops because one of mine fell apart and I did not know. My damaged rear wheelwells with missing rivets and shaved plastic tell the end of that story.

Ball joints: After lifting the VX it becomes increasingly more difficult per inch to get an alignment. Flipping the ball joints changes how things line up slightly to allow for easier alignments. Mine have not been flipped yet - if I lift anymore they will need to be.

My confusion comes from the added unsprung weight of bigger tires and the ability of the shocks to control them. I am not sure the 9000's will do the best job with such mass... so what will?

PHO2GR4
01/03/2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the detailed post, Zeus. It seems that there are many ways...but no "best" way...to do a simple, minimal VX lift!

I guess I'll just try this:

a) Install (4) Yokohama Geolandars in the 275/70/16 size, on 16x8 AR Teflon Chambers - - This will increase the overall diameter of the tires from 29.5" (stock) to 1.16" (new). Not a HUGE increase, so maybe no bumpstop issues?

b) Install (2) OME 912 rear springs - - This should give me a bit over 2" of lift, correct?
==> NOTE: How does one "secure" the springs to the mounts, as you wrote?

c) Install (4) Rancho RS9000 shocks - - This is the X-factor, since I'm not sure how they'll fit after the OME springs lift!

d) Install longer, steel-braided brake lines.

e) Flip the ball joints, crank the torsion bolts, drive around, crank 'em some more to even them out...

f) Anything else????

I KNOW that some of you have already done this. Any hints-n-tips?

Triathlete
01/03/2007, 11:58 AM
g) get an alignment after all final adjustments are made.

PHO2GR4
01/03/2007, 02:06 PM
g) get an alignment after all final adjustments are made.

D'OH!

Forgot about that one...good call. Thanks!

PHO2GR4
01/03/2007, 09:48 PM
Another quick question:

I noticed on the Independent4x website that the OME 912's are considered "Medium" and the OME 913's are "Light Duty".

Does that mean that the 912's have a firmer ride?

Or does it mean I should just CALL THEM?
;)