PDA

View Full Version : Meguire's Leather Conditioner = New(ish) Seats!

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, this '99 Ebony just keeps getting better and better. As some of you recall, I purchased an Ebony VX from an eBay seller a month ago, and was sort of mildly underwhelmed when it was delivered. It had suffered from benign neglect, and had some mechanical and cosmetic issues that needed immediate attention.

Plus, it stank. It smelled like, I dunno, cheap disinfectant or something. I was even considering ripping out the innards and replacing carpet, headliner and seats.

Instead, I had my local dealer run an ozone generator inside for a couple of days. It worked wonders! Aside from the ozone smell...very distinct and strong, btw...all other smells were eliminated! And a couple of days later, the ozone smell was gone too. Now it just smells 'neutral', if that makes sense.

The seats were another matter. There were ink stains, oil stains and other dirt...and the leather itself looked really dry and dull. As if salt air had dried out the surface.

Replacing them seemed excessive. There aren't any rips or tears. So I bought some Meguire's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and rolled up my sleeves.

An hour later, it looks like I have new Recaro Trends! The black looks BLACK, and the red looks...well, like the orange-red they were when new! They look great, feel great, and have a supple sheen to them.

Of course, now I tend to slide around more on the slippery leather when I corner quickly...

Next up: Full-on steam cleaning for the carpets.

Then, when the weather warms up: wash with Dawn detergent, clay-bar the paint, and Zaino the Ebony until it turns into a black hole, sucking in all light around it.

rowhard
01/01/2007, 01:39 PM
? Ozone generator, never heard of that before, sounds pretty cool. You want to keep feeding the leather with conditioner to get the oil's back in them. Not to take anything away from Mequire's products, cause they do make quality stuff, but I think you might find there are some better conditioners available. So, when our we going to see some professional photo's of your VX. Maybe I'll just jump into the dragon and take a drive up to the Emerald City, but not today, getting ready to watch Big Blue whip up on them Trojans, Go Blue! :grinb: :grinb:

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 02:02 PM
Enjoy the game!

But AFTER the game, I'd love to hear some ideas for those "better conditioners". I know that it'll take more than one treatment to get the seats in truly pristine condition...

I really should get out and take some "before" photos, so that the "after" photos will really shine!!! Thanks for the reminder.

Chopper
01/01/2007, 03:03 PM
Lexol products are pretty good. (remember your baseball glove?) I use primarily Meguires at the shop, but for leathers I prefer Lexol.

biju
01/01/2007, 04:45 PM
Scott (Moncha) showed me the light with some of the BEST freakin auto care products I've ever used to date: ZAINO BROS (http://www.zainostore.com/)

Just another consideration for your leather care needs...

-biju.

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 05:22 PM
Huh!

I've used Zaino products on the exterior of my cars, but I never checked out their leather products!

Good call...

BBVX
01/01/2007, 05:54 PM
We used to use Ozone machines when there was a fire in one of the apartments. It would pull all the smoke smell out of the building's carpets, walls, insulation, everything. Pretty amazing.

That McGuire's is pretty good too. ;)

Brian

johnnyapollo
01/01/2007, 07:34 PM
Another thumbs-up for Zaino Bros leather products.

-- John

JULIAN911
01/01/2007, 09:47 PM
Try leatherique (leatherique.com) leather cleaner and conditioner. They're used on exotic cars and you won't be disappointed.