PDA

View Full Version : Stock Radio Specifications

k4tmc
01/01/2007, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have any details on the stock VX radio? The front is labeled Premium Audio System 1930. Somewhere it was mentioned that the unit and speakers were Clarion units.

Just pulled mine out to get the manufacturer label information. It was made by Fujitsu Ten (model 1930A101). I have been unable to find any hits via Google searches.

Was there a description in any of the sales brochure or window sticker price label?

Is there a way to add a subwoofer amp?

What is the RMS power of the internal amp? 2 channels, or 4?

Henry

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 12:55 PM
Hi Henry,

I don't have answers for most of your questions, but I'll tell you this from experience:

YES, you can run a separate amp to drive a subwoofer. I did so on my last '99 Ironman, and I'm planning to do it again on my current '99 Ebony.

The stock head unit is surprisingly good. Even the stock speakers are good. I added a small subwoofer in the jack cubby for some added low end, which freed up the four stock speakers (plus tweeters) to run the mids and highs. It made a significant difference in both clarity and volume, which helps in a noisy ride like the VX.

I'm still waffling about replacing the stock head unit with a GPS-capable unit. I really would like GPS, and iPod compatibility would be fantastic. Satellite radio would also be nice. But pound-for-pound, adding an amp and a subwoofer will really juice up the existing sound quality for you.

etlsport
01/01/2007, 01:18 PM
as far as i can see the only way to add an amp would be to get your signal from a high level input (through your speaker wire)

k4tmc
01/01/2007, 04:00 PM
PHO2GR4,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I find my stock unit very good, comparable to the Infinity Gold system that was in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The low frequencies are weak and mushy, thus my consideration of adding a subwoofer.

How did you connect the subwoofer amp to the radio? At the back of the unit, or somewhere along the speaker wires?

I ran an 8 ga wire directly from the battery to the 12V wire at the back of the radio. Hopefully, this provides maximum current for the stock radio amp, which should improve the sound.

Henry

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 05:21 PM
Ack! I can't give you specifics, because I had the work performed at a local car stereo joint.

All I know is, it was quick, easy install. The amp went under the driver's seat, and the sub was almost invisible in the back. It sounded AWESOME.

The added bass, coupled with less strain on the stock speakers, really made an enormous difference.

MZ-N10
01/01/2007, 09:49 PM
i duno...but if u dont replace the headunit the system just odenst sound rite. if u really want to add a sub right, get an aftermarket deck.

PHO2GR4
01/01/2007, 10:17 PM
Well, I'm sure that audio opinions differ from listener to listener. My '99 Ironman sounded extremely good after adding an amp and a subwoofer.

I didn't even do any soundproofing. I'd planned on it, but after adding the sub, it sounded so good that I decided no further changes were needed!

I've changed head units on virtually every car I've owned prior to the VX, because stock units (and stock speakers) usually suck.

The VX is a happy exception.

MZ-N10
01/02/2007, 01:26 AM
yea, it differs from ppl to ppl. but in my vx atleast it wasnt too great to hook up 2 10s, using the rear speakers as signal with the freq. on the amp turned down pretty low. the sub just didnt sound rite, sounded a bit muffled.

Bulldoggie
01/02/2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not certain but I believe the stock head unit was made by a company called "Eclipse"

PHO2GR4
01/02/2007, 08:21 PM
Really? Eclipse is pretty high-end!

k4tmc
01/03/2007, 06:18 AM
Re Eclispe. See my first post above about the OEM of the radio unit. Then check this web page for Eclispe: http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd-index.html

You will see that the stock radio and Eclispe are both Fujitsu Ten products. Now that does not mean that they are built in the same factory by the same personnel, or the same engineering was involved. However, it is a good sign that the stock unit has good lineage.

Henry

nocturnalVX
01/03/2007, 11:43 AM
but the speakers are Clarion. I had my system pulled & replaced with Alpine stuff. SWEET!

k4tmc
01/03/2007, 03:43 PM
OK on the speakers being Clarion units. I have seen that mentioned in other posted messages; however, I not pulled mine yet.

Note that a review of the Clarion corporate web site does not show any connection to Fujitsu Ten which made the radio unit.

Re Alpine. Yes, I am considering that as my first choice on a replacement unit; however I am spoiled by the stock CD changer (works great so far with commercial discs). I really like being able to change CD's without having to fumble with the discs and holders while driving. If I change the radio unit, then I will be forced to find a CD changer that is compatible with the new unit.

Henry

etlsport
01/03/2007, 04:30 PM
go with an mp3 capable head unit (most today are) right now in my head unit i have 140 songs on one disc and if you organize by folders on the disc (very easy) you can scroll them like CDs... plus itll make adding a sub easier

i can vouch for the clarion speakers, ive got mine in a box in the basement and the fronts and backs very clearly read "clarion" on the back of them, as do the tweeters (which are still in my VX)

PHO2GR4
01/03/2007, 04:44 PM
Maybe a top-of-the-line Eclipse DVD-based navigation unit would be able to hook up with an "Eclipse" - Fujitsu Ten VX stock CD changer!

Plus, then you could burn a DVD of your MP3 files, and have more storage on ONE DISK than on an iPod Nano! More than the 6-CD changer, in fact...

k4tmc
01/03/2007, 06:02 PM
Apparently most everyone likes MP3 material because you can cram a lot of information into a small area. My problem with that is the loss of the finer detail in source material. Being a "recovering high-end audiophile", I like to keep my source material as close to the original as possible. It took me years to accept the onslaught of compact discs. The loss of great vinyl LP record production facilities and the lack of a successful automobile player forced me to switch to CD’s. I am not ready to lower my standards to the current MP3 level. I can more easily accept the imperfections of the playback system versus poor source material. The better the playback system, the more obvious is the poor source material

Maybe putting CD files on a DVD has possibilities...

PHO2GR4
01/03/2007, 08:54 PM
I feel the same way about MP3 files. When I rip my CDs onto my computer, I use the Apple Lossless Codec.

But frankly, if it's a high-quality MP3, it's gonna be fine when listened to in a VX. Our rides are so noisy anyway! I'm not complaining...I'm just saying that there's a world of difference between my truly -->high-fidelity<-- hi-fi system in my house, when compared to even the hugely upgraded sound system in my 350Z.

VXs are loud. The car stereo can be LOUDER, but it's still got a lot of competition!