PDA

View Full Version : 3rd cylinder misfire = leaking intake manifold gasket

PHO2GR4
12/29/2006, 09:29 AM
Well, it turns out that the 3rd cylinder misfire issue was probably caused by a bad intake manifold gasket. At 63k miles, I guess that's no surprise.

I'll get it changed today and report back later on how smooooooooth she drives. I'm also replacing the old plugs with NGK Iridiums. It's like vitamins for the VX!

Chopper
12/29/2006, 04:10 PM
Ouch! big bill if you're having it done. Welllll...big enough. Good job doing it right.

PHO2GR4
12/30/2006, 12:28 PM
Wow...that fabulous new-car ride!

It cost me just over $200, but my VX has a new intake manifold gasket installed. Along with the 60K service, this baby feels COMPLETELY different.

She purrs. And she has other improvements, too:

New brake and tranny fluids and filters. New heater fan (the other was rattling LOUDLY). New serpentine belt. New plugs. New Opima Red Top. Oh, and their service department has an ozone generator that they ran in my passenger cabin for a couple of days, so now there are NO old-car odors.

Damn! What a difference. I just got back from an hour-long 'test drive', and I'm loving this.

As soon as I have a couple of days free, I'm going to wash-wax and detail her so I can get some photos online. Then I'll be a like a kind in a candy shop, looking for other upgrades...