PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for engine P1404 and P0402 codes

bielsubob
12/26/2006, 10:20 AM
I did about 1000 miles of holiday driving this past weekend and on the way home my CEL came on. Ran it over to Autozone and they read off two error codes for me. P1404 and P0402. Looked them both up and they seem to be associated with the ERG. Anyone else run into these two codes? If so, what did you do to rectify the situation? I would really like to take care of this myself as I really don't want to deal with the Isuzu dealer here in Austin. Thanks in advance.

-Bob

etlsport
12/26/2006, 11:02 AM
do a search through for "EGR clean" many people have trouble with carbon build up in their EGR, maybe thats whats ailing your VX too, there are lots of instructions on how to clean it out

bielsubob
12/26/2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks. Do you or anyone else have a schematic or diagram that would help me locate the EGR. From past experience I know that some things in the VX are labeled in an interesting fashion (the oil pan that is labeled Tokyo Radiator).

etlsport
12/26/2006, 07:10 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849egr.jpg

egr is the grayish cylindrical piece w/ black top in the middle of the photo

you can download the vehicross workshop manual from www.tonemonday.com/vxparts.html it will give you some more guidance on removing it.. if you search deep enough you can find how-to guides with pictures on the egr cleaning

VR4-Quest
01/02/2007, 09:28 PM
I had the exact same 2 codes read on my VX yesterday, did the cleaning, 3 times now on 3 different occasions, and the light has come back on each time. The plunger moves up and down freely, and the egr tube inthe intake manifold flows intake cleaner and is not plug. Is it just a bad egr solenoid, and where do you get o ne other than the dealer, cost???

Hope just the cleaning works for you!

Thanks!

JGeorge264
01/03/2007, 01:20 PM
Mine did the same, after 3 complete cleanings (and a lot of cussing from my hubby) I ended up having to replace the egr anyway. I was told its a dealer only item, I think I paid about $150 for it. Big difference in the way it ran after the replacement.