PDA

View Full Version : $10, 30 minutes, 2 inches of lift!

MustangO4
12/21/2006, 02:03 PM
So after meeting JoFotoz yesterday I had major lift envy. I read all the posts, got an email from Triathlete and figured, what the heck. So here is what I did. It seems to drive fine, and was too easy so, for you smart folks, what did I screw up?
1 can penetrating oil $2
1 set of alluminum cast rear coil spring boosters $7.99

I jacked up the rear and put 1 booster in the top and bottom of each spring. Took it off the jacks, drove it up and down the driveway: 1.25" higher from tire to wheel well.

I jacked up the front, soaked bar adjustment bolts in oil, put 5 full turns on each. Drove it around the block, looked at it and put on 3 more turns: 2" higher at the skid plate.

Now the stance is more level looking, I have tons more clearance for the new tires coming this month and seated in it even feels better. Just need to get it out on the freeway now for the final test. Naturally the new tires will come with an alignment and I am thinking no bigger thae a 31ish" tire.

So again, what did I screw up?

Here is the before:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/443360.JPG

After:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/459002.JPG

ZEUS
12/21/2006, 02:15 PM
Let's see... if you offroad anywhere with that set up and flex out the rear suspension, your spring will probably fall out. If it does, it could crush a module or computer or something that is near the passenger spring and mounted to the body. To my understanding, that vulnerable piece costs like $1000 to replace. SPAZZ told me about someone's spring coming out and doing that. This setup seems even more likely to do that. That's the only thing I can see might be a problem... but then again, that's enough!

PHO2GR4
12/21/2006, 02:17 PM
With these DIY lifts, aren't there ANY issues with putting out-of-spec strain on the suspension parts? Or even just simple alignment issues? Camber? Cracked CF boots? Ball joints snapping off and shooting through the fuel line, leading to explodey-ness? (I made that last one up.)

I don't want any tension, apprehension or dissention on my suspension...

I'd love to get a little more lift myself, and your procedure seems quick and easy! But I don't want the VX to come apart at the seams 9 months down the road.

MustangO4
12/21/2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, that's what I was loking for. Maybe I'll take it out. I plan to put in the bigger springs ASAP. Mostly this was to check out the "look" What is a reasonable price for the OME 913/912 springs? My local ORW is saying about $80 a spring.

PHO2GR4
12/21/2006, 02:35 PM
Hey Mustang,

I LOVE how your VX looks. That's the same amount of lift I'd like to end up with. I'm just worried about the technical details...

I'm looking a new Rancho RS9000 shocks and maybe the OME 912s. I've read up on the need to flip the ball joints, too, and then after I add the new wheels and larger tires, it'll be time for a really accurate alignment.

But first I have to get her running.

ZEUS
12/21/2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks, that's what I was loking for. Maybe I'll take it out. I plan to put in the bigger springs ASAP. Mostly this was to check out the "look" What is a reasonable price for the OME 913/912 springs? My local ORW is saying about $80 a spring.

Check out Rocky Road Outfitters for the OME springs. I paid $140 for the pair. They recently added a VehiCROSS webpage and the springs are available there, as well as some other goodies.

WILLY
12/22/2006, 01:40 AM
Mustang is that a home done paint job done with flat black,looks good,i did a s10 blazer like that and it turned out sweet,im going to paint my cladding this spring if i still have the vx.

MustangO4
12/22/2006, 05:34 AM
Yes, it is rattle can and Herculiner truckbed liner. I did it after a wreck. I did a thread on it and got accosted by the purists, but I love it. Here is the original thread.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9222

The key to getting rid of the lines is sanding between coats with the finest paper you can find. The last coat I just kinda rubbed with my bare, wet, hand.(stop getting excited you sicko)

Ldub
12/22/2006, 11:14 AM
Your paint job may have been accosted by the purists, but the thread itself was totally jacked...dang zombies ! :p

I'll take my share of the blame on that one. :rolleyes:

Chopper
12/22/2006, 04:13 PM
I want one to spray bomb flat black.

MustangO4
12/22/2006, 07:49 PM
Whenever, zombies can be discussed in matter of fact terms in an open format, it is never a waste of time.....the threat is REAL.

I need a(n undead)brushguard.