PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Please suggest something less painful!

nfpgasmask
12/21/2006, 09:50 AM
OK, so, I just got off the phone with Merlin about getting some OEM brakes and rotors:

FRONT BRAKES (SET): $97.69
REAR BRAKES (SET): $75.02

I'm cool with that.

FRONT ROTORS (EACH): $124.93 (x2 = $249.86)
REAR ROTORS (EACH): $197.81 (x2 = $395.62)

***BLOOD SQUIRTS OUT OF MY WALLET***

We are talking probably over $1000 for new brakes, rotors and then the service to swap 'em out!

So, can someone suggest an good alternative to the OEM rotors? I am going to stop by my mech and see if they can be turned/re-used, and I want the best for my baby, but DAMN that is exspensive!!!

:( Bart

Mark B
12/21/2006, 10:17 AM
How many miles? Usually your rotors can be turned and new brake pads installed. It should run good as new.

nfpgasmask
12/21/2006, 10:20 AM
I'm at 38,500. I am going to stop by the shop this week and ask them to take a look and see if my rotors can still be used.

I am only concerned cause my left rear drum started making a slight scraping noise so I am worried I might be digging a grove into the rotor. I'm gonna get this check soon and hopefully, if I need a new rotor it will only be one or two.

Bart

How many miles? Usually your rotors can be turned and new brake pads installed. It should run good as new.

orion
12/21/2006, 01:17 PM
Go aftermarket!! I got all four rotors off ebay for under $200. even my local parts store had them cheaper than what you have listed, and they were in stock.

etlsport
12/21/2006, 01:23 PM
at 38k i would think your rotors would be fine.. i still have the stock rotors at 50k and havent had them turned yet.... i did read that some of the 01's that didnt sell for awhile had issues with rotors

nfpgasmask
12/21/2006, 01:24 PM
Did you get those R1Concepts rotors??? If so, did you use their pads also?

Thanks,
Bart

Go aftermarket!! I got all four rotors off ebay for under $200. even my local parts store had them cheaper than what you have listed, and they were in stock.

Ruflyf
12/21/2006, 02:56 PM
Bart, Why would you want oem rotors when they are prone to disintegrating?

nfpgasmask
12/21/2006, 03:41 PM
Well, from reading this forum it seemed to be the consensus that OEM was the way to go with brakes and rotors. But, after getting the price quote from Merlin, I am just about ready to try something different.

Ruf, what are you using?

And has anyone tried these:

R1Concepts (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-Vehicross-Frt-Rr-DRILL-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ012QQi temZ220062029980QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

They have these on eBay for A LOT less than OEM, but I don't want a crap product on my VX.

Thanks - Bart

Bart, Why would you want oem rotors when they are prone to disintegrating?

Hotsauce
12/21/2006, 04:09 PM
Avoid chinese made rotors, they are very soft.

I like the stock pads very much, and after trying many different other pads will only use the stock brake components.

John C.

Ruflyf
12/21/2006, 05:36 PM
I am using the oems, but I havent had any problems from mine. I just remember peeps talking about having issues with them.

VCrossfan
12/21/2006, 05:48 PM
For Rotors I went with the Duralast from autozone $30.00 per rotor no exchange of course and a 24 month Warranty. My rear rotors were coming apart on the inside (I replaced), and the fronts looked fine. OEM pads aren't cheap but they last.. All four corners for $172.71 from Merlin at ST Charles to my door, Free Shipping also..good luck..

Ldub
12/21/2006, 09:36 PM
Another option...SP performance rotors, slotted & drilled, slotted only, drilled only or daimond slot.
Last time I got a price quote from these guys was 10/06 & they wanted $226.79 for front pair, $226.84 for the rears.

www.raceshopper.com

Check em' out & see what you think.

WormGod
12/22/2006, 09:59 AM
Yep, for that price, just go with some better performance brakes.

Clyde
12/23/2006, 08:50 AM
I've recently had my back rotors w/pads and front pads replaced. This being done after approximately 130,000 miles on the original pads and rotors.

I went with a set of rear rotors from O'Reilly's (around $29 each) and just had the original front rotors turned (was told they were fine).

As for the pads, I used Warner brake pads front and rear. I believe they are the ceramic type that originally came on the VehiCross. I was told when I bought these a long time ago (I like to have stuff like that handy when I need it) that Warner is the original brake pads for many manufacturers. Plus if you buy them at a local autoparts store instead of at a dealership you save some cash. I purchased these at O'Reilly's also if I remember correctly. I don't remember what I paid for them, but it don't believe they were as expensive as what you were going to pay at a dealership nfpgasmask.

So far, mine are working fine with no problems. :)

Tobert
12/23/2006, 09:04 AM
And has anyone tried these:

R1Concepts (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-Vehicross-Frt-Rr-DRILL-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ012QQi temZ220062029980QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

I put them on both my VX and my wife's Impreza. They're working out just fine, but I only have about 2k miles on each car since the purchase. They do fit well. I also bought the ceramic pads from R1concepts. They're a really tight fit into my calipers, but they work just fine.

edit: I actually went with the OEM style and not drilled/slotted. I have any need for extra venting and would prefer the extended pad life.

r1concepts
12/26/2006, 11:31 AM
I put them on both my VX and my wife's Impreza. They're working out just fine, but I only have about 2k miles on each car since the purchase. They do fit well. I also bought the ceramic pads from R1concepts. They're a really tight fit into my calipers, but they work just fine.

edit: I actually went with the OEM style and not drilled/slotted. I have any need for extra venting and would prefer the extended pad life.

Tobert, I'm glad that they worked out for you.

Did you get those R1Concepts rotors??? If so, did you use their pads also?

Thanks,
Bart

Bart, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd like you to be as informed as possible, whether or not your purchase the product.

If you don't plan on buying our rotors, let me know who your deciding on. We are a manufacturer, so we do know a lot of suppliers personally. I'll give you my honest opinion about the quality of brakes out there.

To everyone else that have purchase rotors from us, thank you for the support.

Ldub
12/26/2006, 02:54 PM
Tobert, I'm glad that they worked out for you.

Bart, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd like you to be as informed as possible, whether or not your purchase the product.

If you don't plan on buying our rotors, let me know who your deciding on. We are a manufacturer, so we do know a lot of suppliers personally. I'll give you my honest opinion about the quality of brakes out there.

To everyone else that have purchase rotors from us, thank you for the support.

Here's an idea for you R-1...put "VehiCROSS" in the menu on your site.
I always feel like a vendor is interested in my business if they go to the effort of including my specific model in the list of choices I'm offered.

r1concepts
12/27/2006, 10:09 AM
Here's an idea for you R-1...put "VehiCROSS" in the menu on your site.
I always feel like a vendor is interested in my business if they go to the effort of including my specific model in the list of choices I'm offered.

Ldub, I just updated the menu. Sorry about that. We're still updating the website (ie. layout, items, inventory).

Ldub
12/27/2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks R-1...thats the kind of good old fashioned customer service that'll get my business most every time.
I don't need rotors yet, but when I do... ;)

biju
12/27/2006, 05:08 PM
AM I READING THIS RIGHT (from R1)?!!!!:

THE PRICE OF $217.99 IS FOR:
2 Front + 2 Rear R1 Concepts' E-Line Performance Brake Rotors

4 Front + 4 Rear R1 Concepts' Premium Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

That can't be.... or can it?

-biju.

r1concepts
12/28/2006, 01:52 AM
AM I READING THIS RIGHT (from R1)?!!!!:

THE PRICE OF $217.99 IS FOR:
2 Front + 2 Rear R1 Concepts' E-Line Performance Brake Rotors

4 Front + 4 Rear R1 Concepts' Premium Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

That can't be.... or can it?

-biju.

Yups! Extremely affordable rotors, but I don't want to sound too much like a salesman. Just upgrade the pads, for an addition like $15.00 - $20.00, and you'll be set.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. You can also call the office, anyone of my sales reps would be happy to all your questions. Just in case you feel like you like to talk someone regarding your questions... 714-777-2323

biju
12/28/2006, 05:13 AM
Bart, apologies if this is hijacking your thread... but I have a question for R1 (or anybody else that might know).

Do you have to use the semi-metalic pads with the R1 rotors, or will use of the ceramic Isuzu OEM pads work fine with them? Explain.

Thanks.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
12/28/2006, 09:02 AM
Beej, that's quite alright, I'm sure I have jacked a thread or two of yours in the past! ;) And besides, we are still on the right subject here. Probably next week I am going to place an order with R1 for a full set of brakes and rotors. I will also be getting my front wheel bearing repacked at the same time. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

And yes, the $229 price tag on R1's product is very good indeed, especially since new brakes and rotors from Merlin were an upwards of $900, which is nutty to say the least.

I just want to make sure my VX is tip top, so I need to do this soon. But Xmas was a little rough on my bank account.

Bart

Bart, apologies if this is hijacking your thread... but I have a question for R1 (or anybody else that might know).

Do you have to use the semi-metalic pads with the R1 rotors, or will use of the ceramic Isuzu OEM pads work fine with them? Explain.

Thanks.

-biju.

r1concepts
12/28/2006, 09:45 AM

Thanks.

-biju.

Woh! I didn't know that Isuzu OEM pads were of ceramic compound. If it is, your pads should be fine. No need to spend the extra money on new pads.

kpaske
12/28/2006, 09:57 AM
Hey Bart,

I went through a similar decision making process a few months ago and I decided to go with the following:

SP Performance Rotors:
Front: Diamond Slotted
Rear: Slotted

SP Performance Street Pads

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/Isuzu/VehiCROSS/Brake~Systems/index.htm

I chose these because they came recommended by several of the veterans of this site, and seemed like the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately, they would not do Diamond Slots on the rear rotors (and wouldn't explain why), but otherwise I think this is the best deal available if you can afford them.

P.S. - No discredit is meant towards R1, BTW. I have never used them, nor know anything about them, besides the fact that a few members here have expressed good results with them. I've never heard anything bad about them and they are very reasonably priced.

r1concepts
12/28/2006, 10:01 AM
No worries... how much did you spend on them?

kpaske
12/28/2006, 10:02 AM
Woh! I didn't know that Isuzu OEM pads were of ceramic compound. If it is, your pads should be fine. No need to spend the extra money on new pads.Wait, I don't think that's right. Aren't OEM pads semi-metallic?

I checked the knowledge base but it didn't specify:
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=content&tid=1

BTW, pads should ALWAYS be changed when installing new rotors, ESPECIALLY if you are changing to a different pad material.

kpaske
12/28/2006, 10:05 AM
No worries... how much did you spend on them?For all four rotors and pad sets I spent about $500, IIRC.

PHO2GR4
12/28/2006, 10:18 AM
Cool! Battle of the Monster Rotors! Cage-match!

I've also heard really good things about R1Concepts. I'm following this thread with great interest because at 63k, my brakes already feel mushy and blehhhhhhh.

I'll probably go new with all four wheels, and I trust that YOU GUYS will make up my mind on the best way to go!

Okay, back to the debate...

kpaske
12/29/2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, we're an opinionated bunch, aren't we? ;Db;

I think a lot of us come to a consensus on "what's best" for the VX because the options are limited, and there are often clear differences in the products being offered. I always come here for advice first because 99.9% of the time someone else has already done something similar to what I want to do.

Even then, it pays to do some research on your own and decide whether the most popular solution (or what one might claim is "the best" solution) is right for you in your situation.

PHO2GR4 - If your brake pedal feels mushy you should consider steel braided brake lines. Results vary, but some have experienced dramatic improvements over stock, and it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

ZEUS
12/29/2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe someone else has heard this before, knows something about it, and can set me straight... To my understanding, drilled rotors are not suited for those of us who go offroad. I have read about small rocks getting wedged in the holes of vented rotors and ruining things. It would seem if this were to happen it would happen more often in rally, but I don't read up on rally very much so I am not sure where I heard it. Anyone have any comments on this?

r1concepts
12/29/2006, 10:53 AM
Maybe someone else has heard this before, knows something about it, and can set me straight... To my understanding, drilled rotors are not suited for those of us who go offroad. I have read about small rocks getting wedged in the holes of vented rotors and ruining things. It would seem if this were to happen it would happen more often in rally, but I don't read up on rally very much so I am not sure where I heard it. Anyone have any comments on this?

I've never heard of that. But then again, it seems possible for you off-roaders. So maybe, slotted would be better.

Has anyone ever experience this?

PHO2GR4
12/29/2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Kyle,

I just saw a set of steel-braided brake lines on eBay for about $150 shipped. Are those the ones you're talking about? Have any of you VXers tried these before?!?

kpaske
12/29/2006, 02:33 PM
These are the ones I use:

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1263303&PRID=1221569

biju
01/03/2007, 10:11 PM
OK, R1... I'm giving your rotors a try, and placed an order tonight for the front and rear set. I hope I've chosen wisely...

I have also previously ordered the OEM pads from Isuzu to go with the new rotors, so no worries there. (man, those were spendy... see barts prices above!)

Finally, I also picked up the braided breakline kit from Independent 4x.

Granted all this arrives in time, I'll have it all installed next Friday and report back (specifically) on the rotors. I hope my findings are similar to Tobert's.

-biju.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/06/2007, 05:28 PM
For Rotors I went with the Duralast from autozone $30.00 per rotor no exchange of course and a 24 month Warranty. My rear rotors were coming apart on the inside (I replaced), and the fronts looked fine.

Ditto for me too. My rear rotors finally came apart on the inside at 60k miles. I do live on a dirt road so I'm sure the dust didn't help. I tried cleaning the caliper sliders a few times over the years but the rotors still went kaput. My fronts still look fine. I went to AutoZone today to buy the cheapest rear rotors (ValueCraft #31084B) & pads (DuraLast D580) for the rear just get her up and running and to make it through winter...only costs me $22.99 per rotor plus like $21.99 for the pads. Everything was in stock.
Autozone does list cheaper pads (ValueCraft D580V @ $12.99) but these were not in stock where I was at. They also list more 'spensive pads if anyone wants premium pads.

I ordered "R1 Concepts Inc" drilled/slotted/zinc plated front & rear rotors today for a next spring mod project. They were $154.99 + shipping($48 to PA via UPS Ground) @ their website.

Also ordered pads from "Import Replacement parts":
http://www.importrp.com/home.php

(D 770 RU/5) PBR/Axxis Ultimate FRONT Brake Pad Set $44.99
(D 771 RU/6) PBR/Axxis Ultimate REAR Brake Pad Set $44.99
Subtotal: $89.98
my Shipping cost: $13.06

Total: $103.04

Also ordered a stainless steel brake line kit from "Independent 4X":
http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1263303&PRID=1221569

$149.99 plus shipping (my shipping to PA was $11)

Of course if the weather stays warm here in W. PA; Spring just might come a little early if you catch my snowless drift :p

biju
01/10/2007, 04:12 PM
Jolly,

Did you get your R1 rotors yet?

I got mine today, and am on the fence. They look good, but the drilled holes look a little sloppy (but I could just be picky). Some are smooth holes, others are jagged. Can't tell unless you're up close holding them in your hands, but still... wondering if you're have the same texture?

wonder if this will have any sort of effect on them...?

Anyways, the Independent 4x brakeline kit came today also (It was a 'package' day for sure...) Really BEEFY lines!

They all get installed tomorrow, so I'll post back on performance.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
01/10/2007, 04:43 PM
Beej, please do keep us posted. I have not ordered my rotors and pads yet...so please feedback.

Thanks - Bart

Jolly,

I got mine today, and am on the fence. They look good, but the drilled holes look a little sloppy (but I could just be picky). Some are smooth holes, others are jagged. Can't tell unless you're up close holding them in your hands, but still... wondering if you're have the same texture?

Anyways, the Independent 4x brakeline kit came today also (It was a 'package' day for sure...) Really BEEFY lines!

-biju.

VehiGAZ
01/11/2007, 09:43 AM
nfp, I think the dealership prices you were quoted were pretty good! I recently had my dealer replace the rear pads (almost gone) & rotors (warped). The STEALership is charging $250 APIECE for the rotors!! I didn't ask about the price ahead of time, so I got burned on the bill. Never again will I not ask!

kpaske
01/11/2007, 10:01 AM
nfp, I think the dealership prices you were quoted were pretty good! I recently had my dealer replace the rear pads (almost gone) & rotors (warped). The STEALership is charging $250 APIECE for the rotors!! I didn't ask about the price ahead of time, so I got burned on the bill. Never again will I not ask!There's almost always a higher markup on parts installed by the dealership. Sometimes the price you're quoted at the parts counter is much less than what they charge you in the shop in the same building (in addition to the labor!). But the prices Merlin @ St. Charles gives us are lower than any I've seen.

nfpgasmask
01/11/2007, 11:33 AM
I would like more info on this if possible. I roll around in the rocky Nevada wasteland often enough...

Bart

I've never heard of that. But then again, it seems possible for you off-roaders. So maybe, slotted would be better.

Has anyone ever experience this?

kpaske
01/11/2007, 11:51 AM
Nobody's really speaking up, but when I was researching my rotors I found a few threads where this was mentioned. I chose SP Performance's "diamond slotted" design because the holes' edges are tapered, which should be less prone to having little rocks get stuck.

FWIW I'm pretty sure this is the exact rotor that Tone was using for Rally racing - he was one of those who spoke very highly about them when I was asking around.

I don't have them installed yet, so I can't give you much of a first hand review. :(

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/11/2007, 03:25 PM
Jolly,

-biju.

No, I haven't received mine yet. I just got home from work and found my Independent 4X steel brakeline kit delivered to the doorstep; but, still waiting for rotors and PBR/AXXIS brake pads.

I was thinking that if my rotors arrive with any of the holes jagged as you described I'll either take'em to work (we have full machine shop there) and deburr the hole with a champhering tool or simply use my dremel at home.

As far as the issues with stones....I live on a dirt road with lots of stones of assorted sizes....all the way down to the granular stones you find in a handful of beach sand. If this IS an issue...I'll report back to you guys about it. Thats kind of why I didn't mind buying the Autozone rear rotors now because they'll be good to have (along with my original front rotors) if I encounter any problems with stones lodging in the holes of the R1Concepts.

biju
01/12/2007, 06:39 PM
The holes aren't bad, and are quality - I guess I was expecting them to be satin smooth but seeing as they're machined I was probably being unreasonable and picky...

So far so good with the rotors. Initially they seem to provide a little more 'bite' upon braking - however, I'm not sure if it's the rotors or the new Independent 4X brake line kit? Either way, they seem to work/perform good - but only more time will really tell...

-biju.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/24/2007, 02:41 PM
Well...the good news is that I got my R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors delivered today...the bad news is they sent me 4 front rotors instead of 2 front & 2 rear. I emailed them tonight so we'll see how good their customer service is.

they look to be well made...I had no issues with the drilled holes or slots...all seem to be machined nice & cleanly. They were packaged well too.

nfpgasmask
01/24/2007, 02:43 PM
I'm going to order mine soon. Let me know how it works out.

Bart

Well...the good news is that I got my R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors delivered today...the bad news is they sent me 4 front rotors instead of 2 front & 2 rear. I emailed them tonight so we'll see how good their customer service is.

they look to be well made...I had no issues with the drilled holes or slots...all seem to be machined nice & cleanly. They were packaged well too.

colmhd
01/24/2007, 04:39 PM
I paid $165 for a set of front and back discs from these guys, and a set of OEM pads for $30 all round.
I went in and had the pads changed less than 6 months ago and asked the guys to check the discs as I had a feeling they weren't right. No they're fine. I was told.
So here I am 6 months later and getting a grinding noise when I brake, I was replacing the front shocks with Ranchos and told them to check out the brakes and discs. "You've got about a thousand mile left on the front shoks and the discs are OK.
But on the way back from the shop the grinding got that little bit more noticable, I ordered pads that night. when I took them to a different shop to get them fixed while I was at work,(pouring rain no garage,middle of winter, would you?)
They rang back and said they wouldn't put the pads on as I desperatley needed discs. So the Golden Rule is if you feel it ain't right it more than likely isn't.
http://catalog.autopartsgo.com/brand.php?make_text=isuzu&model_text=vehicross&ml=veh--001&year=2000&part_name=brake_disc&my=1

Joe_Black
01/25/2007, 10:51 AM
LOL, interesting thread. I'm at 133K miles on the original rotors and will have them turned (if needed) as I do need pads for the front, which will be the Axxis pads since stopping is kinda important to me :p and they've proven themselves in AutoX and RallyX circles here.

CrnCnn
02/03/2007, 09:20 AM
I am in the market soon, any updates on the R1 product?

2K1 1K2
02/03/2007, 10:29 AM
i'm curious, as well. although more interested on the pads.

i still haven't been able to find an answer to -

what compound are the OEM pads made up of? (semi metallic, ceramic etc?)

the auto parts stores keep telling me OEM's are ceramic. don't want to try the wrong material on stock rotors.

-jose

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/04/2007, 02:48 AM

An update: After emailing them, they responded with an automatic email saying to expect 3 day wait (business day) before a response to my email; which turned out to be about right...they responded with a request to resolve over the phone (no 1-800 # though)....so after talking to them a couple of minutes (they were nice about it and apologetic), they emailed me a return shipping UPS label to send back 2 of the front rotors and promised to ship out the correct rear rotors after receiving them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/04/2007, 03:07 AM
LOL, interesting thread. I'm at 133K miles on the original rotors and will have them turned (if needed) as I do need pads for the front, which will be the Axxis pads since stopping is kinda important to me :p and they've proven themselves in AutoX and RallyX circles here.

I'm pretty sure in my case its because I live in the proverbial "rust-belt" area of the nation. In my mind its not an ISUZU issue...its a disc brake setup doesn't like roadsalt/dust/grime/calcium chloride mix. I've had issues with other vehicles I've owned pertaining to the disc brakes too...but in those cases the vehicle would pull to one side or the other indicating a problem that could be quickly addressed. With my VX, because it is both inner pads sticking, it doesn't pull to either side and gives virtually no warning because the wear indicators are on the opposite (outboard) pads.

Ironically, drum brakes seem to stand up to these conditions very well...usually without issue.
My Monte Carlo has disc fronts and drum rears and the rears never give me any problems. Ditto for the Ford Bronco I used to own.

My VX front rotors show excellent wear on the outer pads and a higher amount of wear on the inner pads..but still overall they are in good condition.
My VX rear rotors show excellent wear on the outer pads and were used up on the inner pads...down to the rivets..which is what I started to hear screeching. :eek:

If there is a bright side...alot of my previous vehicles had caliper piston malfunctions too...where the piston would get stuck either intitially before engaging the pad resulting in unbalanced braking or during braking where it would'nt release resulting in pulling to one side. My VX has not exhibited any of these issues.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/18/2007, 12:10 PM
An update: After emailing them, they responded with an automatic email saying to expect 3 day wait (business day) before a response to my email; which turned out to be about right...they responded with a request to resolve over the phone (no 1-800 # though)....so after talking to them a couple of minutes (they were nice about it and apologetic), they emailed me a return shipping UPS label to send back 2 of the front rotors and promised to ship out the correct rear rotors after receiving them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, just to let you guys know, they came through with sending me the correct rear rotors in exchange for the 2 front rotors I didn't need (they sent me 4 fronts instead of 2 frnt + 2 rears). Now all I need is for winter to go away!

nfpgasmask
02/19/2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I just ordered a full set of brake pads and rotors from R1.

Hopefully they will ship soon! I can't wait to get these on so I can start driving like a maniac again! (I have been taking it easy cause I know my pads are worn down pretty bad right now).

Bart

biju
02/19/2007, 11:30 AM
not too sure I'd buy my R1's over again if given the chance...(but maybe because I have limited to NO experience with how drilled/slotted rotors *should* perform...??)

the face (surface) on my rotors are BROWN? - and the slots get all filled up with pad gunk constantly. (doesn't this defeat the purpose of the slots? ha.)

Is this supposed to be? I always see other rides with drilled/slotted rotors and their surfaces are gleaming silver/clean - w/ no build up in the holes or slots...

I dunno. I'm picky tho. maybe this phenomena will subside over time, and is only because they're still new.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
02/19/2007, 11:48 AM
Well, what about the braking performance? I mean, I really hope this wasn't a bad choice. I need brakes pretty bad now, but if these are going to be bad for my VX.... :eek:

So you are saying they are like rusted? Or just dirty? I wonder if I should try to get them exchanged for regular rotors (non-drilled and slotted)??? Do you think that would be better?

:confused: Bart

not too sure I'd buy my R1's over again if given the chance...(but maybe because I have limited to NO experience with how drilled/slotted rotors *should* perform...??)

the face (surface) on my rotors are BROWN? - and the slots get all filled up with pad gunk constantly. (doesn't this defeat the purpose of the slots? ha.)

Is this supposed to be? I always see other rides with drilled/slotted rotors and their surfaces are gleaming silver/clean - w/ no build up in the holes or slots...

I dunno. I'm picky tho. maybe this phenomena will subside over time, and is only because they're still new.

-biju.

biju
02/19/2007, 12:06 PM
no rust, just 'burnt' color on the break pad (rotor) contact surface... it's really strange. I'll see if I can snap a pic tonight after work...

performace on the R1's are fine so far, but just concerned about what I'm seeing... My hope is this is just stuff happening due to a 'break in' period of new pads/rotors, etc.... and crossing my fingers that what I'm seeing isn't the begining of the end. ha.

again - right *now* - they work great.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
02/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, my hope is for performance and longevity. You can't really see my rotors through the Chambers, so looks isn't really a concern. I just want good, long lasting stopping power.

I don't want to have to change my brakes again before Moab!

Hopefully, R1 will chime in on this thread again and let us know what's going on in your case.

Bart

no rust, just 'burnt' color on the break pad (rotor) contact surface... it's really strange. I'll see if I can snap a pic tonight after work...

performace on the R1's are fine so far, but just concerned about what I'm seeing... My hope is this is just stuff happening due to a 'break in' period of new pads/rotors, etc.... and crossing my fingers that what I'm seeing isn't the begining of the end. ha.

again - right *now* - they work great.

-biju.

biju
02/19/2007, 01:23 PM
I don't want to have to change my brakes again before Moab!
...am i reading this right? you'll be present? :p

-biju.

nfpgasmask
02/19/2007, 01:27 PM
I am planning to make it, yes. Right now, I need to figure out what day the VX only run is, and if there is no VX only run, I would at least like to make it for 1 or 2 of the days when most of us (VXers) will be there. My wife is not thrilled about the trip so it might just be me.

Basically, I will know more once the plans come together.

Bart

...am i reading this right? you'll be present? :p

-biju.

orion
02/19/2007, 01:31 PM
That "burnt" look might be the zinc coating coming off. It might take a few miles, and it is suppose to wear off from the pad contact.

biju
02/19/2007, 01:32 PM
your wife WILL be missing out if she doesn't go! glad to hear you're making it tho.

back to the rotors... I think you'll be fine with R1's product. I think I'll be fine with R1's product... I'm just nervous about the brown burning look/effect and the clogged slots. Again, might just be a break-in thing...

-biju.

nfpgasmask
02/19/2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, well, her main reason for NOT wanting to go is that she does not want to camp. I want to camp in the Great Basic National Park on the way, to break up the 12 hour drive, and camp in Moab. She however, does not like camping (probably because I start to reek after only about 12 hours without a shower, especially in the summer).

So we'll see. I'll keep working on her. It doesn't help that our wedding anniversary is on May 13th. That may thwart my Moab plans in the end...

Only time will tell.

Bart

your wife WILL be missing out if she doesn't go! glad to hear you're making it tho.

back to the rotors... I think you'll be fine with R1's product. I think I'll be fine with R1's product... I'm just nervous about the brown burning look/effect and the clogged slots. Again, might just be a break-in thing...

-biju.

r1concepts
03/08/2007, 12:56 PM
Hey all, I apologize for not responding to your messages sooner. However, I didn't get an email notification regarding new messages. I'll have to fix that.

Anyways, Jolly Roger VX'er, I'm glad to hear that you received your parts and that the representative helped you.

If you guys have any more questions, feel free to ask me. thanks

nfpgasmask
03/12/2007, 08:47 AM
OK, so I got my R1 Brakes and Rotors installed on Saturday, as well as the front bearings repacked. So far so good. The brakes seem to function good, although I do see the brown tinge on the rotors that Biju was talking about.

R1: Can you explain/comment on this please? Just to give all of us anal VXers some peace of mind on this?

Thanks - Bart

CrnCnn
03/12/2007, 09:07 AM
give all of us anal

Thanks - Bart

HEHEHEHE :p

r1concepts
03/12/2007, 09:10 AM
Hm...I'm not sure what the brown is. Biju, if you can send me some pictures thru PM that'd be great. It might just be nothing too much to worry about, but I'd like to see it anyways.

nfpgasmask, good to hear they're working for you. If you experience the same problems as Biju, feel free to let me know. I don't want this to be of a big concern to other buyers. Thanks

Cheers!

biju
03/12/2007, 09:22 AM
I'll see what I can do tonight with pix...

Thanks r1.

-biju.

r1concepts
03/12/2007, 09:27 AM
NP, anything to help the VXhers!

nfpgasmask
03/12/2007, 09:29 AM
I can try to snap some shots too, as mine are brown already as well. But like you said, its probably nothing to worry about....but...

Thanks - Bart

Hm...I'm not sure what the brown is. Biju, if you can send me some pictures thru PM that'd be great. It might just be nothing too much to worry about, but I'd like to see it anyways.

nfpgasmask, good to hear they're working for you. If you experience the same problems as Biju, feel free to let me know. I don't want this to be of a big concern to other buyers. Thanks

Cheers!

biju
03/12/2007, 09:34 AM
bart... by all means, if you can please do. I just got pulled into a 9:30pm Asia Pacific video conference so looks like tonight's out for me.

Thanks man.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
03/12/2007, 09:38 AM
Sure man!

Bart

bart... by all means, if you can please do. I just got pulled into a 9:30pm Asia Pacific video conference so looks like tonight's out for me.

Thanks man.

-biju.

r1concepts
03/12/2007, 09:44 AM
Sure, PM them over when u get the chance.

nfpgasmask
03/14/2007, 01:05 PM
OK, even with the sun shining today, it was difficult to get a good quality pic of the rotors through my Chambers. There isn't much room to see through.

This is the pic that came out the best:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/rotors.jpg

As you can kinda see, the surface of the rotor is clearly not silver anymore, but now has a brownish tinge to it.

Other than that, these brakes and rotors seem to perform just fine. I have purposefully tried braking hard on a few down hill stops to see how well they bite, and they do seem to need a little extra pressure, but otherwise work just fine.

So, R1, any ideas what this brown discoloration is from? I'm sure its nothing to really worry about, but if you could shed some light that would be excellent...

Thanks - Bart

MSHardeman
03/26/2007, 02:36 PM
Biju,

Is there any update on the rotors? I was thinking of replacing pads and rotors when I got under the VX to repack the front bearings (might also paint the calipers too). Are they working fine? Has the browning gone away? What's your overall opinion?

Inquiring minds want to know.

nfpgasmask
03/26/2007, 02:54 PM
Hopefully Beej will reply also.

I have had the R1 Rotors and pads on now for about 2 weeks. The browning is still there, and we have had no response from R1 regarding this. So, I don't know what to say about that.

As for performance, I'm on the fence. It seems like with everyday normal driving on FLAT surfaces, the brakes work fine. But just yesterday, I was driving through the mountains and one a winding road going downhill, the guy in front of me slowed down to make a turn with no signal real fast. I started braking and the brakes were not gripping very good on the downhill. I actually got a little scared for a second. So, I don't know, I mean, is it the weight of the VX that was causing this? Or brakes that don't bite as hard as they should? Or is it an anti-lock issue? If I am going down a moderatly steep hill at say 30mph, and I JAM HARD on my brakes, should they lock up my wheels? I didn't like the feeling that my brakes were not working very well. Its almost like I need to STAND on the pedal to make the brakes grip as hard as I felt they should. Could it also just be that the brakes are new and need a little more time to break in?

Bart

Biju,

Is there any update on the rotors? I was thinking of replacing pads and rotors when I got under the VX to repack the front bearings (might also paint the calipers too). Are they working fine? Has the browning gone away? What's your overall opinion?

Inquiring minds want to know.

biju
03/26/2007, 03:21 PM
mark: my final opinion >> worth the money.

i mean, they were only a couple hundo for the set - so i can't complain. great looks, equal if not slightly better performance than the oem's (but could be due to new pads).

the browning? it seems to be gradually getting less and less noticeable - although still slightly there. i have a feeling it will continue to decrease (*crossing fingers*).

because my garage is down to one vx i find that I'm braking much more often these days, being extra careful/mindful of traffic around me. brakes work just fine and feel really solid - i'm confident.

would i buy them again with the same budget? >> yes.

bart: i'm not a gear head/mechanic - but maybe an adjustment is in order? - or possibly low brake fluid?? :confused: :confused: ... just a thought.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
03/26/2007, 03:38 PM
Well, like I said, under normal conditions, they seem fine. It was just that downhill experience I had yesterday that kinda freaked me out.

When you get your brakes and rotors changed, don't they have to bleed and refill your master cylinder?

Bart

mark: my final opinion >> worth the money.

i mean, they were only a couple hundo for the set - so i can't complain. great looks, equal if not slightly better performance than the oem's (but could be due to new pads).

the browning? it seems to be gradually getting less and less noticeable - although still slightly there. i have a feeling it will continue to decrease (*crossing fingers*).

because my garage is down to one vx i find that I'm braking much more often these days, being extra careful/mindful of traffic around me. brakes work just fine and feel really solid - i'm confident.

would i buy them again with the same budget? >> yes.

bart: i'm not a gear head/mechanic - but maybe an adjustment is in order? - or possibly low brake fluid?? :confused: :confused: ... just a thought.

-biju.

Ascinder
03/26/2007, 04:49 PM
Usually you only bleed the brake system if you are getting a spongy pedal, or have opened any part of your brake system(which usually isn't done when replacing pads or rotors), or if you have low fluid(which usually means something is leaking or seeping somewhere). That browning would concern me a little since steel turns colors when being heat treated/tempered. Are you getting any colors besides brown in there, like purples or blues? I have never had disc brakes turn brown......

nfpgasmask
03/26/2007, 04:54 PM
I know what you mean about other colors, like when you take a grinder to a fresh piece of steel. No, it just looks like a brownish film. Not quite rust colored, more somewhere between a "burnt umber" and a "raw sienna".

:)

Bart

PS - When the fark am I going to see your VX on the road??? :)

Usually you only bleed the brake system if you are getting a spongy pedal, or have opened any part of your brake system(which usually isn't done when replacing pads or rotors), or if you have low fluid(which usually means something is leaking or seeping somewhere). That browning would concern me a little since steel turns colors when being heat treated/tempered. Are you getting any colors besides brown in there, like purples or blues? I have never had disc brakes turn brown......

Ascinder
03/26/2007, 05:22 PM
not for at least a week since it is up in the air on four jackstands with the entire front suspension/driveline torn out. I am in the middle of doing the differential drop, replacing all CV boots with mecatech, replacing the brake lines with the kevlar/stainless braid set from independent4x.com, putting in my heavy duty tie rods, 285/55/R20 nitto dunegrapplers on black Mega 835 rims after indexing the torsion bars and cranking, and installing my rear spring jacks(which will hopefully work) and wiring in my four offroad lights to the roofrack then into the cabin, and finishing my low profile rack mounts. Needless to say, it should be pretty cool once it's all said and done, but man what a daunting set of tasks. Then I still have to refill the front diff., change the gear oil in the rear diff, do an oil/filter change(100% synthetic Mobil 1 all around),mount and balance and install the wheels and get an alignment done. Right now, I'm waiting on differential bearings/seals/snaprings, brakeline kit, CV boots, and rims, all of which should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully that gives me enough time to get the drop brackets done and finish the 1 tie rod I'm still working on, plus the plethora of other stuff in the mean time. :eek: :deadgray: :eek: :deadgray: :_wtf:

kpaske
03/27/2007, 08:41 AM
any ideas what this brown discoloration is from?I think it's probably rust. If it's only on the surface where the pad wears away at the rotor, it's nothing to worry about as it will be scraped off each time you brake. Does some of the discoloration go away after you drive it, then build back up over night?

Joe_Black
03/27/2007, 10:15 AM
I'm leaning towards heat discoloration as they shouldn't rust up overnight as the pad keeps the surface polished. If it's a bronze sort of brown there's likely some issues with the alloys the rotors are made from, meaning they could be re-branded seconds.

VehiGAZ
04/23/2007, 06:31 PM
Any news on the R1 rotors?

I ask because my recent brake job didn't last - the rear rotors that I had replaced in November (with pads, $890!!!) have warped. Can you believe that?! I am pee-ossed!!

If the dealer doesn't replace them for free, I'm going to need some options. The $30 Autozone specials are looking pretty good right now!

biju
04/23/2007, 06:46 PM
sorry to hear about your rotor woes...

yeah - my R1's, granted i was worried at first, have done grrrreat. for the money you can't go wrong.

best of luck to you.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
04/23/2007, 10:12 PM
I agree, I have no real issues with mine.

Bart

sorry to hear about your rotor woes...

yeah - my R1's, granted i was worried at first, have done grrrreat. for the money you can't go wrong.

best of luck to you.

-biju.

VehiGAZ
04/24/2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the update guys - the dealer said that the brake repair gone bad is covered under their 1 year parts & labor warranty, so they will pick up the tab for replacing it. If they try to weasel out of covering it (probably not - we bought our Audi there and service both there as well), I'll go aftermarket.

There is a confounding factor with this, though - one of my rear Goodyear Wranglers is going bad. The belt is loose and shifting inside the tire, which pushes the treads off to one side, which makes it feel a lot (but not entirely) like an unbalanced tire. Kind of an odd thing to go wrong with it, but I need to sort that out and get it replaced (also under 1-yr warranty) before the Isuzu service writer is going to admit that the rotor is warped.

Will keep the board posted... I'm sure some bizarre problem will be discovered before this is all done. :-)