PDA

View Full Version : IT time for new tires!

jamessmith
12/20/2006, 08:33 PM
I have decided to treat my dragon to a new set of tires.My preferences is MICHELIN,but i believe they are noT available for the VX.
Before i go out and purchase tires,i desperately need to hear from the acknowledgeable folks of this forum.Please respond as soon as possible.
Happy HOLIDAYS!!!!!!
JAMES

Baxman
12/20/2006, 10:11 PM
The VX is uniquely versatile - good handling on the road AND an @$$-kicker off-road. Hard to find both qualities in one vehicle. You can put low-profile street-meats on it, but then you lose it's trail capability. Mud terrain tires will enhance off-road forays, but will cost you in fuel, acceleration, noise and handling.

My strategy is BFG ATs with D-load rating (8-ply). I can pump them up to 60 PSI so the sidewalls don't flex, retaining cornering ability like a low-profile tire. That also increases fuel economy by 1-2 MPG. The price is an unforgiving ride, so I usually keep them at 46 psi, a good compromise. When off-road, I can air down to 10 psi for excellent traction (larger contact-patch), flotation in the sand, and a very compliant ride. The D-rated sidewalls are inherently stiff even at low psi, so handling isn't scary, and they hold up to trail debris.

My $.02; good luck in coming to a decision.

crager34
12/21/2006, 08:31 AM
If your not going to be doing any off-roading, consider a street tire. I have a nice set, check my gallery for info. They have treated me very well in wet and snowy conditions, but your driving habits will dictate more on that anyway.

Jim Hanzak
12/21/2006, 03:08 PM
I have Michelin 245/70/16 on my VX right now. Theyre quiet running but not that great in the snow. If youre where theres no snow, great tire. I recently bought a full set of Super swamper 265/70/16 along with a full set of new 16x8 moto metal rims. Cant wait till spring to put them on. Is it spring yet? ...........its gonna be a long winter. lol Cant wait to get a pic of my VX on here also.