PDA

View Full Version : Painting VXC Skidplates

biju
12/20/2006, 11:10 AM
I purchased a set of raw VXC skidplates from Ron... I bought them raw (unfinished) because I wasn't sure what color I wanted them at that time...

For those of you who have painted skidplates from Ron, is the paint just rattle-can paint? ... or is it professional autobody paint?

Either way - how has the paint on the skidplate held up over time?

Thanks.

-biju.

VCrossfan
12/20/2006, 12:38 PM
I bought a RAW front skid from ron, had my buddies body shop shoot it. I sanded (warm water and started with wet/dry 220 then 400) it down raw smooth then primed, my buddies shop sealed it then mixed the Isuzu exact color and shot it with PPG. Been on alittle under a year and is as smooth and durable as the rest of the VX. Don't skimp on cost and use a rattle can, spray it with automotive paint. It's out front and takes more abuse than every other panel else on the VX...good luck

Finished pic below...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/Front_skid_003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/Front_skid_003.jpg)

WormGod
12/21/2006, 08:09 AM
+1

I seriously wouldnt use spray paint on it because they get quite a bit of roadwear. Spray paint will chip, fade, and wear faster. I had Ron finish mine in a gunmetal gray and it is quite durable. A few years now and nil a chip. Spend the extra dollars and get it professionally finished or you will find yourself with an eyesore after some road time with just spray paint.

wekilled
12/25/2006, 02:05 AM
I also bought Ron skids in raw form and if you have painted cars before you can get a similiar quality from using auto paint in spray cans.

It takes more elbow grease-I prepped and sanded between coats and laid paint in several layers and thickly which is much easier using a gun/compressor. You'll need to find a dust free area too, such as a garage versus someplace dust motes and that one large bug attracted to the paint.

The key here is patience and elbow grease and lots of sanding.

Anyway, if you have more time than money it can be done and still look professional.

-Doug Wekell
Baghdad Iraq