PDA

View Full Version : VX Fuel

garfull
12/19/2006, 10:01 PM
What octane gas are most of you using in your VX. I've gotten 15mpg on my last tank with power mode on. This was my first tank since I bought the VX. I was hoping to get close to 18 mpgs.

uncle_asa
12/20/2006, 01:25 AM
What octane gas are most of you using in your VX. I've gotten 15mpg on my last tank with power mode on. This was my first tank since I bought the VX. I was hoping to get close to 18 mpgs.
I use AI-92 (87 in US) and AI-95 (89 in US) and does not feel any difference in mileage. The selection depends on how much I trust to the gas station (because of poor quality of fuel in Russia, especially in province).
Check you tires inflation and air filter, this is very cheap, but may significantly affect fuel economy.

WILLY
12/20/2006, 01:31 AM
I Use 93 Octane With Power Mode On All The Time And I Get The Best Mileage This Way.and The Vx Performs Much Better.

WormGod
12/20/2006, 07:23 AM
I run 91 and get from my driveway to the sidewalk on a full tank. :p

Aello
12/20/2006, 09:32 AM
I use 87 and 89 and 91...just depends on the cost. I get 15 but I really would like to get better. I have changed my driving habits so that I ride my motorcycle more to make up for the gas prices.

nfpgasmask
12/20/2006, 09:56 AM
I've been filling up with MID-GRADE lately. I'm not sure what octane that is. I think the VX runs better with cleaner fuel, but it might just be my imagination...

Bart

garfull
12/20/2006, 11:01 AM
i guess ill just have to experiment with the different grades and just see what my vx likes best vs what my wallet can handle.

zilik
12/20/2006, 11:08 AM
The octane rating of fuel has no effect on gas milage. Octane is is a measure of the fuels anti-nock ability. I think the owners manual states the VX needs 87 octane fuel so that's what you should put in it unless of course it's supercharged then you need to run a premium grade. Running a higher octane grade of fuel is just waisting money. Fuel brands do differ and using known brands is probably best as they put the best additives in. Chevron's Techron is the best fuel injector additive around. Keeps em nice and clean. Stay away from unknown sources, such as Kum and Go, 7-11 etc. These guys often by the bottom of the barrel and you don't know what your getting.

Driving habits make a difference in milage but the VX aint no gas sipper so it can only get worse. I disagree with the guys that say the power button gets better milage, cause mine don't. My scangage reports milage everytime I fill up and it's accurate. With powerdrive off I get 19.5 -20.0 normal driving (not much stop and go) and just about 18 with it on. I prefer the powerdrive so thats what I drive in 99.9% of the time.

JHarris1385
12/20/2006, 11:18 AM
Well stated zilik....... I was about to post the same thing.

uncle_asa
12/20/2006, 01:14 PM
And it is important that fuel should be unleaded. Otherwise you kill your catalytic converter quickly.

djkymar
12/20/2006, 03:40 PM
well im using 89 its the best for my VX cuz i tryed put 87 and i got bad milege and less power, with premium one i got same as i use 89 so im usung 89 def.
Just mine 2 cents

k4tmc
12/20/2006, 04:09 PM
I just completed a 330 mile trip this week that had me traveling half of the trip with 500 lbs of excess weight. When I refueled I got 19.27mpg using 92 octane.

IndianaVX
12/21/2006, 07:39 AM
hey gar,
since you have just gotten your vx, (welcome to the family) you probably should make it your own by doing some maintanance. off the top of my head, new pcv valve, clean the egr, and the "tube" (do a search) and clean the trottle body, clean iac. these are things i do, and others i think, when im getting bad gas mileage. there may be some things ive left out, but do a search on poor gas mileage, youll catch on.
congrads, and welcome
david

Zorak
12/21/2006, 09:06 AM
And it is important that fuel should be unleaded. Otherwise you kill your catalytic converter quickly.

Maybe you can still get leaded gas in RU, but gas stations here stopped selling it at least 15-20 years ago. New cars don't even carry the "unleaded gas only" labels anymore--you can't get any other kind in the US, at least not intended for highway use.

Mark B
12/21/2006, 10:28 AM
I run 87 most of the time. Once in a while I put in 93. I don't know if 93 makes the VX run any better. Guess that I think that if I use higher octane and it costs more, it will run better.

garfull
12/21/2006, 12:12 PM
thanks for the tips. ill do some research on how to do all those and see if i can get t done myself.

hey gar,
since you have just gotten your vx, (welcome to the family) you probably should make it your own by doing some maintanance. off the top of my head, new pcv valve, clean the egr, and the "tube" (do a search) and clean the trottle body, clean iac. these are things i do, and others i think, when im getting bad gas mileage. there may be some things ive left out, but do a search on poor gas mileage, youll catch on.
congrads, and welcome
david

geshaw30
12/21/2006, 12:41 PM
Correct you are zlilk...increasing your fuel grade past recommended makes no difference what so ever. Save your dimes & nickels people and stick to what the manual recommends.

Here's another little tid bit of information- avoid gassing up when a fuel delivery truck is in the process of re-stocking tanks. It's the same line of thought as burning your VX tank down to near empty. You're getting sludge. In the case of your local "Exxon/Shell/BP 24hr Megaplex" the new fuel being pumped into the holding tanks is kicking up the crap settled down in the bottom. That little pearl came from a friendly local petro engineer despite the fact that the delivery guy will tell you otherwise.
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.info)

WILLY
12/22/2006, 01:56 AM
My manual say to use 87 octane (or higher),I have been told the higher the octane the better it burns which makes the motor run better and less sluggish.I duno for sure but i use 93 octane anyway,to me a few pennies is no big deal.and its a good thing there are inline filters on the fuel pumps and on my vehicles cause i would run out of fuel if i didn't fuel up when the stations are getting fresh fuel,seems like there always getting new fuel lol. :eek:

Clyde
12/22/2006, 04:58 PM
I Use 93 Octane With Power Mode On All The Time And I Get The Best Mileage This Way.and The Vx Performs Much Better.

I'm with Willy on the power mode on all the time. I have noticed the same thing....that my gas mileage improves when I leave the power mode on. Although I differ with Willy in that I use regular 87 octane. I can't tell a difference by using the higher octane in my VX.

Y33TREKker
12/23/2006, 09:28 AM
There are too many variables involved to be able to say what will provide the best mileage for everyone; driving style, local terrain, local climate, wheels and tires, overall vehicle weight, engine configuration (super-charged), etc, so what ends up providing the best mileage for each different owner will just be a matter of trial and error .

The stock compression ratio for the VX's 3.5L is 9.1:1, so anything above 87-89 octane really wouldn't be necessary/beneficial. Higher octane fuels burn slower so that they don't pre-detonate in higher compression engines, like most motorcycles that run around 10:1 or 11:1. That's usually what the fuel octane recommendations listed in the vehicle owners' manual are based on.

Depending on when it was changed last, you might also try replacing the air filter when checking all the other maintenance items listed already.

PHO2GR4
12/23/2006, 09:51 AM
As dumb as it sounds, the VX roof racks also decrease mileage.

Wahhhhhhhh!

marcosv6
12/23/2006, 10:07 AM
You are in California whichs uses alcohol as an additive to keep the air clean. What they don't tell you is that alcohol is less efficient than gasoline. Therefore the air is cleaner but you have to burn more to get that result. Kind of stupid?

Go up to Oregon and fill up, you will notice the difference!

The odometer is calibrated to read with the original diameter tires. If you have change that diameter, your mpg will change also. Bigger tire= lower odometer reading=lower mpg.

Don