PDA

View Full Version : weird howling noise in my vx

protonvxmatt
12/19/2006, 05:13 PM
last week end i got stuck in some water after being run off the the road by a lunatic driver who would not move over. my exhaust system was under water and i got some water in my cabin. ever since i have noticed a high pitched howling noise emanating from my engine bay some where. is this serious enough to take it to a dealer? or will it go away? i figured maybe some of ya'll who have been through deep water before might have an answer for this. if any ideas at all please help.

thank you.

Bimati
12/19/2006, 05:32 PM
Belts squealing/slipping now that they've been washed clean along with the pulleys? :confused:

Bim

Ldub
12/19/2006, 07:41 PM
Possibly the alternator saying good-bye. :(

ZEUS
12/19/2006, 08:08 PM
If the water was that deep you really should change all fluids... diffs, radiator, oil, tranny, transfer case, maybe even brakes and power steering if you want. Your vent lines may have been under water and that could contaminate the fluids in your housings. It would also be a good idea to get things lubed up again, and get the bearings re-packed. Also, keep an eye out for leaks cuz if the water was dirty enough it could cause problems with seals after constant grit wearing into rubber. I have used 3-in-1 oil on noisey pulleys (the bearings, not the grooves) in the past with great results, and maybe try out some belt dressing on the belt too. Good luck, I hope it isn't anything too serious!

WILLY
12/20/2006, 01:35 AM
I Agree Zeus,water Can Git Into Everything If Summerged.i Would Change Everything Befor I Drive It Anymore.

thedutchguy
12/20/2006, 04:23 AM
you're not clear enough.
Does it only occur whilst driving or all the time even when the vx is standing still?

Ldub
12/20/2006, 06:48 AM
Zeus makes a good point...I packed my bearings this fall, right after a wheeling trip that included quite a bit of "puddle play."
It was in N. Mn, in iron range country, so there was no mistaking the color/ texture of the soil for anythng else.
Upon dis-assembly, I found a small amount of this soil inside the bearings that had blown by the seals...the 4-wheeler gods smiled on me that day, as I was thinking of waiting until spring to do that maintenence.
That's my story, & you know the rest...

WormGod
12/20/2006, 07:28 AM
you're not clear enough.
Does it only occur whilst driving or all the time even when the vx is standing still?

Aye, that is the question. Could be a belt, alternator, anything, fan, etc.... any more info?

protonvxmatt
01/01/2007, 04:29 PM
Well i took it to a shop and found out that the source of the problem is that a bearing is going out in my ac clutch or something like that. i took off my belt and spun the pulley and sure enough i could hear a grinding coming from it.
the mechanic says it will cost approximately 700 dollars to replace and install a new clutch assembly for my a/c. is their any way i can get around this or get an a/c clutch cheaper? thank you all for your advice.

biju
01/01/2007, 04:32 PM
Hmmm...

possibly ebay - or maybe www.car-parts.com

??

Just a thought.

-biju.

ZEUS
01/02/2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.a-aironline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2057

If you could install this entire compressor yourself and take your VX somewhere to get the system charged or whatever, you might save some dough. I think the shop would charge more for labor than they would for the parts you need so do as much labor as you can yourself.

http://www.junkyarddog.com/ Check this place out as well. It searches all the participating junkyards in the country for the parts you need. You might have better results if you say you have a Trooper, not sure. Good luck!