PDA

View Full Version : VehiCross Caviar

skullcap
05/03/2003, 08:53 PM
OK, this is as off-the-wall as I promise I will ever get.

For the recent Misty Mountain Meet in Rabun Gap, Georgia, I whipped-up a mess-o-mamma's "Georgia Caviar" (it was really my aunt's recipe, it just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely).

Basically, it's a cold marinated corn and bean salsa that makes for easy and tasty party kibble.

Joe_Black had asked me for the recipe in a PM. Then, a few minutes ago, while proceeding to clean-up my PM account, it hit me: Yellow & White Corn, Black Beans, Red Tomatoes and Green Chilies; it has almost all of the colors of VehiCross available in the US (sorry, no Silver veggies come to mind).

Anyway, here is the recipe, and I'm renaming it to VehiCross Caviar . So fix up o'mess for your potlucks and parties, and remember some for your next VX meet.

One can each of drained:

Green Giant Mexi-Corn
Green Giant Sweet Yellow & White Corn
Green Giant White Shoepeg Corn
Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis (Extra Hot)

One can each of rinsed and drained:
Black beans
Black-eyed peas

Mix the above and add 1/4 cup each:
Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing
chopped fresh cilantro

Just allow to marinate overnight (12-hours) in the fridge, stir and enjoy as a dip (best with Fritos Scoops) or as a side-dish. ;Db;

Joe_Black
05/03/2003, 11:41 PM
Mmmm mmmm GOOD! ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db;

Lori
05/05/2003, 05:26 AM
Had to read this thread ... "Vehicross caviar," I couldn't imagine.

I was one of the lucky ones who enjoyed the dish at the recent Misty Mountain meet. Thanks "PlantMan" fo the recipe!

BTW, I was telling a group of bicyclists this past weekend about your sure fire recipe for chigger control. Unfortunately, I could not recall the name of the powder--is it sulfate, as someone suggested?

Lori

skullcap
05/05/2003, 07:01 AM
Mix equal parts of Flowers of Sulphur (powder available from pharmacy) and baby powder. pour this mixture into an old sock (nylon works best). Tie a knot in the sock to prevent spillage and store in an old margarine tub or zip lock bag.

Anytime you venture into chigger territory, just dab some powder onto your socks, the hem of your pants and waistline.

The sulphur forms a foolproof barrier against chiggers 'cause it kills the little bacteria in their digestive tracts.

Go forth into the woods and enjoy! Oh, and for poison ivy, look for Tecnu products at any camping supplier. This stuff can prevent or minimize a reaction from contact with toxic plant oils.